Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

Singles discussion related to wedding planning, engagement, and married life should be posted in this room.

Saint Valentine is patron saint of love, young people, and happy marriages.
Learn More: Saint Valentine

Too young to marry

05/30/2012 new

In those days they didnt have marriage prep. I was 22 but very young in myself. I thought marriage was kind of being in roles. Working husband, wife and mother at home etc. I never knew that my husband had particular needs and he was very closed. The annullment was on the ground, not decided by me. that I was ttoo immature to understand marriage. I railed against this decidison at first but now realise it was true What do others thhink if the decision for annullmennt kind "blames"
you

05/30/2012 new

I don't think it's really "blaming" you. It is attempting to state a fact. This too was one of the grounds used for my annullment. I was 20 when we ot married and my husband was 19. Although, the way it was stated to me (and this was in the late 80's) was that we were too young to know and understand what a sacramental "Catholic" marriage consisted of. I had no problem with that, and was glad that the annullment was granted.

05/30/2012 new

(Quote) Patricia-29176 said: I don't think it's really "blaming" you. It is attempting to state a ...
(Quote) Patricia-29176 said:

I don't think it's really "blaming" you. It is attempting to state a fact. This too was one of the grounds used for my annullment. I was 20 when we ot married and my husband was 19. Although, the way it was stated to me (and this was in the late 80's) was that we were too young to know and understand what a sacramental "Catholic" marriage consisted of. I had no problem with that, and was glad that the annullment was granted.

--hide--

That pretty much speaks to a vast amount of Catholics, Patricia.

05/30/2012 new

Hi Claire,

Your case was reviewed by a "disinterested" 3rd party. Sometimes they see things that we don't. As far as mine, I was just plain stupid. I married a "non-marriable" guy, so the annulment was pretty quick. I had no problem accepting "blame" since it was true. Took me a few years, but I grew alot from that stupid mistake.

Joanna

05/31/2012 new

Mine was "lack of due discretion" which I intrepreted as "young and dumb" and/ior "What the heck were You thinking, woman?!!!" I could not disagree with that judgment at all.

06/01/2012 new

(Quote) Laurie-523231 said: Mine was "lack of due discretion" which I intrepreted as "young and dumb" an...
(Quote) Laurie-523231 said:

Mine was "lack of due discretion" which I intrepreted as "young and dumb" and/ior "What the heck were You thinking, woman?!!!" I could not disagree with that judgment at all.

--hide--

According to the tribunal lawyer, "lack of due discretion" is the catch-all when they can't find any other reason to grant an annulment. Pretty sadembarassed ashamed embarassed ashamed rolling eyes

06/01/2012 new

(Quote) Joan-529855 said: According to the tribunal lawyer, "lack of due discretion" is the catch-all when the...
(Quote) Joan-529855 said:

According to the tribunal lawyer, "lack of due discretion" is the catch-all when they can't find any other reason to grant an annulment. Pretty sad

--hide--

Did you happen to ask why they wouldn't just reject the petition if they couldn't find a specific justification to grant it?

06/01/2012 new

(Quote) Jerry-74383 said: Did you happen to ask why they wouldn't just reject the petition if they couldn't...
(Quote) Jerry-74383 said:

Did you happen to ask why they wouldn't just reject the petition if they couldn't find a specific justification to grant it?

--hide--

Excellent question Jerry!! I've worried about that in completing the final submission. I spent a BUNCH of year ignoring it, because I didn't think I was worthy. I spent a few more rationalizing that I 'should' have been old enough to know better and recognize the warning signs. Did I really deserve an annulment?

I believe it is in God's hands. If the annulment is not granted, God has a reason for it. If it is granted, that's part of God's plan, too. No one can assume any reaons why or why not a reason is used. I think that answer is ultimately given by God as well. I just am glad that I'm not in the position to make those judgment calls!

06/01/2012 new

(Quote) Joan-529855 said: According to the tribunal lawyer, "lack of due discretion" is the catch-all when they can't...
(Quote) Joan-529855 said: According to the tribunal lawyer, "lack of due discretion" is the catch-all when they can't find any other reason to grant an annulment. Pretty sad
--hide--

Joan - I have to say I enjoy reading your posts. They are insightful and educational. And I do look forward to hearing more of your views in the future.

Keep in mind, that "lack of due discretion" has all the full force and effect of all the other reasons for granting an annulment.

To Jerry's question - there is a defender of the bond of marriage who is present in the proceedings, so any reasons that cannot establish a grounds for an annulment - I'm speculating here, Jerry - likely would eminate from that person.

The annulment process was very educational to me, mostly because I learned things in it that I never heard in years of Catholic grade school, high school and university educations. And I see people on here committing errors that would be grounds for an annulment and just pray that someone intervenes to point out the error before it's too late. To this end, I think the potential of CM in the Catholic church has yet to be fully tapped ...

06/01/2012 new

(Quote) John-727073 said:errors that would be grounds for an annulment
(Quote) John-727073 said:errors that would be grounds for an annulment
--hide--

Let me clarify here: "errors that could be grounds for a future annulment"

The problem with being an editor is that we are always re-writing and revising. wink

Posts 1 - 10 of 27