Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share
Topics from forums which did not have at least 2 new topics per month for the past 6 months are archived here.
05/12/2012 new

(Quote) Deborah-550454 said: Nowadays, a child of four years old wouldn't be allowed to start kindergarten. In ...
(Quote) Deborah-550454 said:

Nowadays, a child of four years old wouldn't be allowed to start kindergarten. In 1960 when I turned four you could start kindergarten at that age as long as you turned five years old before a certain date in October. My teacher was one for perseverance. She wanted me to learn this and she demonstrated this to me by keeping me after school one day. We were supposed to cut out a picture of Paul Bunyan holding his ax. All the other children completed this little assignment without any trouble and were allowed to go home. Well, I struggled. My little fingers couldn't cut out the corners of the ax. Every time that I took her my cut out, she would look at it, throw it away and give me a fresh paper and then make me go back and try again. I sat there trying for what seemed an eternity, and in truth, I cannot tell you if I finally cut the ax out to her satisfaction or if she took pity on me and let me go home. I suspect that the latter is true.

I do remember what I went through trying to please her. Humiliation, shame, tears. No matter how I tried, I couldn't please her, couldn't do it right. After that day I refused to go to school. I would walk a little ways from the house and sit down on the curb until my mother came out and made me go. All of this reminds me that ' God does not demand that I be successful. God demands that I be faithful.' I cling to that...because I know that I will never get it completely right .......but if I am faithful..He will let me come home anyway.

--hide--

Such a sad story, Debbie. Teachers should encourage perseverance, but not through punishment and humiliation. irked

I offer help to students who need it, often letting them come in my classroom during breakfast or lunch to review for a test or help them with a project if they are struggling. When a student rises to a challenge and eventually succeeds, I celebrate with them..... yeah, kids chuckle when I draw smiley balloons and confetti on their papers and then proceed to dance around the room in celebration, but it makes them feel good that I share in their successes. balloon discoball clap biggrin

05/12/2012 new

(Quote) Brenda-74660 said: I will pray for you and your friends and family. Everyone reacts differently when it comes to lo...
(Quote) Brenda-74660 said: I will pray for you and your friends and family.

Everyone reacts differently when it comes to loss. Last year when I suddenly lost Andrew I was numb, I could not cry. It took time and God's healing beginning in me before the tears flowed.

My best advice to anyone giving comfort is let them know you are there when they need a hug or an ear to listen. and for/with them...... One of my friends cried for me because I could not cry......

My thoughts and prayers go out to you.

--hide--

Thank you Brenda. rose

05/12/2012 new

(Quote) Colette-443908 said: A comforting poem by Emily Dickinson:"And if I go, while you a...
(Quote) Colette-443908 said:

A comforting poem by Emily Dickinson:

"And if I go, while you are still here.

Know that I live on, vibrating to a different measure,

behind a thin veil you cannot see through.

You will not see me so you must have faith.

I can't wait for the time when we can soar together again, both aware of each other.

Until then, live your life to the fullest and when you need me,

Just whisper my name in your heart... I will be there."

~Emily Dickinson~

--hide--

What a beautiful poem Colette, thank you for posting this. I'm sorry that you have had difficult experiences with your students and now these tragedies of young life lost at your school. These past few weeks have been hard for you. rose hug

Praying rosary theheart

05/12/2012 new
(Quote) Deborah-550454 said: Thank you Brenda.

Thank you Brenda.

--hide--

"IF YOU ARE WHAT YOU SHOULD BE, YOU WILL SET THE WHOLE WORLD ON FIRE." "LET THE TRUTH BE YOUR DELIGHT.... PROCLAIM IT..., BUT WITH A CERTAIN CONGENIALITY." ~ St. Catherine of Siena

You are most welcome...
05/12/2012 new

(Quote) Deborah-550454 said: What a beautiful poem Colette, thank you for posting this. I'm sorry that you have...

What a beautiful poem Colette, thank you for posting this. I'm sorry that you have had difficult experiences with your students and now these tragedies of young life lost at your school. These past few weeks have been hard for you.

--hide--

The student who drowned attended the high school in my district. A nephew of the victim who lived with him is in one of my classes. So difficult to hear this kind of thing, and even more difficult to see one of my students suffering because of it. Rescue teams were still searching for the body up until yesterday. All afternoon we heard the helicopters going back and forth overhead searching the river. sad Praying

05/12/2012 new
(Quote) Colette-443908 said: The student who drowned attended the high school in my district. A nephew of the victim who lived wi...

The student who drowned attended the high school in my district. A nephew of the victim who lived with him is in one of my classes. So difficult to hear this kind of thing, and even more difficult to see one of my students suffering because of it. Rescue teams were still searching for the body up until yesterday. All afternoon we heard the helicopters going back and forth overhead searching the river.

--hide--

Very sad....prayers offered sad
05/12/2012 new

(Quote) Brenda-74660 said: Very sad....prayers offered
(Quote) Brenda-74660 said:

Very sad....prayers offered
--hide--

Thank you, Brenda. hug

05/12/2012 new

(Quote) Ginger-791603 said: And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over ...
(Quote) Ginger-791603 said:

And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

- Genesis 1:26

--hide--

The Lord by wisdom founded the earth,

established the heavens by understanding.

By his knowledge the depths break open,

and the clouds drop the dew.

Proverbs 2:19-20

theheart

05/12/2012 new

(Quote) Colette-443908 said: (Quote) Deborah-550454 said: Nowadays, a child of four years ol...

Quote:
Deborah-550454 said:

Nowadays, a child of four years old wouldn't be allowed to start kindergarten. In 1960 when I turned four you could start kindergarten at that age as long as you turned five years old before a certain date in October. My teacher was one for perseverance. She wanted me to learn this and she demonstrated this to me by keeping me after school one day. We were supposed to cut out a picture of Paul Bunyan holding his ax. All the other children completed this little assignment without any trouble and were allowed to go home. Well, I struggled. My little fingers couldn't cut out the corners of the ax. Every time that I took her my cut out, she would look at it, throw it away and give me a fresh paper and then make me go back and try again. I sat there trying for what seemed an eternity, and in truth, I cannot tell you if I finally cut the ax out to her satisfaction or if she took pity on me and let me go home. I suspect that the latter is true.

I do remember what I went through trying to please her. Humiliation, shame, tears. No matter how I tried, I couldn't please her, couldn't do it right. After that day I refused to go to school. I would walk a little ways from the house and sit down on the curb until my mother came out and made me go. All of this reminds me that ' God does not demand that I be successful. God demands that I be faithful.' I cling to that...because I know that I will never get it completely right .......but if I am faithful..He will let me come home anyway.

Such a sad story, Debbie. Teachers should encourage perseverance, but not through punishment and humiliation.

I offer help to students who need it, often letting them come in my classroom during breakfast or lunch to review for a test or help them with a project if they are struggling. When a student rises to a challenge and eventually succeeds, I celebrate with them..... yeah, kids chuckle when I draw smiley balloons and confetti on their papers and then proceed to dance around the room in celebration, but it makes them feel good that I share in their successes.

--hide--

Thank you Colette for the support and concern. Actually....Mom told me, years later, that the teacher had called her in for a conference. Teacher wanted to know why I was always late for school. Teacher also told my mom that sometimes I would sit at my desk and suck my thumb embarassed and she asked my Mom if she caused that. She made me so upset that I sucked my thumb in public!!! irked Oh well, after all I was only four years old. I don't think I'd do that now. tongue

05/12/2012 new

I asked for strength and God gave the difficulties to make me Strong. I asked for Wisdom and God gave me problems to solve. I asked for prosperity and God gave me brawn and brain to work. I asked for courage and God gave me dangers to overcome.

I asked for Patience and God placed me in Situation where I was forced to wait. I asked for Love and God gave me troubled People to help. I asked for favors and God gave me opportunities. I asked for everything so I could enjoy Life. Instead, He gave me life so I could enjoy everything.

I received nothing I wanted... I received everything I needed!

Posts 31 - 40 of 192