Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

Singles discussion related to wedding planning, engagement, and married life should be posted in this room.

Saint Valentine is patron saint of love, young people, and happy marriages.
Learn More: Saint Valentine

07/22/2012 new

The unity candle. The meaning of the unity candle is not even appropriate to a catholic wedding. It's probably the ONLY wedding tradition that I actually disapprove of using. In the Catholic church usually the candle represents the light of Christ, or more liberally...."truth". It really would be confusing if the church switched it to also include couples? I think it would. Also, we don't extinguish Christ's light in ourselves....like they extinguish the original candles....in Catholic belief the other person actually makes your light shine brighter. One thing I like about our church is we don't just adopt rituals that we think or "pretty" or "touching"....we think out the ritual and say...."Does this really show what we believe?" I love that about Catholics.......symbols and rituals are empty if they do not reveal Christ in our lives.....our marriages are empty if they do not reflect Christ in our lives. I had a friend get married that was athiest.....she used something called a sand ceremoney....I thought....."oh how sad.....how silly....that sand is simply sand....without God....there would be no marriage......no one can make that sand really mean anything.....no matter how much we want it to"....

Some non-religious services can get pretty weird and wild in their ideas.....and it made me realize that in order for ANYTHING in our lives to matter.....it MUST reflect God.....or it's just silly.

Who wishes there were a magazine for Catholic brides? Something that showed our options and all the Catholic traditions from different countries? If anyone out there is a publisher, I feel this is needed. I woud love to see articles about how brides were showing their faith in their ceremony

By the by...my grandmother wore light blue......in honour of Mary.

07/22/2012 new
Very true, but first I need a husband, lol. But seriously as soon as I get engaged whenever that maybe I will seek out styles online so I have an idea what I want.
07/22/2012 new
Marissa I wish there was a magazine like that because we often have no idea what is acceptable or not. I don't know if this is a Catholic tradition too but when my brother and sister in law married they went up to each mother and presented her with a flower. I thought that was touching.
07/22/2012 new

I know that presenting flowers to mothers is totally acceptable, however, it's probably a much more wide tradition than specifically Catholic. Yes, it is hard to find what is allowed vs. what is disallowed and then there are even things that are "encouraged"...and things that are "discouraged". Obviously sleeveless dresses are discouraged....but not disallowed(except in some diocese).

But there are creative things Catholics can do that reflect their personal faith. I liked that my grandmother wore blue because she had a close relationship to Mary. I have seen quotes by saints in the program .

This particular one

"Spread love everywhere you go: first of all in your own house. Give love to
your children, to your wife or husband, to a next door neighbor... Let no one
ever come to you without leaving better and happier. Be the living expression of
God's kindness; kindness in your face, kindness in your eyes, kindness in your
smile, kindness in your warm greeting."

~Blessed Mother Teresa of
Calcutta

It was at the very end of the program....How clever to encourage people to leave your wedding and go out and spread love.

I will probably qoute St. Therese the little flower in mine because I am devoted to her.

07/22/2012 new

(Quote) AnneMarie-641597 said: Wow...digging up bones. My wedding was 21 years ago. I want to say we chose betw...
(Quote) AnneMarie-641597 said:

Wow...digging up bones. My wedding was 21 years ago. I want to say we chose between a few sets of vows; I know for fact we chose our readings. And, no clue about what they said, that part was a blur! My only break with 'tradition' was not wearing white. Two reason, one, my daughter (4) was my flower girl, and two - white is simply not my color. I wore offwhite. Regardless of how accepted it may be for a first time bride to wear white, it speaks of hypocracy to me. Just my own thoughts and how it sat in my heart.

--hide--

People get this wrong all the time..It's not the color of the dress that symbolizes purity.. It is the WEARING OF THE VEIL that symbolizes purity..

07/22/2012 new

(Quote) Donna-83441 said: People get this wrong all the time..It's not the color of the dr...
(Quote) Donna-83441 said:

People get this wrong all the time..It's not the color of the dress that symbolizes purity.. It is the WEARING OF THE VEIL that symbolizes purity..

--hide--

Thanks Donna. I probably wouldn't have worn white in any case, but I wasn't aware of that. Or if I was, it was so long ago that I've forgotten. How very old I feel sometimes!

07/22/2012 new

I also want to put it out there.....that if you did not cheat on your husband....you are still pure. And if any indescretions were committed but repented of they are as if they never existed except in memory. Now I normally don't say that because for some reason non-catholics get the impression we can simply "go to confession" and do the thing over again and "go to confession" again and again. But here, we all know that is not true. However, for the purpose of a wedding. Unless you fall into the categorie of an unconfessed indescretion. You are definitely pure.

07/22/2012 new

(Quote) Marissa-529206 said: I also want to put it out there.....that if you did not cheat on your husband....you are still ...
(Quote) Marissa-529206 said:

I also want to put it out there.....that if you did not cheat on your husband....you are still pure. And if any indescretions were committed but repented of they are as if they never existed except in memory. Now I normally don't say that because for some reason non-catholics get the impression we can simply "go to confession" and do the thing over again and "go to confession" again and again. But here, we all know that is not true. However, for the purpose of a wedding. Unless you fall into the categorie of an unconfessed indescretion. You are definitely pure.

--hide--

Excellent point, and to go a little further, this is for all sin. The hard part is not going to confession; it is not even refraining from the sin again, but it is often in forgiving ourselves.

Thank you for this lovely reminder though!!

07/22/2012 new

(Quote) Dawn-758914 said: Ok I just went to a wedding last week and another the week before and saw a few things. Things I never th...
(Quote) Dawn-758914 said: Ok I just went to a wedding last week and another the week before and saw a few things. Things I never thought about before but now am wondering.

1. The bride walked herself down the aisle and didn't wear a veil. Granted she was married before (widowed) but if it's a first time bride does she have to wear a veil? does she have to wear a veil covering her face called a blusher? Does she have to have someone walking her down the aisle? As I understand it the bride walking with her dad started as a Protestant thing. Also, as an aside I think it is wonderful the ceremony doesn't include obey, though many churches are getting rid of it(as they should).

2. Another bride (first marriage)and her groom put flowers on the Virgin Mary. I understand this is common? My mom said she did it.

3. The second bride did the garter toss at the wedding. I never gave this much though but isn't it kind of sinful because it sort of implies certain things?

There's other things I was curious about but these are the ones upfront.
--hide--

Hmm.... I haven't seen a bride without a veil, but many have the tiara thing. I don't remember ever seeing a bride do the "lift the veil" thing. I remember a priest saying it was very difficult to persuade brides to do that.

Many weddings I've been do have put the red roses by Virgin Mary while the cantor sings Ave Maria.

I'm not for the garter toss at all. But I guess the bride thinks, "Well, I want to toss my bouquet" so I want my husband to have something. What disturbs me more is the trend of the bride sitting on the best man's lap while the groom takes her garter off. I'm not sure who started this trend, but I've seen TONS of these pics. Honestly, I usually leave a wedding reception before the garter thing is even done. I'm not big on those traditional things, and since they're at the end of the reception, then I usually am gone by then.

07/22/2012 new

I don't normally care for the garter thing because alot of the time they make it extremely sexual. Of course I don't like that. However, my sister and brother and law did it very respectfully. Although he pulled out first....car keys, a cellphone, and a credit card......it was pretty funny.

Posts 21 - 30 of 76