Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for supportive and informative discussion about divorce and/or the annulment process. All posters must have been previously divorced or annulled.

Saint Eugene De Mazenod is patron of dysfunctional families & Saint Fabiola obtained a divorce from her first husband prior to devoting her life to charitable works.
Learn More: Saint Eugene De Mazenod and Saint Fabiola

Hi Family.

Two days ago the Deacon contacted me and said that they needed a copy of my baptism certificate as the one I gave them (from a Lutheran Church) wasn't valid. Well turns out it was, it was the ORIGINAL with a seal on it--but the seal was faint--so that was OK.

Now it seems the ORIGINAL conversion certificate isn't good enough? Who would have thought that the one with a seal, date, name, and priest's signature would not be enough??? They want one with "the date and any notations that are attached". What are "notations"???? I called the parish and the secretary said, "I think I know what they want" and she hasn't called me back, which means now I have to become her pest. I will call back tomorrow and see if she got what I needed and go get it...funny thing is it will probably be the exact same thing. I gave them the orginal. I don't understand how the original cannot be enough.

Can someone enlighten me as I am really needing a drink and some Motrin for the headache that is starting. Good thing this is "lack of form" and it's a "piece of cake" huh? I have spent over 150 dollars on documents and paper chasing that required taking 2 days off work. I know it's totally my fault for marrying outside the Church but how can an original document not work? I'm confused.

Lorrie

05/23/2012 new

I called the Tribunal--didn't even know you could do that and the lady was super nice to me on the phone. She told me what I needed to get from them and they are making sure a marrige wasn't entered into the register for me and it can't be older than 6 months. So...I have to call tomorrow and she even said they can put it on their letterhead. I cannot believe what I have to go through because I refused to follow the rules, grrr...so glad when I can get this done.

Lorrie

05/23/2012 new

Breathe, Lorrie. Deep breaths. While it won't eliminate the obstacles, it'll help keep you calmer. This, too, shall pass. hug

05/23/2012 new

hug

05/23/2012 new

It's difficult to know what exactly they need, but Lorrie is right...breathe in....breathe out.

05/23/2012 new

Hi Lorrie - everything these days takes many phone calls, many forms/documents/etc. and much followup. I think that's just a fact of life of the age we live in. That said, it can certainly be frustrating. (In Catholic grade school in the old days (the 50's), whenever something went wrong and suffering was involved the nuns suggested to offer it up (to Christ) perhaps for some intention or for the poor souls in Purgatory). Perhaps that may be a way to look at this struggle. And, the good news is since yours is an annullment of form - it will be MUCH EASIER for you than the other annullment (which I went through back in the late 80's and mine took about 15 months from start to finish and a fair amount of work! and a few meetings, etc.). So, perhaps you could try to focus on the positive while enduring the negative. This too will pass!

05/23/2012 new

Thanks everyone. Once the lady at the Tribunal explained the system I felt better and I'm totally clear now on what it is. When you are baptized or become Catholic that church holds your "record' and when you get married, in the Church, it is recorded there. They are notified. So...they are just making sure that I truly wasn't married in the Church. She said, sadly, a lot of people try to "pull a fast one" by saying it's "lack of form" when they are in fact married in the Church--so it's a way of making sure. Now that I know this I am totally OK--just got to get that on letterhead and get it to the Tribunal. Everything else is in order.

I will remember to keep calm and keep praying. Thanks so much for all your support.

Lorrie

05/23/2012 new

(Quote) Lorrie-735074 said: Thanks everyone. Once the lady at the Tribunal explained the system I felt better and I'm to...
(Quote) Lorrie-735074 said:

Thanks everyone. Once the lady at the Tribunal explained the system I felt better and I'm totally clear now on what it is. When you are baptized or become Catholic that church holds your "record' and when you get married, in the Church, it is recorded there. They are notified. So...they are just making sure that I truly wasn't married in the Church. She said, sadly, a lot of people try to "pull a fast one" by saying it's "lack of form" when they are in fact married in the Church--so it's a way of making sure. Now that I know this I am totally OK--just got to get that on letterhead and get it to the Tribunal. Everything else is in order.

I will remember to keep calm and keep praying. Thanks so much for all your support.

Lorrie

--hide--
Hello Lorrie. I ran into the exact same problem! Back in 2007, I got the papers for an anullment and also gathered all the necessary documents and then just let them set; I guess I wasn't ready. Well, this year, I decided to go at it again. I read the Tribunal papers and I couldn't believe what I read; I had to get new baptismal certificates that were less than 6 months old.
Thank goodness I don't have to get any of the other papers again. This is the funny part. I went to get a current Baptismal Certificate for my ex and his Church would not give me one unless my ex gave them permission. I said, "I don't think so..." (*grin*) So, I had to call the Tribunal again and they'll will call his Church where he was baptized and order the certificate.
The lady at the Tribunal was super nice and I told her this time I wasn't sitting on it and planned to follow through with it. She laughed and said I'd better or I'd have to re-order Baptismal Certificates again.

I don't know why I don't have to re-order the CC Marriage Cert, the Civil Marriage Cert, or the Divorce Decree?

10/09/2012 new

I've never heard of needing a baptismimal certificate, they never asked for mine. I was baptised baptist and my annulment is filed in AL.

10/10/2012 new

Lorrie,

Be grateful that you are in a state that does this. I was told the same thing by our tribunal rep. New York state does NOT handle the notations in this fashion. I thought it was odd, but it states so on the archdiocese website. Craziest thing I ever heard of. I not only had to obtain current documents, but I had three different churches to contact. I do not know how the tribunal is going to accept it here, but we'll see. I hope this is over for you soon! heart

Posts 1 - 10 of 15