Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

Devoted to discussion pertaining to those issues which are specifically relevant to people 45+. Topics must have a specific perspective of people in this age group for it to be on topic.

The story of Abraham and Sarah is told in chapters 11-25 of the book of Genesis.
Learn More:Abraham & Sarah

When we were young, we all had visions of meeting our mate and growing old together. Some of us even met someone (or two or three), thinking we found “the one.” But surprise, surprise, here we all are.

When we were in our 20’s, 30’s and even 40‘s, our bodies had not changed much and we had youth and hormones to help us attract a mate. But a funny thing happened sometime in 50’s – it’s a little harder to keep the extra pounds off, things that never used to hurt, start to ache a little, our becomes a little grayer (or a little bit goner) and it is not quite as easy to attract a mate. Of course, I’M not getting older, but all of YOU are! laughing laughing laughing At least that is how all of us like to see things, even though we know it is not true. (Of course, I’m still a sucker for a great smile – some things never change.) We and the kids in the singles room all imagined growing old together with that young, attractive, person that exists in their 30’s or 40’s. But that's not how it works and they many not even end up look as look as good as we do in their 50’s and 60’s

What do you all think? Can you look past the years, into the heart of that person you are about to meet for the first time and see the young kid who is still in there? Even though it is 30 or 40 years later, can you imagine growing old together - starting now?

07/19/2012 new

Of course that sentence should have been "But that's not how it works and they may not even end up looking as look as good as we do in their 50’s and 60’s."

07/19/2012 new

(Quote) John-666618 said: When we were young, we all had visions of meeting our mate and growing old together. Some of us ev...
(Quote) John-666618 said:

When we were young, we all had visions of meeting our mate and growing old together. Some of us even met someone (or two or three), thinking we found “the one.” But surprise, surprise, here we all are.

When we were in our 20’s, 30’s and even 40‘s, our bodies had not changed much and we had youth and hormones to help us attract a mate. But a funny thing happened sometime in 50’s – it’s a little harder to keep the extra pounds off, things that never used to hurt, start to ache a little, our becomes a little grayer (or a little bit goner) and it is not quite as easy to attract a mate. Of course, I’M not getting older, but all of YOU are! At least that is how all of us like to see things, even though we know it is not true. (Of course, I’m still a sucker for a great smile – some things never change.) We and the kids in the singles room all imagined growing old together with that young, attractive, person that exists in their 30’s or 40’s. But that's not how it works and they many not even end up look as look as good as we do in their 50’s and 60’s

What do you all think? Can you look past the years, into the heart of that person you are about to meet for the first time and see the young kid who is still in there? Even though it is 30 or 40 years later, can you imagine growing old together - starting now?

--hide--

I came into this not to find someone I could grow old with, but rather to find someone to help keep me young.

07/19/2012 new
Being older helps us weed out those who aren't the one. There are so few of us (as opposed to our youth) who are available and seriously seeking Sacramental Marriage. I guess the real question is, will we find him or her? Who knows, but just look at all the wonderful folks we've met along the way!
07/19/2012 new

"My always and forever is getting shorter and shorter"

~ Jane Fonda

07/19/2012 new

This is a question for the serious seeker! Yes, I am looking for someone - flaws and all. In fact, I remember when wrinkles were called smile markers and ...well, I admit to coloring my grey! We weren't perfect at 23, and I'm certainly not perfect now, but I am hoping someone will see my flaws as signs that I've had a rich and interesting life so far.
I want someone to love me as I grow old, and I want to be able to also do the same. violin

07/20/2012 new

Often when I am out and I see an old couple, maybe not so attractive now, I try to imagine what would have attracted them to each other when they were young. I think that what I find attractive now is different than what I did when I was 20.. laughing

07/20/2012 new

(Quote) Donna-83441 said: Often when I am out and I see an old couple, maybe not so attractive now, I try to imagine what wo...
(Quote) Donna-83441 said:

Often when I am out and I see an old couple, maybe not so attractive now, I try to imagine what would have attracted them to each other when they were young. I think that what I find attractive now is different than what I did when I was 20..

--hide--

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! This sentiment is so falling on deaf ears to the younger people still seeking outer perfection. I KNOW I don't look like I did in my 20s or even in my 30s (I will get back to that one - at least the wardrobe for my health). If I want confirmation, all I have to do is look at my daughter. Proof, I touched base with a woman on Facebook I hadn't seen in a bunch of years. She thought maybe I looked familiar, but wasn't sure. When she looked at my profile and the pic of my daughter, she knew who I was. Sad, so sad, but very true story. Point is, first, I never dated the gym rat (no offense to anyone), Joe perfect, whatever.

They were pretty to look at, but I really liked the quirky guy, usually in the back of the room making very astute comments about the happenings of the room. That trait remains and the attraction expands now to include important characteristics: Godly, faithful, compassionate...no where does the color of eyes, hair, body type come into play.

Intelligence is huge now. I married a man who was functionally illiterate. I understand, without question, the value of someone who can, and will, discuss books with me. I want to be the sweet couple, who married after being widow/ed for roughly 25-30 years each. They met on a catholic dating site (not sure which one, but I'm going to ask!!), dated and were engaged six months later. They go to church every day together. They hold hands in church every day. There is another couple, my age or slightly younger, with a grade school age son. They are in church every week, again, holding hands while they worship together.

Do I want someone that I can grow old together like these couples?? You betcha!!!! Do I think it's possible? I really don't know if God will call me to that. All I can do is prepare myself to be open to where ever He leads me and pray that I understand the call when it comes, because it will.

07/20/2012 new

(Quote) Donna-83441 said: Often when I am out and I see an old couple, maybe not so attractive now, I try to imagine what wo...
(Quote) Donna-83441 said:

Often when I am out and I see an old couple, maybe not so attractive now, I try to imagine what would have attracted them to each other when they were young. I think that what I find attractive now is different than what I did when I was 20..

--hide--

Donna, that's sort of what got me thinking about this. I ran into some people I knew 50 years ago when they were young and very good looking. I would not consider them attractive now. The bodies and faces they married 60+ years ago are long gone, but they are still the same great people I remembe from when I was young. If they met each other today, would they look past the wrinkles and all the other stuff, and still be attracted to the people inside that they fell in love with.

07/20/2012 new

(Quote) John-666618 said: Donna, that's sort of what got me thinking about this. I ran into some people I knew 5...
(Quote) John-666618 said:

Donna, that's sort of what got me thinking about this. I ran into some people I knew 50 years ago when they were young and very good looking. I would not consider them attractive now. The bodies and faces they married 60+ years ago are long gone, but they are still the same great people I remembe from when I was young. If they met each other today, would they look past the wrinkles and all the other stuff, and still be attracted to the people inside that they fell in love with.

--hide--

Short answer - yes. My previous neighbors just moved to a smaller house in concession to their age and ability to care for a large house and yard. They are 'newlyweds' or you'd think so if you saw them together. They have been married eight years. He is 77 and she is 83. They were introduced by mutual friends as they went to different churches. Again, she had lost her husband almost 40 years prior, and his wife had passed away at least 20 years before he started dating Miss Kathy. How beautiful is that!???

Posts 1 - 10 of 57