Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share
For discussion that revolves around a place, state, or country.

Hi there,

I'm thinking about going out of state for nursing school in the near future and am wondering what cities people would suggest checking out in the South and mid-Atlantic regions of the U.S. I've done some research into nursing programs aleady, but I'm curious about what cities people love and why. Having grown up in western Washington and lived in Seattle proper for the past ten years, I'm ready for a new adventure!

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Thanks!

08/01/2012 new

(Quote) Teresa-870457 said: Hi there, I'm thinking about going out of state for nursing school in the near future...
(Quote) Teresa-870457 said:

Hi there,

I'm thinking about going out of state for nursing school in the near future and am wondering what cities people would suggest checking out in the South and mid-Atlantic regions of the U.S. I've done some research into nursing programs aleady, but I'm curious about what cities people love and why. Having grown up in western Washington and lived in Seattle proper for the past ten years, I'm ready for a new adventure!

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Thanks!

--hide--

My vote is for Charleston. The lowcountry is awesome. You're used to plenty of rain. If you can handle the heat, you'd be fine. The nursing programs here are stellar, and MUSC is here as well for specialties and/or advance nursing programs. There aren't too many downsides and I've been here almost eight years!

08/01/2012 new

(Quote) Teresa-870457 said: Hi there, I'm thinking about going out of state for nursing school in the near future...

Hi there,

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Thanks!

--hide--

If you're looking at Johns Hopkins, Baltimore is trying to reinvent itself, and doing a fairly good job, from what I understand.
George Washington is in DC, and there is a large and vibrant Catholic population there.
Charlottesville, VA (home of UVa) is a curious place. By the university, it has a "college town" feel. It's a bit expensive to live
there, from what I hear.
Richmond (home of the Medical College of Virginia) has a taste for pretty much anybody.
Durham (home of Duke) is just gritty. Period. Gritty. There are some good parts, but overall....
Chapel Hill (home of UNC) is your typical college town, but a little more sophisticated.

If you would like me to expound, let me know.

08/02/2012 new

(Quote) Charles-211696 said: If you're looking at Johns Hopkins, Baltimore is trying to reinvent itself, and doi...
(Quote) Charles-211696 said:

If you're looking at Johns Hopkins, Baltimore is trying to reinvent itself, and doing a fairly good job, from what I understand.
George Washington is in DC, and there is a large and vibrant Catholic population there.
Charlottesville, VA (home of UVa) is a curious place. By the university, it has a "college town" feel. It's a bit expensive to live
there, from what I hear.
Richmond (home of the Medical College of Virginia) has a taste for pretty much anybody.
Durham (home of Duke) is just gritty. Period. Gritty. There are some good parts, but overall....
Chapel Hill (home of UNC) is your typical college town, but a little more sophisticated.

If you would like me to expound, let me know.

--hide--

Teresa,

Charles is better than me. I stuck to home. Those are all good, too. I guess it really depends on what type of city/town you are looking for. Charleston has city amenities with a small town feel. I love everything about Richmond! Not familiar with Charlottesville, but I'd have to pass on the DC, Durham and Chapel Hill; DC is too much city for me. As for the Raleigh-Durham area, sorry Charles, not my cup of tea. I lived in NC for a few years, but just never did get jazzed about Raleigh. Charlotte is nice, but expensive. Winston-Salem is just all that again!

08/03/2012 new

Thanks, I had looked at the MUSC programs and Charleston looks lovely! It's good to hear that you like the area.

08/04/2012 new

Thanks for your thoughts on all this. I don't know that I'll be applying to John Hopkins, but I have been checking out various schools around D.C. and Baltimore as possibilities. I've known a number of people who've gone to D.C. and also say that there is a strong Catholic presence, which is a definite plus.

Originally, I had looked at the programs at Duke, UNC, and Charlottesville, but I'm sort of steering away from those ideas. I don't know if I want to end up in a college town--maybe if I was still 18 the idea would appeal to me more. It doesn't sound like Durham has much appeal for you--I have a friend that went to Duke, so I guess I can get more details from her. I've also seen that VCU has a program in Richmond, but I didn't know anything about the town. A couple people have confirmed that it's a nice place, so maybe I'll think more about that as a potential place to apply.

08/04/2012 new

(Quote) Teresa-870457 said: Thanks, I had looked at the MUSC programs and Charleston looks lovely! It's good to hear tha...

Thanks, I had looked at the MUSC programs and Charleston looks lovely! It's good to hear that you like the area.

--hide--

If you do decide on MUSC, let me know. There are much cheaper places to live than downtown, and I know a very active young adults ministry with some nice people your age. My daughter goes swing dancing with them on Friday nights. She's finishing up her RN, and is looking at programs for her BSN. There are a couple of BSN programs in the area. heart

Posts 1 - 7 of 7