PITTSBURGH As the feast of St. Francis of Assisi approaches, CatholicMatch.com, the nation's leading Catholic dating site, has new insights on pet ownership among the faithful.
A national survey reveals that the majority of single Catholics own pets, a key source of companionship. Unmarried women are more likely to have pets than their male counterparts. The survey also reveals that twice as many singles own dogs as cats.
Single life is a lot less lonely when you can come home to a pet every day, says Brian Barcaro, president of CatholicMatch.com. Singles say their pets provide companionship and demonstrate a host of virtues, from loyalty to unconditional love.
Specific highlights include:
- 60 percent of single Catholics own a pet
- Among the 40 percent of single Catholics who dont own a pet, 64 percent say they would consider getting one.
- Among singles, there are twice as many dog owners (33 percent) as cat owners (15 percent). Though dogs are more popular than cats among Americans in general, this disparity exceeds the national average, proving canines disproportionate popularity among unmarried Americans.
- 10 percent of singles own both a dog and a cat or multiple of each.
- Dogs are most popular with 18- to 25-year-olds: 41 percent of polled single Catholics in this age group own dogs. Cats, conversely, are most popular with older singles: 17 percent of those who are 51 and older own cats.
This data was pulled from a national survey issued by CatholicMatch.com over its network and represents the attitudes and behaviors of the more than 1,000 single men and women that completed this poll between Aug. 1 to Aug. 24, 2011.
I have three cats and one foster cat, said Steven-94269, a 47-year-old Catholic from Wendell, N.C., who has never been married. They are great companions. Now if only I could teach them to clean their own litter boxes.
I had two Shih Tzus, said Jacqueline-198, a Newark, N.J., resident who, at 48, has never wed. My male died in May after 15.5 years of happiness and love. I have a female and she has made things easier otherwise this house would be really lonely.
Actually I have 6 dogs, 5 cats, 9 birds and 5 horses, said Marilyn-362785, a 60-year-old divorced Catholic from Grand Rapids, Mich. I love them all, and they are my family.
# # #