Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for those who have lost a spouse and need support or who can provide support to those who have.

Saint Paula is the patron saint of widows and Saint Stephen is the patron saint of deacons
Learn More: Saint Stephen and Saint Paula

What have you done?

07/19/2012 new

What have you done single that you would never have tried when you were married? (Joining CM doesn't count.) ;)

I'll start by saying I changed the light fixture over my kitchen table. It was so ugly. I would have never attempted it with a man in the house, cuz I would have just asked him to do it. The best part was...it worked and the house hasn't burned down!

Being single demands us to reach out of our comfort zone, so please share your triumph...big or small!

07/19/2012 new

I climbed the 8 foot ladder to shoot Raid Wasp Killer at dusk---to reach HUGE nests under each eave of our 27' roof section---and JUMPED off the ladder very rapidly.... each time -8 times! to avoid the ensuing onslaught of wasps, nest falls, and dripping Raid each time.... ewww---Never in my comfort zone!! but it got done...and no broken bones wave Thank you,God!

07/19/2012 new

(Quote) Barbara-863769 said: I climbed the 8 foot ladder to shoot Raid Wasp Killer at dusk---to reach HUGE nests under each ...
(Quote) Barbara-863769 said:

I climbed the 8 foot ladder to shoot Raid Wasp Killer at dusk---to reach HUGE nests under each eave of our 27' roof section---and JUMPED off the ladder very rapidly.... each time -8 times! to avoid the ensuing onslaught of wasps, nest falls, and dripping Raid each time.... ewww---Never in my comfort zone!! but it got done...and no broken bones Thank you,God!

--hide--

Good job! I wasn't smart enough to jump out of the way from the Raid drip...got a mouthful. Sort of reminds me when all the neighborhood men walked to the end of their driveway to watch my attempt at hanging Christmas lights. My kids said it made them nervous so they went in the house. My fear won and I ended up stringing them just over the top of the garage door instead. Not quite the dramatic look I was going for, but at least the neighbors didn't have to call 911 AND I was able to tell which house was mine in the dark!
Thanks for sharing, Barbara.

07/20/2012 new
I moved to Germany and I drive in Germany. I planned vacations and went to Venice for three weeks alone. Let's see, I wrote a book and I never would have done that. I have spoken to large audiences and on nation TV. And, yes, I joined CM. For a shy girl, that was huge!
07/20/2012 new

I've been under the house to fix a leaking pipe...fixed one under the sink...traveled out-of-state and out of the country by myself. Stayed at work late at night and didn't call the local police to watch me go to my car (my husband always insisted that I have the police "watch" me to my car). Driven home from dinner with a friend after midnight. bought a house all by myself.

Wow. I'm impressed with myself. Wouldn't have thought I could do it. Great question!

07/20/2012 new

Neat question. It is amazing what we can do.

I went to grad school and raised two children.

I put a ladder on a picnic table that was on top of our deck so I could get on the roof to clean out the gutters. (God watches over the stupid things we do. Thank God and my guardian angel for that one!)

The worst I ever did was get two rats out of my basement. I get cold chills thinking about it but I did it.

07/21/2012 new

(Quote) Linda-756196 said: I moved to Germany and I drive in Germany. I planned vacations and went to Venice for three weeks alone....
(Quote) Linda-756196 said: I moved to Germany and I drive in Germany. I planned vacations and went to Venice for three weeks alone. Let's see, I wrote a book and I never would have done that. I have spoken to large audiences and on nation TV. And, yes, I joined CM. For a shy girl, that was huge!
--hide--

Linda, you have defied the comfort zone brilliantly through your journey! Isn't it incredible how tragedy transforms us? You are such an inspiration!

07/21/2012 new

(Quote) Elizabeth-462557 said: I've been under the house to fix a leaking pipe...fixed one under the sink...traveled out...
(Quote) Elizabeth-462557 said:

I've been under the house to fix a leaking pipe...fixed one under the sink...traveled out-of-state and out of the country by myself. Stayed at work late at night and didn't call the local police to watch me go to my car (my husband always insisted that I have the police "watch" me to my car). Driven home from dinner with a friend after midnight. bought a house all by myself.

Wow. I'm impressed with myself. Wouldn't have thought I could do it. Great question!

--hide--

Elizabeth, you get the medal of honor for being resourceful and fearless. We are all impressed as well. And you discovered the meaning of the question...going from day to day, we don't see the triumph in what we've done. After all, we are survivors and we do what we have to do. But each new thing learned or fear conquered is important. I found a quote by Henry David Thoreau that said, "What we gain by reaching or goals is not as important as who we become by reaching our goals." I've talked to other widows who don't know the names for all the tools in their husbands' tool boxes, but they know what they are used for. How cool is that! Look at you...I spent a whole day once waiting for the plumber to show up and all he did was tighten a nut!

07/21/2012 new

(Quote) Bernadette-792394 said: Neat question. It is amazing what we can do. I went to grad school and raised two chi...
(Quote) Bernadette-792394 said:

Neat question. It is amazing what we can do.

I went to grad school and raised two children.

I put a ladder on a picnic table that was on top of our deck so I could get on the roof to clean out the gutters. (God watches over the stupid things we do. Thank God and my guardian angel for that one!)

The worst I ever did was get two rats out of my basement. I get cold chills thinking about it but I did it.

--hide--

Gosh, Bernadette, we are glad for guardian angels! I had to catch a bat that was loose in the house once and if it happens again, I'm moving out. It will be easier that way and far less dramatic. How did you catch those rats?

07/21/2012 new

Thank you Kathy. I really hadn't thought about this until I read the question. it was more "necessity is the mother of invention." And a bit nerve racking. I've toughened up but sometimes I really would rather not have to be so tough. Somewhere deep inside a little girl still lives there, I hope. She just hasn't had much of a chance to surface in the past few years. Thank you for the encouragement. I really appreciate the community these forums offer us.

Posts 1 - 10 of 31