Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion of sports, non-video games & hobbies! Football, baseball, basketball, hockey, or your own personal favorite. Brag about your team and explain why the refs blew the big game! Discuss your passion for Corn Hole, Horseshoes,Texas Hold'em or other games.

Saint Christopher is the patron saint of the playing field.
Learn More:Saint Christopher

SCUBA came up in another thread, so thought I would start this one. What was your best dive, or favorite place to dive? Your scariest or most dangerous dive? What is your fantasy dive? Or your most disappointing one?
07/05/2012 new

(Quote) Edward-512961 said: SCUBA came up in another thread, so thought I would start this one. What was your best dive, or favorit...
(Quote) Edward-512961 said: SCUBA came up in another thread, so thought I would start this one. What was your best dive, or favorite place to dive? Your scariest or most dangerous dive? What is your fantasy dive? Or your most disappointing one?
--hide--

My best dive was traversing a spring system one half mile in and then back out. That was in Leon County, Florida.

My scariest dive wasn't so much the dive as after, as I get DCS. I was diving at Ginnie Springs, 4 tanks, nitrox and O2 for decompression. It was the second 2 hour dive of the day. I came up with what felt like a slight reverse block in my right ear. Since it was the last dive, I packed up all my gear and was headed to the showers. I got in the shower, and as soon as the water hit me, I got dizzy, and then got vertigo. I could not walk straight. I will leave out some of the other details. It wasn't pretty. I thought I was dying. Fortunately my dive buddy was still with me and he drove me to Lake City to Shands Hospital. After sitting for several hours in a crowded waiting room with the world spinning, I got in to see a doctor, had a CAT scan, and they said I had a bubble in my head. But they were not going to put me in their chamber there. They wanted me to go to Capital Regional Medical Center in Tallahassee, a 3 hour ride by ambulance. So at 3 am, they loaded me in the ambulance and at 6 am I arrived at the hospital in Tallahassee. At 8am, they started doing every kind of test known to man on me, and at 8:30am, I was in the chamber... for 6 hours... just me and the doc. I was miserable. Three days and three more chamber rides later, I faked my way out of the hospital. I was not 100%. I could really not walk a straight line. Imagine the worst drunk you have ever been. That was me. That was 2 years ago, and I am completely recovered now. I got the bends because I allowed myself to get dehydrated. It is very important to drink lots of water when you are breathing compressed gas. It dries you out. My hemoglobin was 18 when I arrived at the hospital, and 15 when I left. I am very lucky it was not worse.

Fantasy dive? Hmmm... I dove with no lights on a night dive in Caymans once. We dove by the light of the moon. The things we saw on the bottom were amazing because it was all natural light.

I just got over having cancer surgery, so I am building my strength and health back up to start diving again. Hopefully by August, I will be in good enough shape to start diving again.

07/08/2012 new

(Quote) Edward-512961 said: SCUBA came up in another thread, so thought I would start this one. What was your best dive, or favorit...
(Quote) Edward-512961 said: SCUBA came up in another thread, so thought I would start this one. What was your best dive, or favorite place to dive? Your scariest or most dangerous dive? What is your fantasy dive? Or your most disappointing one?
--hide--

My best dive was over on the east coast of Grand Cayman Island (BWI) .... very close to the continental shelf!

The worst dive was in Missouri at Bonne Terre in an old, abandoned, flooded lead mine .... 55 degree water, obviously needed a wet suit which was not fitted properly so was letting in lots of cold water; and although there were no currents to deal with, it was just not a very good experience overall.

Would love to see the Great Barrier Reef in Australia some day .... ah, dreaming! smile :fish:

07/08/2012 new

(Quote) MaryAlice-97161 said: My best dive was over on the east coast of Grand Cayman Island (BWI) .... very close t...
(Quote) MaryAlice-97161 said:

My best dive was over on the east coast of Grand Cayman Island (BWI) .... very close to the continental shelf!

The worst dive was in Missouri at Bonne Terre in an old, abandoned, flooded lead mine .... 55 degree water, obviously needed a wet suit which was not fitted properly so was letting in lots of cold water; and although there were no currents to deal with, it was just not a very good experience overall.

Would love to see the Great Barrier Reef in Australia some day .... ah, dreaming!

--hide--

I have managed to stay out of the quarries since I am fortunate to live 3 hours from Florida. Cayman is beautiful. Maybe one day I will have enough money to be able to afford to retire there. I like Sunset House. I took a couple of underwater photography classes with Cathy Church there a number of years ago.

07/11/2012 new
I'd be happy if I had a quarry near the house. There's a lake an hour and a half to the west that isn't always clear. Then there is a quarry two hours east of me that is set up for divers. Very clear water, sunken plane, boat, vegetation, very nice fish. A bit chilly, but staying shallow takes care of that.
07/11/2012 new
I love scuba diving--I haven't been on my best dive yet. There are so many places I want to see! The Great Barrier Reef would be number one.
07/12/2012 new

Since I am recovering from cancer surgery, I started about a month ago swimming laps at a fitness center I joned for this purpose. When I started, I could not swim 3 laps, and I had to quit. Today I did 16 laps in under 15 minutes. Now I am increasing one lap per day, and it is time to start weight training.

I am trying to get myself back into shape so I can go cave diving again. My goal is to be able to go back into a cave sometime in August in Florida. I love the springs there. The water is always around 68 degrees, but we know how to dress for it. I picked up all 8 of my tanks from Marianna, FL in June where they were all recertified for another year of service. I am looking forward to it. :-)

07/12/2012 new
First, having goals gives us the impetus to get through anything, does it not? Second, aren't there alligators in FL? Cave diving is something I haven't done. It scares me a little even though I am a fish in the water.
07/12/2012 new

(Quote) Linda-756196 said: First, having goals gives us the impetus to get through anything, does it not? Second, aren't there ...
(Quote) Linda-756196 said: First, having goals gives us the impetus to get through anything, does it not? Second, aren't there alligators in FL? Cave diving is something I haven't done. It scares me a little even though I am a fish in the water.
--hide--

Well I didn't start out cave diving. I started out in open water like everyone else. Cave diving is specialized technical diving, and it isn't for everyone. I go through some very small passages, sometimes having to remove tanks to fit through. It is exploration as much as it is adventure. There is a certain risk to it, and that adds to the excitement. Fortunately, I have sufficient training to complete the dives safely, and I always dive within the limits of my training.

Regarding the alligators, some of the more remote cave systems have gators running around the surface. We also have snakes to deal with. Most of them are more afraid of us than we are of them, and it has never been a problem. biggrin

07/12/2012 new

I learned to dive in Honduras on the Island of Utila but I have done a lot of snorkeling and I think depending on the location you can see just as much. My very favorite is the great barrier in Australia. I love the (either black tip or white tip) sharks. I forget which one...and the giant clams....my other favorite was a night snorkel on the on the island of Roatan. All the octopus come out at night!

Posts 1 - 10 of 35