Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

Singles discussion related to wedding planning, engagement, and married life should be posted in this room.

Saint Valentine is patron saint of love, young people, and happy marriages.
Learn More: Saint Valentine

Am I right in thinking that the Catholic faith does not recognise a marriage performed by a public celebrant as one that needs an annulment? If a person had a divorce from that marriage would a practicing Catholic be free to marry them in a Catholic ceremony?

07/03/2012 new

(Quote) CaterinaMaria-179344 said: Am I right in thinking that the Catholic faith does not recognise a marriage performed by...
(Quote) CaterinaMaria-179344 said:

Am I right in thinking that the Catholic faith does not recognise a marriage performed by a public celebrant as one that needs an annulment? If a person had a divorce from that marriage would a practicing Catholic be free to marry them in a Catholic ceremony?

--hide--

My understanding, from the extensive RCIA class (three hours) we had on the topic of annulment was that in the United States, it was not recognized but the application for a "simple" annulment must be completed so the Church had a record of this civil marriage in case any questions arose regarding the validity of any marriage following. Simple annulment applied for a few other cut-and-dry circumstances as well (age, pregnancy/pressure to marry, non-church (any) wedding performed by a Christian minister). That last one would refer to a hotel, resort, ship, or destination wedding where a Christian pastor celebrated the marriage but it wasn't in God's house, not a Christian marriage in a different denominational house of worship.

07/03/2012 new
(Quote) CaterinaMaria-179344 said: Am I right in thinking that the Catholic faith does not recognise a marriage performed by a public cele...

--hide--

Uhhh......it is a little bit more complicated. If a person was married before becoming Catholic, then that person would be bound by the laws of the state and the canon laws of any Christian community they were a part of, if any (for example, Eastern Orthdox require marriage before an EO priest).

If a person subsequently became Catholic, then if there is any dispute on validity, these would be used to judge the validity of the marriage.
07/04/2012 new

Thanks Lynn, that gives m a clearer understanding of it.

07/04/2012 new

Thanks Paul, the detail is important in this area.

07/05/2012 new

(Quote) Paul-302787 said: Uhhh......it is a little bit more complicated. If a person was married before becoming Catholic, ...
(Quote) Paul-302787 said:

Uhhh......it is a little bit more complicated. If a person was married before becoming Catholic, then that person would be bound by the laws of the state and the canon laws of any Christian community they were a part of, if any (for example, Eastern Orthdox require marriage before an EO priest).

If a person subsequently became Catholic, then if there is any dispute on validity, these would be used to judge the validity of the marriage.
--hide--

Thanks, Paul. The Sister may have been trying to simplify. I do know of many couples that never con-validated their marriage in the Church, who had a civil marriage by a judge, and their marriages were very easy to dissolve in this A-D. Another couple, not intending to continue to be Catholic, got married in a different Christian community, and had great difficulty with con-validation---the priest resisted heavily when they requested it.

07/05/2012 new

(Quote) Lynn-189934 said: Thanks, Paul. The Sister may have been trying to simplify. I do know of many couples t...
(Quote) Lynn-189934 said:

Thanks, Paul. The Sister may have been trying to simplify. I do know of many couples that never con-validated their marriage in the Church, who had a civil marriage by a judge, and their marriages were very easy to dissolve in this A-D. Another couple, not intending to continue to be Catholic, got married in a different Christian community, and had great difficulty with con-validation---the priest resisted heavily when they requested it.

--hide--

What does con-validate mean in your context? I have an annulment myself, but I have never heard this term used before.

07/05/2012 new

(Quote) Jim-624621 said: What does con-validate mean in your context? I have an annulment myself, but I have never heard...
(Quote) Jim-624621 said:

What does con-validate mean in your context? I have an annulment myself, but I have never heard this term used before.

--hide--

Convalidation is the canonical procedure for making valid a marriage that was invalid due to a lack of consent, an impediment, or a defect of form.

07/05/2012 new

(Quote) CaterinaMaria-179344 said: Am I right in thinking that the Catholic faith does not recognise a marriage performed by...

--hide--

If one of the parties to the original marriage was Catholic at the time of the marriage, this would appear to be a situation that qualifies for a lack of form annulment, which is usually a fairly quick (4-6 week) administrative process.

If neither party was Catholic the requirement for canonical form does not apply and a full annulment proceeding will be required before one party is free to marry a Catholic in the Church.

07/05/2012 new

(Quote) Paul-302787 said: Uhhh......it is a little bit more complicated. If a person was married before becoming Catholic, ...
(Quote) Paul-302787 said:

--hide--

When two non-Catholics marry, divorce, and one later wishes to marry a Catholic or converts to Catholicism and wishes to marry, they must go through the full annulment process. I don't know for sure whether another faith's requirements for form are considered by the tribunal (I've never seen this mentioned in the canons, but I may have overlooked it, or it may be an administrative rule), but in any case this is not handled as a lack of form process for a marriage where one party was Catholic.

Posts 1 - 10 of 11