Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

Singles discussion related to wedding planning, engagement, and married life should be posted in this room.

Saint Valentine is patron saint of love, young people, and happy marriages.
Learn More: Saint Valentine

Innovation in Marriage

06/20/2012 new

Innovation. Economists and politicians and business leaders are forever talking about innovation and how companies need to do it to thrive. And how society as a whole needs to be innovative to keep the economy strong – otherwise all the jobs will go to Third World countries.

We have seen innovation in marriage arrangements in recent years.

Mexico City floated the idea of 2-year marriage licenses last year. For starter marriages and to give couples a less risky form of marriage before committing for a lifetime. When Gaddafi was in charge in Libya, he suppressed polygamy. The new rulers in Libya have made it much easier for polygamous marriages to thrive. Same-sex marriage legalized in many countries and in several US states The introduction of optional Covenant marriages in Louisiana, Arkansas, and Arizona. These marriage contracts are much more difficult to dissolve in divorce.

I don’t think the Mexico City proposal ever passed the legislature, and Covenant marriages have not been particularly popular in the states where they exist, BUT…at least they are attempts at innovation. Most forms of innovation either fail or are middling successes. Not many are home runs. The promoters of business innovation know this and still support experiments and trials.

Now I meet people who are really, really, really in favor of item 3 and really, really, really against items 1, 2, and 4. The strengths of their opinions are surprisingly strong, too. I’m guessing around here was have people who are really, really, really against items 1, 2, and 3, and mostly in favor of item 4.

I think there is a good chance we will see more innovation in the future despite the strong opinions these innovations trigger.

06/20/2012 new

Ahhh... FORMATTING

1) Mexico City floated the idea of 2-year marriage licenses last year. For starter marriages and to give couples a less risky form of marriage before committing for a lifetime.

2) When Gaddafi was in charge in Libya, he suppressed polygamy. The new rulers in Libya have made it much easier for polygamous marriages to thrive.

3) Same-sex marriage legalized in many countries and in several US states

4) The introduction of optional Covenant marriages in Louisiana, Arkansas, and Arizona. These marriage contracts are much more difficult to dissolve in divorce.

06/20/2012 new

Nuns take provisional vows over a course of years before irrevocably committing.

The priest that officiated at my marriage was relieved of his vows a couple years later voluntarily.

Most of the stuff we are taught about the Catholic doctrine and tradition is NOT the doctrine and tradition that existed at the time of Jesus, I wonder how much of the "shoulds" and "shouldn't" of today really match those addressed by Christ's own words.

Just saying!

06/20/2012 new

Psychologists have been talking for years about what they call 'starter marriages'.. It's a short term marriage that produces no children.. The couples divorce and go their separate ways.. It won't fly among people of many faiths though, especially ours.. I watch Sister Wives on TV.. I'm fascinated by the concept.. I couldn't do it though.. I don't want to share.

06/20/2012 new

In the Netherlands, where same sex marriage has been legal for some time, "group marriage" is being proposed - not polygamy or polyandry, but groups of bi-sexuals. The "ick factor", even among proponents of same sex marriage, does kick in. Why? Because even those in favor of gay marriage are modeling, actually mimicking, their efforts on the reality of natural marriage (set aside sacramentality and just look at the anthropology of this thing). To find cases of gay marriage in human history is a fat bit of work - it just does not happen in a healthy civilization. Something about moral law being written on the human heart - however astray that heart may wander.

Take a look at this world map.

en.wikipedia.org.svg

Interestigly enough, it is the traditionally "Christian" nations that are legalizing homosexual marriage; Islamic countries penalize homosexuality, in some cases by death; and in countries with atheist governments like Cuba, China, the former USSR....they could really give a rip either way.

So how is it "Christian" nations are becoming so maladaptive in their so-called innovations?

The "trial marriage" is an interesting concept. Jews called it "betrothal", we call it "engagement". But you just can't have a "trial period" for a Sacrament. That might be a bit like having a "trial Confession" - If I don't like what the priest tells me, I'll just get a refund. We see engagement as that time of preparation for sacramental marriage.

"Mary was betrothed to Joseph but was found with Child before they lived together." Jewish betrothal sounds a bit more like what they're getting at in Mexico. A commitment has been made between the betrothed and to the community, but the marriage had not taken on the permanence of a covenant.

Fascinating stuff when you look at anthropology and moral law. There have always been maladaptive subgroups (cannibals in New Guinea, pedophiles in ancient Rome, polygamists in Utah) but for a whole civilization to become as maladaptive as ours is unheard of in human history. We don't replace our population, we euthanize our week and elderly, we kill our babies, we separate fertility from marriage and define marriage as a squishy feeling between two (or more) people.

Keep it up and we're somewhere between a fat chance and a slim chance of total collapse.

06/20/2012 new

For that world map, add .svg to your brower's url window and it will come up.

06/22/2012 new
(Quote) Donna-83441 said: Psychologists have been talking for years about what they call 'starter marriages'.. It's a short te...
(Quote) Donna-83441 said:

Psychologists have been talking for years about what they call 'starter marriages'.. It's a short term marriage that produces no children.. The couples divorce and go their separate ways.. It won't fly among people of many faiths though, especially ours.. I watch Sister Wives on TV.. I'm fascinated by the concept.. I couldn't do it though.. I don't want to share.

--hide--

Awhile back I read the Starter Marriage about this and it kind of saddened me. Psychologist had several reasons why this was happening and two of the biggest were the idea that "everyone else is why not me" and always because to some the idea of a big wedding is more exciting than marriage. I've known people in these marriages and many of them knew going in the marriage wasn't going to last.
06/22/2012 new

(Quote) Cathy-620979 said: ... Mexico City floated the idea of 2-year marriage licenses last year. For starter marria...
(Quote) Cathy-620979 said:

... Mexico City floated the idea of 2-year marriage licenses last year.

For starter marriages and to give couples a less risky form of marriage

before committing for a lifetime. ...

--hide--

Whatever such an arrangement might be called,

it can't accurately be called a marriage.

Posts 1 - 8 of 8