Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion on entertainment, movies, television, jokes or light-hearted topics. Please keep discussion clean and appropriate for a Catholic site.

Saint Vitus is the patron saint of actors, comedians, dancers, and of entertainers in general.
Learn More:Saint Vitus

First of all I wanted to ask you Cmer's, which of you likes Science Fiction, Fantasy or related literature?

The other questions, that I would like to try answer with you are the following:

1-Do you think these stories can be enjoyed both by children as well as by adults?

2-Why is there a social stigma regarding people who watch, read and/or write this particular genre?

3-Using contemporary examples such as Lewis and Tolkien(in the case of fantasy), do you think these stories can be helpful in exploring ideas related to society, culture, technology and even faith?

I would be glad to discuss these with you.

Carlos

Aug 1st 2012 new
I generally don't like science fiction (though I did like the 3 original Star Wars movies)but I like men into this. The main reason is they tend to be nerdy and I prefer nerdy men.
Aug 1st 2012 new

(Quote) Dawn-758914 said: I generally don't like science fiction (though I did like the 3 original Star Wars movies)but I like ...
(Quote) Dawn-758914 said: I generally don't like science fiction (though I did like the 3 original Star Wars movies)but I like men into this. The main reason is they tend to be nerdy and I prefer nerdy men.
--hide--

Do you think they bring something positive? Like Lord of the Rings and Narnia to society?

Aug 1st 2012 new
I think the guy into this bring a lot of positive into a relationship. They probably aren't sleeping around and could very well be shy.
Aug 1st 2012 new

(Quote) Dawn-758914 said: I think the guy into this bring a lot of positive into a relationship. They probably aren't sleeping ...
(Quote) Dawn-758914 said: I think the guy into this bring a lot of positive into a relationship. They probably aren't sleeping around and could very well be shy.
--hide--

What do you mean by "sleeping around" ?

Aug 1st 2012 new
Having casual sex with many women. I avoid those men as we aren't a match.
Aug 1st 2012 new

(Quote) Dawn-758914 said: Having casual sex with many women. I avoid those men as we aren't a match.
(Quote) Dawn-758914 said: Having casual sex with many women. I avoid those men as we aren't a match.
--hide--

Have you read some scifi/fantasy Dawn?

Aug 1st 2012 new
I've read a few but not much into it.
Aug 1st 2012 new
Ok, I'll answer. I like fantasy/sci-fi though I tend to be more fantasy then sci-fi. These stories are fundemental in our nature an act very much like the ancient myths did. They offer us insight and a framework from which we can examine ourselves and society from a different viewpoint. But, most importantly they are fun. Imaginging the flight of Icarus or fighting Medusa or riding a unicorn or flying a spaceship is just all good fun.

So

1-of course I do, unless someone wants to catagorize me and a million other adults who enjoy them as children

2-I think there is stigma attached almost anytime people think others are "too passionate" about anything. Plus reading is not super popular and people who tend to read these genres are super readers, so out of step with the rest of the world

3-yes

Anyways my two cents so you wouldn't feel alone loving these fun genres. There are many others. wave
Aug 1st 2012 new
(Quote) Carlos-876737 said: First of all I wanted to ask you Cmer's, which of you likes Science Fiction, Fantasy or related literature...
(Quote) Carlos-876737 said:

First of all I wanted to ask you Cmer's, which of you likes Science Fiction, Fantasy or related literature?

The other questions, that I would like to try answer with you are the following:

1-Do you think these stories can be enjoyed both by children as well as by adults?

2-Why is there a social stigma regarding people who watch, read and/or write this particular genre?

3-Using contemporary examples such as Lewis and Tolkien(in the case of fantasy), do you think these stories can be helpful in exploring ideas related to society, culture, technology and even faith?

I would be glad to discuss these with you.

Carlos

--hide--

Hi Carlos.

I have an English Literature degree, so my reading habits cover a vast array of the Dewey Decimal System. laughing

I do like Sci-fi, though I go through phases. Orson Scott Card is one of my favorite authors. I love the Enders series. I do think his books are helpful. They raise pertanent moral questions. I recommended them to my teenage students.

I also like Asimov, Vonnegut, Douglas Adams, Robert Jordan, Rod Sterling, Madeleine L'Engle, Ursula LeGuin, and several others. I think Suzanne Collins' Hunger Games series raises some very timely questions for us to ponder.

I could go on. And then there is the field of sci-fi television and movies. George Lucas and Gene Roddenberry have made a huge impact on our culture. They were visionaries with their Star Wars and Star Trek series. Stargate and Babylon5 have touched on much of their work. Lucas' stories are very archetypal, which means they contain profound truths.

Ultimately any good story is really an imitation of the Greatest Story Ever Told. I believe there is a lot of our faith covered in really good sci-fi. Sci-fi tends to be visionary-- it explores where we could be going as a society. The world building that writers do in sci-fi is for the purpose of taking the societal issues of our day out of the context of our culture and placing them in foreign worlds so that we can see things better. The writers I mentioned have done that, which is why I enjoy their work.

As for a social stigma... There is one??? I guess I have so many friends, writers and readers, who are avid readers of sci-fi-- far more than I am-- that I just see it as equal billing as mystery, adventure, horror, and romance. It's all fiction-- some of it good and some bad.
Posts 1 - 10 of 33