Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

Singles discussion related to wedding planning, engagement, and married life should be posted in this room.

Saint Valentine is patron saint of love, young people, and happy marriages.
Learn More: Saint Valentine

What happens after engagement?

Aug 15th 2012 new
Okay say you date a woman and pop the question. She says yes. Now what? Do you take wedding prep classes? For how long? Do you have to pass a test to get married in the Church?

This hasn't happened to me yet. Just curious.
Aug 15th 2012 new
(Quote) David-562122 said: Okay say you date a woman and pop the question. She says yes. Now what? Do you take wedding prep classes? For how ...
(Quote) David-562122 said: Okay say you date a woman and pop the question. She says yes. Now what? Do you take wedding prep classes? For how long? Do you have to pass a test to get married in the Church?

--hide--

Me: I jump around and tell the world, and of course change my Facebook status to engaged.

My parents: pray to Go and sau "finally" as they call everyone.

Seriously though I would assume you would go talk to the priest as soon as possible. I know they have engaged encounters so maybe do that one weekend? Not to mention start the planning like book a hall and buy a dress.
Aug 15th 2012 new
How much are engagement rings going for nowadays? Can you get an acceptable ring for $500.00? I'm tapped out.
Aug 15th 2012 new

(Quote) David-562122 said: Okay say you date a woman and pop the question. She says yes. Now what? Do you take wedding prep classes...
(Quote) David-562122 said: Okay say you date a woman and pop the question. She says yes. Now what? Do you take wedding prep classes? For how long? Do you have to pass a test to get married in the Church?

--hide--

If you have reasonable credit, you could put $500 and then pay on installment---usually, if paid off within 12 to 18 months, there are interest free plans. $500 would buy a ring; you might consider her birthstone or other semi-precious or colored gemstones. Some are more reasonable than a diamond, as colored gemstones are measured by size, not weight. You could get a large or broad one for less cost than a diamond; they are also becoming trendy. Claddaghs with one or a few small stones are also a nice engagement ring.

As for anything else, our Archdiocese (and most, do) requires notification to a priest where you are considering celebrating the nuptials, or, at minimum, your local priest. Usually, certificates of baptism, confirmation, etc. are reviewed in metropolitan areas. (out here, where they've known you forever, that's less the case). The engagement can be "official" after the priest determines there are no impediments (no annullments not granted, etc.) for a Church wedding (with or without a Mass). Then, the couple need to determine the venue and speak to the priest there, or, if requesting a local priest/friend priest to travel there, they can go through the requested celebrant. Some churches (ours do) allow outside priests, others, instead, prefer a co-celebrant with the pastor. Usually the priest performing the counseling is the same as the celebrant in rural areas, but in parishes with multiple priests, there might be a designated person to do this. Engaged Encounter, a retreat-type session, is usually required in most areas, but there are alternatives to busy or traveling couples, i.e. a month of Friday evenings or Saturday mornings. . . . Talk to your local priest, probably, first, as he can advise and direct you.

Here, anyone is permitted, usually, to use any church (we have some fantastically painted, decorated, stained-glass, icons and statues, etc. at some of the traditional design, older churches, and for a fee, you can usually get married in any of these. This is not the case in many dioceses; you usually must get married in the Church of the bride or groom, or one with a family connection (i.e. the bride's former home church before she left home). Some areas, like Kansas City, Missouri, for example, actually prefer the couple celebrate (when feasible) at the parish they will attend together so as to share it with their church family. . . . this isn't hard and fast. An old guide I read on planning liturgies said that for Catholics (even if both were Catholic) the GROOM's parish or future parish as a married man was the parish of choice. . . .

Aug 15th 2012 new

(Quote) David-562122 said: How much are engagement rings going for nowadays? Can you get an acceptable ring for $500.00? I'm ta...
(Quote) David-562122 said: How much are engagement rings going for nowadays? Can you get an acceptable ring for $500.00? I'm tapped out.
--hide--

Hey David What ever amount you want to spend on an engagement ring is up to you. I don't think a dollar amount really matters. I believe it has more to do with the sentiment behind the ring.

A good friend of mine proposed to his gf by presenting her with an origami ring made from a beer label off of the first drink they had together. It might sound corny to some, and maybe not all women would go for that, but when you know the couple and their entire story it is super cool!! The are so darn happy together, like two peas in a pod.

I read a blog about a man who made his gf a ring from craft supplies, again when you know the story it is very personal and very much "them".

You could always use your grandma's ring???? Unless of course grandma still has it on. biggrin

Personally I would be rather impressed by a man who would be creative with an engagement ring rather then spending a big chunk of $$$$. Not that I would say no to that though.

I guess the best thing to do is Not Worry cause you will know the right thing to do when it is time.

Best of luck to you.

Aug 15th 2012 new
Thanks Lynn. I better make sure I don't lose my baptismal certificate.

I do have the ring that I gave my ex-fianc; yes guys, it's okay to get your ring back if the

girl breaks it off with you. Is it tacky to reuse an engagement ring (assuming it fits)? The ring is beautiful and cost me $1,000. It has a nice platinum design with a diamond setting. It doesn't look like a traditional engagement ring which is why she probably picked it out--so she could wear it after she dumped me.

When she grudgingly gave me back my ring and stormed off, I pretended to throw the ring into the woods behind her house. I kept imagining her outside at night with a flashlight, on her hands and knees scouring through the bushes frantically crying like Gollum, my precious!! where are you my preciousss...".
Aug 15th 2012 new
Well Amy, I'm kind of traditional and competitive. I want the best for my significant other and use to spend beyond my means to keep up with the Joneses. But times have changed and cheap credit is a thing of the past.

But I get what your saying. If only more women agreed.
Aug 15th 2012 new

(Quote) David-562122 said: Well Amy, I'm kind of traditional and competitive. I want the best for my significant other and use ...
(Quote) David-562122 said: Well Amy, I'm kind of traditional and competitive. I want the best for my significant other and use to spend beyond my means to keep up with the Joneses. But times have changed and cheap credit is a thing of the past.

But I get what your saying. If only more women agreed.
--hide--

I forgot to tell you this story about my SIL and brother. After their 3rd date SIL sent my bro a picture of the engagement ring she wanted and a text saying....If you want to marry me this is the ring I want!!!

Well, he wanted her alright and paid the $3,000 for an engagement ring. Again if you know them it totally works for them!

It's all about what is right for the two of you.

(can you believe that....after the 3rd date!) She said she knew she was worth it and wouldn't settle for less.......Love their story!!!!

Aug 15th 2012 new

(Quote) David-562122 said: Thanks Lynn. I better make sure I don't lose my baptismal certificate. I do have the ring th...
(Quote) David-562122 said: Thanks Lynn. I better make sure I don't lose my baptismal certificate.

I do have the ring that I gave my ex-fianc; yes guys, it's okay to get your ring back if the

girl breaks it off with you. Is it tacky to reuse an engagement ring (assuming it fits)? The ring is beautiful and cost me $1,000. It has a nice platinum design with a diamond setting. It doesn't look like a traditional engagement ring which is why she probably picked it out--so she could wear it after she dumped me.

When she grudgingly gave me back my ring and stormed off, I pretended to throw the ring into the woods behind her house. I kept imagining her outside at night with a flashlight, on her hands and knees scouring through the bushes frantically crying like Gollum, my precious!! where are you my preciousss...".
--hide--

David, David, David!!!! Oh my!!!! I think there is too much bad karma with a ring you alread presented to someone!!!!

Maybe sell...save the cash, and by all means DO NOT tell your fiance!!!!! Actually tell NO ONE. laughing laughing laughing laughing laughing

Aug 15th 2012 new

(Quote) David-562122 said: When she grudgingly gave me back my ring and stormed off, I pretended to throw the ring into the woo...
(Quote) David-562122 said:
--hide--
laughing laughing laughing

Posts 1 - 10 of 200