Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

Singles discussion related to wedding planning, engagement, and married life should be posted in this room.

Saint Valentine is patron saint of love, young people, and happy marriages.
Learn More: Saint Valentine

08/10/2012 new
(Quote) Jacqueline-556574 said: Never been married before, but was in many weddings. Thanks for mentioning about the ...
(Quote) Jacqueline-556574 said:

Never been married before, but was in many weddings.

Thanks for mentioning about the couple walking together behind the priest. At this point I'm thinking I will never be a bride, but if by a miracle it does happen that I would meet someone again that I want to marry, and vice-versa, would want to walk behind the priest to the altar. I do like some symbolism in weddings, but not necessarily the ones that are overdone. Have never seen that done at a wedding... the couple walking down the isle behind the priest. If I had of, I would have remembered it.
--hide--

I don't know if it's old fashioned or not but I really want my dad to walk me down the aisle. I'm not even traditional at all but I know this is the one thing I couldn't take away from him because he has even told me he wants me to marry so he can walk me down the aisle.
08/12/2012 new

I'm glad some "traditions" have fallen by the wayside. The last two weddings I attended, they didn't do the garter or bouquet toss. My sister made a nice speech and presented her bouquet to a good friend of hers who helped her a lot with her wedding dress.

Talk about tacky - in the early 90s, they used to play that Billy Idol "Mony Mony" song at receptions. People would do a vulgar chant where they'd curse. Gross. crazy

Going into debt over overblown receptions with hundreds of guests that the couple have never even met seems ridiculous to me. A smaller reception with your family and favorite people sounds fine to me.

08/12/2012 new
(Quote) Julie-42315 said: I'm glad some "traditions" have fallen by the wayside. The last two weddings I attended, they did...
(Quote) Julie-42315 said:

I'm glad some "traditions" have fallen by the wayside. The last two weddings I attended, they didn't do the garter or bouquet toss. My sister made a nice speech and presented her bouquet to a good friend of hers who helped her a lot with her wedding dress.

Talk about tacky - in the early 90s, they used to play that Billy Idol "Mony Mony" song at receptions. People would do a vulgar chant where they'd curse. Gross.

Going into debt over overblown receptions with hundreds of guests that the couple have never even met seems ridiculous to me. A smaller reception with your family and favorite people sounds fine to me.

--hide--

I know exactly what chant you mean. I love Billy Idol (big fan of that genre)but yes that chant was pretty tacky. It's funny because I was just talking to my mom about the wedding issue and how people go in debt. I've become involved with the local American Legion and they are renting out the space for weddings. I never gave it much thought until I saw it decorated pretty and that there is probably space for 150-200 people or possibly more. They also have a private bar you can rent as well. Even food can be catered at one of the local stores. They even have a stage for a band or DJ and room to dance. Obviously no idea how much all of this would cost but I'm willing to bet it would be cheaper than renting a fancier place. Not that I'm getting married soon or even engaged but honestly I would probably have 100 or so people I'd be inviting on my side so unless I married a guy with a large family we could have a smaller (say 200 people)wedding. I mean why invite people who have no connection to me?
08/17/2012 new

(Quote) AnneMarie-641597 said: 1. Veils not required. There is some history involved, but it's been a LONG time since I ...
(Quote) AnneMarie-641597 said:

1. Veils not required. There is some history involved, but it's been a LONG time since I have looked at it. There are some good websites that have that history. Being "given away" is also not a necessity. I was raised by my mother. She walked me down the aisle with a close male friend. My best childhood friend had both of her parents walk her down - that was after her mother sang Ave Maria and had us all in tears. It was just truly beautiful on all counts. Truth...let the flames fly, but obey was left in my vows, my choice. NO - I will not explain, debate or justify the issue. My choice and I would do the same again in the future.

2. Unsure of the flowers. We did not do it, and no one in my ex's extremely traditional family mentioned it ever. They would have. We didn't have unity candles either, but that is a beautiful thing.

3. Garter toss is what you're comfortable with. It does not have to be done. Sinful..maybe, but I really don't see anyone getting crazed about if it is done tastefully. Hmm...let me think about that some more. It's not usually done tastefully - lol.

Ask away...this is kind of fun. Giving me some things to think about as well!

--hide--

1) Agree

2) I have seen people give flowers to Mary.

3) Did the garter toss

08/25/2012 new

When my sister got married, she did not want to do the garter toss/throw the bouquet thing at all. Her issue was not as much with the modesty as with the superstition attached that the one who catches it will be the next to marry. Instead, during that part of the reception, she asked all of the married couples to stand. She then asked those who had been married 5 yrs or less to sit, then 10 years, 15, until only the longest married couple was standing. She and her husband presented them with an arrangement of roses, thanked them for their example, and asked their prayers for their perseverance. Since then I have seen this at many receptions, but I don't know if she caused it or if it was a coincidence.

I have a very good friend who had the Litany of the Saints sung before his wedding. I don't remember now if it was the processional hymn or if it was before Mass started, but he wanted to ask the intercession of the saints for a holy marriage. He called me to ask if I knew any fuller chants for it. I thought that was a beautiful idea and told him I planned to steal it if/when I get married.

09/17/2012 new

In Australia it is usual for the father to walk his daughter down the isle. I dont know what is said when they get there but when I was married 42 years ago the Priest said "who gives this woman to be married to this man
"

Posts 71 - 76 of 76