Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion of sports, non-video games & hobbies! Football, baseball, basketball, hockey, or your own personal favorite. Brag about your team and explain why the refs blew the big game! Discuss your passion for Corn Hole, Horseshoes,Texas Hold'em or other games.

Saint Christopher is the patron saint of the playing field.
Learn More:Saint Christopher

With the nice weather here or fast approaching (in some areas) let's talk about a favorite year-round activity (but especially nice in moderate weather) and that is - Camping! Please share with us a favorite camping experience, funny story, a really great place to camp (is it a state park, national park, private place, your own land...), or maybe something you have found really helpful. scratchchin What are your favorite activities when you are in the great outdoors? Do you have any camping recipes to share? Any really scary experiences (especially that the rest of us can learn from)? shocked

Come on down by the campfire and share you stories with us....maybe about the fish that got away. wink Chirp Chirp Gone Fishing! laughing shhh

You go first. mischievous

06/13/2012 new

Well, as far as here in the Midwest I definitely like a little campground in the Shawnee National Forest, not far from the town of Carbondale (Universtiy town)...the campground is right there in a little area called Crab Orchard National Wildllife Refuge...very pretty, lot's of wildlife (no, not the college students or campers). wink You can camp right along the shore of the lake, or under a beautiful canopy of trees...it is a nice size, not too large.

I also like a couple of places in Indiana...Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore (Dunewoods Campground)...right there on Lake Michigan (almost) - it is gorgeous - love the water and waves...don't go much for climbing the dunes anymore ( I have been a few times...the first time with my family when I was a little girl, once as an artist-in-residence, and a couple of other times with nephews), there are plenty of regular trails through woodlands and marshes. It is close enought to a couple of towns, you can take the train there from Chicago, easy access from any direction, conveniences, summer residents but still some areas feel remote. If you are inclined you can take a quick drive up into Michigan (I am hoping some Michiganders will tell me about the best places to camp in their great state). scratchchin

Another place I hear is supposed to be really nice in Indiana is Turkey Run State Park...haven't camped there yet but hoping someone here can tell us about it. I was in the area last year when I went to the CM Indy Farm/Camping Outing (see the Events page for details but I can tell you it is lot's of fun!!!). That part of the state is quite beautiful (as is the setting for the Farm Outing).

I've been camping in a number of other states and certainly there are lot's of other great places here in the Midwest...hoping someone else will post in here and tell us about them. ???? scratchchin wave

06/13/2012 new

Great thread, Helen! clap

I did a ton of camping as a child, as a girl scout, as a young married gal, and as a cub/boy scout leader when my son was growing up. I no longer sleep on the ground without an air mattress tho - I need a bit of comfort these days for these old bones. laughing I had a pop up camper for a few years and got kinda spoiled by that, but I still enjoy tent camping too.

I've been to the places you've mentioned in Indiana, the Dunes is a lot of fun. The State Parks here are very nice - clean, safe, and plenty of activities for every level. We used to do Spring Mill State Park every October - there is something so nice about the crisp fall air, the crunchy leaves, all the gorgeous colors. Every three years growing up, my family would go to the UP in Michigan just north of Mackinaw Island in Sault Ste Marie - it's a pretty area too.

My favorite part, hands down, are the campfires. heart

06/14/2012 new

Hi Mary,
You certainly have lot's of experience and of course I know from camping with you at the CM Indy Farm Outing last year that you are a natural outdoorswoman and lot's of fun!!! I can hardly wait til October for the next CM Indy Farm Outing...that part of Indiana is beautiful in autumn.

I am curious to know where Spring Mill State Park is...what part of Indiana?

I would love to go camping in the UP of Michigan and Mackinaw Island and that whole area sounds wonderful...I would also like to go camping at the Apostle Islands in the very N.W. part of Wisconsin. I would love to go fly-fishing up north...I'm no expert but I do enjoy it, maybe do some kayaking, and maybe raft some smaller rapids.?? eyepopping goldfish

We have a lot in common - some of my favorite childhood memories are also of our family going on our annual camping trip each summer...we went hiking, swimming, saw all the historic places, etc...and I must say that I really enjoyed the campfires, too. We always went tent camping and I still love that (like cabins also) but I find that now I have to take a memory foam pad to put my sleeping bag on and it generally provides enough comfort....your air mattress suggestion is also great! I also tend to find sleeping bags somewhat confining so now I usually take sheets and blankets (yes, I'm one of those that likes the bedding untucked rolling eyes embarassed ...first thing I do when I go to a hotel is untuck those tight sheets and blankets...).

Well, I hope some other people join in here and share their memories and helpful hints. I've enjoyed hearing about your experiences, Mary! wave

06/14/2012 new

(Quote) Helen-407474 said: With the nice weather here or fast approaching (in some areas) let's talk about a favorite ye...
(Quote) Helen-407474 said:

With the nice weather here or fast approaching (in some areas) let's talk about a favorite year-round activity (but especially nice in moderate weather) and that is - Camping! Please share with us a favorite camping experience, funny story, a really great place to camp (is it a state park, national park, private place, your own land...), or maybe something you have found really helpful. What are your favorite activities when you are in the great outdoors? Do you have any camping recipes to share? Any really scary experiences (especially that the rest of us can learn from)?

Come on down by the campfire and share you stories with us....maybe about the fish that got away.

You go first.

--hide--

Hey there Helen, I havent been to alot of different places... Tims farm is a good one of course... Shakamack State Park is pretty close by, they have cabins there that are pretty nice. Been campin in the backyard a few times... hehe... I think my favorite place is up in Canada, aye, the Boundary Waters Canoe Area.
As you know there is nothin like a good fire when a person is campin, Jiffy Pop is good to cook over the fire, a buddy of mine makes a peach cobbler in a dutch oven that is really good, and its easy. a game of euchre is always good too... hehe...

06/14/2012 new

(Quote) Dennis-754668 said: Hey there Helen, I havent been to alot of different places... Tims farm is a good one of...
(Quote) Dennis-754668 said:

Hey there Helen, I havent been to alot of different places... Tims farm is a good one of course... Shakamack State Park is pretty close by, they have cabins there that are pretty nice. Been campin in the backyard a few times... hehe... I think my favorite place is up in Canada, aye, the Boundary Waters Canoe Area.
As you know there is nothin like a good fire when a person is campin, Jiffy Pop is good to cook over the fire, a buddy of mine makes a peach cobbler in a dutch oven that is really good, and its easy. a game of euchre is always good too... hehe...

--hide--

Hi Dennis! wave

I went on a camping weekend with friends once where we did ALL dutch oven cooking - every meal, the entire weekend. It was our own personal challenge and it was wonderful - breakfast scrambles, chili, goulash, chicken pot pie, cobbler and of course Dump Cake. I miss making Jiffy Pop - I haven't seen it in the stores for a long time. We also boiled a pot of water and dropped in our individual baggies of omelet fixings - eggs, muchrooms, cheese, peppers, etc. Those turned out nicely too. biggrin

Wonder if we can rig up a tripod to hold a dutch oven over the campfire, and also a big grate to put evenly across the fire for cooking several things at once at the Farm Outing. You're officially in charge of the fire this year - work on that, will ya? wink laughing

One of my happiest childhood vacations was the Minnesota Boundary Waters canoe trip I took with my Dad and three brothers. Two weeks of BEAUTIFUL surroundings, clean water, and great fishing. Ahhhh, good memories! heart

06/14/2012 new

Hey Dennis, How are ya? I remember talking with you about the Boundary Waters...I would love to go there but with other people as it might be just a tad too isolated for me alone...one of my brothers and a nephew went up there this past winter (my nephew is in scouting) and they loved it, they are talking about next year. My nephew slept out in the cold all three nights - my brother did one night under the stars than it was back inside (cabin or tent???) for him. Maybe someone from Minnesota or Canada will start a CM Event up there - that would be great...Mary and some of the other's who have hosted outdoor events could advise them, right Mary? wink

I agree, the campfire is great and you are a master at 'keeping the flame' as I and others learned at the CM Indy Farm Outing last year - that is a great camping event for anyone thinking about joining in...it was my first CM Event and I think it was a first for you, too, Dennis??? And as is the case with many events, the CM Farm Outing is a great family event (see the Events page)...you brought your two teenagers and they really enjoyed it...they got to enjoy some of the sports there - the shooting range and hiking for sure, can't recall if I saw them at the archery range or fishing...they enjoyed the ATV (???)... Gone Fishing! gangster goldfish

Hmmm...peach cobbler, so can we count on you to make that this year, Dennis...you did say it was easy. biggrin

I am curious about Shakamack State Park...close to Indianapolis??? Oh ya, somethin' about euchre??? wink

06/14/2012 new

Mary, stop! You are making me hungry!! Wow those all sound great and really aren't too difficult to prepare while camping...like you and Dennis menioned, a Dutch oven is great and love the omelet idea -that really is great and so easy. Yum. biggrin

What a lovely thing to do, Mary, taking your dad and brothers on a camping trip...camping - I think those are some of the best times with family and friends. Can't wait to do some camping this year. Thanks for the great cooking ideas...anyone else out there have some recipes or other suggestions for us? scratchchin

06/14/2012 new
I'm an improbable camper. wave But I did (for the CM Indy Farm Outings) purchase last year a one-man tent. Not only does it provide the privacy I enjoy, but I also feel like a butterfly penguin when I emerge from it each morning. angel

Andrew wink
06/14/2012 new
(Quote) Helen-407474 said: With the nice weather here or fast approaching (in some areas) let's talk about a favorite year-round activ...
(Quote) Helen-407474 said:

With the nice weather here or fast approaching (in some areas) let's talk about a favorite year-round activity (but especially nice in moderate weather) and that is - Camping! Please share with us a favorite camping experience, funny story, a really great place to camp (is it a state park, national park, private place, your own land...), or maybe something you have found really helpful. What are your favorite activities when you are in the great outdoors? Do you have any camping recipes to share? Any really scary experiences (especially that the rest of us can learn from)?

Come on down by the campfire and share you stories with us....maybe about the fish that got away.

You go first.

--hide--
I love to run and sail...but not at the same time..very hard to run laps around a sailboat....

www.youtube.com
Posts 1 - 10 of 68