Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

error: Post not found!

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

Singles discussion related to wedding planning, engagement, and married life should be posted in this room.

Saint Valentine is patron saint of love, young people, and happy marriages.
Learn More: Saint Valentine

08/14/2012 new
(Quote) Kathy-635104 said: I'm kind of partial to "Still Standing." Now you have a glimpse into my first marriage:) ...
(Quote) Kathy-635104 said:

I'm kind of partial to "Still Standing." Now you have a glimpse into my first marriage:)

--hide--

:-))
08/14/2012 new

(Quote) Chris-280015 said: All in the Family is in there somewhere, but as what??
(Quote) Chris-280015 said:

All in the Family is in there somewhere, but as what??
--hide--
Simple question, but the answer isn't that easy. Indirectly (and sometimes directly), the show was aimed at teaching. We could see how silly some of our thinking might be when it came to issues of prejudice and discrimination. It was an attempt at shooting down stereotypes. The show demonstrated the folly of our biases; it didn't support them. There was mockery, but with a positive result.

But, we also see something else throught the series -- family dynamics. No matter how goofy some of Archie's ideas were, Edith stuck by him in marriage and in her own way displayed the opposite tendencies -- childlike innocence and acceptance of others. It doesn't mean she agreed with him about everything, but she accepted him along with his shortcomings. The family stuck together, through thick and thin, including Gloria and Meathead. All-in-all, they helped each other grow in positive ways.

08/14/2012 new

(Quote) Ray-566531 said: Simple question, but the answer isn't that easy. Indirectly (and sometimes directly), the show ...
(Quote) Ray-566531 said:

Simple question, but the answer isn't that easy. Indirectly (and sometimes directly), the show was aimed at teaching. We could see how silly some of our thinking might be when it came to issues of prejudice and discrimination. It was an attempt at shooting down stereotypes. The show demonstrated the folly of our biases; it didn't support them. There was mockery, but with a positive result.

But, we also see something else throught the series -- family dynamics. No matter how goofy some of Archie's ideas were, Edith stuck by him in marriage and in her own way displayed the opposite tendencies -- childlike innocence and acceptance of others. It doesn't mean she agreed with him about everything, but she accepted him along with his shortcomings. The family stuck together, through thick and thin, including Gloria and Meathead. All-in-all, they helped each other grow in positive ways.

--hide--

Absolutley, Ray!!! My daughter and I had this discussion when Sherman Helmsley died. She was surprised that so many people loved Archie Bunker. We had about a 30 minute discussion on all the good parts of the show and how it showed what was important. heart

08/14/2012 new

(Quote) AnneMarie-641597 said: Absolutley, Ray!!! My daughter and I had this discussion when Sherman Helmsley died. ...
(Quote) AnneMarie-641597 said:

Absolutley, Ray!!! My daughter and I had this discussion when Sherman Helmsley died. She was surprised that so many people loved Archie Bunker. We had about a 30 minute discussion on all the good parts of the show and how it showed what was important.

--hide--
Parents have a good opportunity to participate in these "teaching moments", and I'm sure both of you became wiser as a result of your discussion.

I have to contrast All in the Family with Maude -- another popular show. I felt that the characters were attacking everything that was good and holy. There's such a thing as mildly irreverent humor which involves poking fun at some of the things we do and the way we do them, but their irreverance went far beyond that. The absolute worst of that series involved Maude having an abortion, and having it regarded as acceptable. That was rock bottom.

All in the Family ended up having a positive influence on people; Maude failed miserably and followed the moral breakdown of the times.

Sad....

08/14/2012 new

(Quote) Ana-840226 said: Someone once asked what does marriage look like. To make it simple, I directed her to "Everybo...
(Quote) Ana-840226 said:

Someone once asked what does marriage look like. To make it simple, I directed her to "Everybody Loves Raymond": www.youtube.com

What show/movie do you feel comes close to marriage?

--hide--

theheart I agree with you; "everybody loves Raymond is close".....................

I thought that it would be nice to suggest to EWTN to have a Catholic family sitcom that acts out Catholic life struggles and challenges.

And would also show how Catholics live; especially for those who are not Catholic or considering to convert.

rosary

Posts 51 - 55 of 55