Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion related to learning about the faith (Catechetics), defense of the Faith (Apologetics), the Liturgy and canon law, motivated by a desire to grow closer to Christ or to bring someone else closer.

Saint Augustine of Hippo is considered on of the greatest Christian thinkers of all time and the Doctor of the Church.
Learn More: Saint Augustine

I can't say that I've ever heard of this person, but atheist blogger Leah Libresco is now converting to Catholicism. Leah is a bisexual, and although she says she's still struggling with the Church's teaching on homosexuality, she said she's at least "willing to not date women in the meantime". Here's to hoping that she eventually comes around to embracing the Church's teachings in total.

From an apologetics perspective, I think conversions from former atheists are the most effective at demonstrating the absolute truth to be found in the faith to non-believers. Atheists pride themselves on their use of reason, and it can be a tremendous blow to them to have one of their own recognize the abundance of reason that exists in the Church's teachings over the lack of reason (especially in the areas of philosophy and morality) to be found in atheism.

religion.blogs.cnn.com

www.theblaze.com

07/05/2012 new

Interesting, thanks for sharing!!!

07/07/2012 new

Hey Charles,

No I had not heard of her either prior to her conversion. If you like geeky stuff (as I do) you'll love her blog. I've been reading Leah's pre-conversion blogs and you can see what an intelligent and nice person she is and her growth to Catholicism. I think she's going to be fine with all the Church's teaching, but we should definitely keep her our prayers.

07/07/2012 new

Thanks for posting this Charles! wave

07/07/2012 new

(Quote) Charles-512043 said: I can't say that I've ever heard of this person, but atheist blogger Leah Libresco is n...
(Quote) Charles-512043 said:

I can't say that I've ever heard of this person, but atheist blogger Leah Libresco is now converting to Catholicism. Leah is a bisexual, and although she says she's still struggling with the Church's teaching on homosexuality, she said she's at least "willing to not date women in the meantime". Here's to hoping that she eventually comes around to embracing the Church's teachings in total.

From an apologetics perspective, I think conversions from former atheists are the most effective at demonstrating the absolute truth to be found in the faith to non-believers. Atheists pride themselves on their use of reason, and it can be a tremendous blow to them to have one of their own recognize the abundance of reason that exists in the Church's teachings over the lack of reason (especially in the areas of philosophy and morality) to be found in atheism.

religion.blogs.cnn.com

www.theblaze.com

--hide--

THIS IS SO AWESOME!!!!! theheart hyper

07/07/2012 new

5 will get you 10 she renounces her conversion within 5 years.

07/07/2012 new

(Quote) Charles-211696 said: 5 will get you 10 she renounces her conversion within 5 years.
(Quote) Charles-211696 said:

5 will get you 10 she renounces her conversion within 5 years.

--hide--

Charles- I'm interested in why you say that.

07/08/2012 new

(Quote) Matt-61677 said: Charles- I'm interested in why you say that.
(Quote) Matt-61677 said:

Charles- I'm interested in why you say that.

--hide--

Sure! I the following items stood out for me:
1) Her sexual orientation
2) Her objection to certain of the Church's teachings
3) Her (current) bf is Catholic.

To expound:
a) If she really is not heterosexual (by nature, nurture, or some mix of the two), then she is going to have extreme difficulty resolving this fundamental portion of her identity with Church teaching.
b) The Church is not going to change its canon, so unless the blogger either accepts or "comes to terms" with the teachings, she (the blogger) is going to be faced with a constant state of opposition. Such paradoxes are difficult to maintain and tend to end with the individual reverting to their earlier life.
c) I'm not saying it will happen, but there's a chance the blogger and her current beau might split up. Without that influence in her life, I wouldn't be surprised if she didn't revert back to her prior mode of thought.

Finally--and I hate to resort back to this sort of reasoning--"I've seen this before." I've heard these stories where people "find the way," and then in a few years they've "lost their way." I draw on the parable of the Sower and Seed.

Honestly, great for her if she's truly found the light. And she's going to need prayerful support.

I guess lastly, I'm just very skeptical of such public converts. Like I said, I won't be surprised if she's renounced her faith in a few years, but, hey, if I'm wrong, then I'm wrong, which would be good for her.

Hope that helps! smile

--Bill

07/08/2012 new
(Quote) Charles-512043 said: I can't say that I've ever heard of this person, but atheist blogger Leah Libresco is now converting ...
(Quote) Charles-512043 said:

religion.blogs.cnn.com

www.theblaze.com

--hide--

AMEN, COMPLETELY AGREE, AND PRAISE GOD FOR HER DISCOVERY OF CHRIST!
07/08/2012 new

(Quote) Matt-61677 said: Hey Charles, No I had not heard of her either prior to her conversion. If you like geeky...
(Quote) Matt-61677 said:

Hey Charles,

No I had not heard of her either prior to her conversion. If you like geeky stuff (as I do) you'll love her blog. I've been reading Leah's pre-conversion blogs and you can see what an intelligent and nice person she is and her growth to Catholicism. I think she's going to be fine with all the Church's teaching, but we should definitely keep her our prayers.

--hide--

I'll have to check it out. Is this on here patheos.com blog?

Posts 1 - 10 of 14