Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

Singles discussion related to wedding planning, engagement, and married life should be posted in this room.

Saint Valentine is patron saint of love, young people, and happy marriages.
Learn More: Saint Valentine

Money in a 2nd Marriage

Aug 17th 2012 new

How do you think money should be handled in marriage? I'm thinking that especialling in a 2nd marriage there maybe problems around money. When you marry really young, usually nobody has anything to start with. That can be totally different in a 2nd marriage or when the partners are older. Is there any good advice on handling it?

Aug 17th 2012 new
I'm not sure but I would think combining finances and then people have their financial duties would work best. In the case of marriages where children are involved I would keep the income separate because things like child support could require the stepparent to support that (which I strongly oppose).
Aug 17th 2012 new

Any time there is a remarriage, the stepparents income comes into play when support is figured - whether anyone likes it, or not. Just is what it is. heart

Aug 17th 2012 new
(Quote) AnneMarie-641597 said: Any time there is a remarriage, the stepparents income comes into play when support is figured - whether an...
(Quote) AnneMarie-641597 said:

Any time there is a remarriage, the stepparents income comes into play when support is figured - whether anyone likes it, or not. Just is what it is.

--hide--

That is very true. I actually know stepparents paying support because they make more than both biological parents. I once dated a man who married a woman who was a lawyer. He was a laborer I think and his exwife was a stay at home mom. His new wife ended up supporting his family, including his exwife.
Aug 17th 2012 new

(Quote) Dawn-758914 said: That is very true. I actually know stepparents paying support because they make more than both bi...
(Quote) Dawn-758914 said:

That is very true. I actually know stepparents paying support because they make more than both biological parents. I once dated a man who married a woman who was a lawyer. He was a laborer I think and his exwife was a stay at home mom. His new wife ended up supporting his family, including his exwife.
--hide--

I would definitely not want to do that. I have raised my children and financially supported them, (except the youngest who is still at home). If they were living with me that would be different a bit of a different situation. It seems so complicated.

Aug 17th 2012 new
(Quote) Marirose-887295 said: I would definitely not want to do that. I have raised my children and financially supported the...
(Quote) Marirose-887295 said:

I would definitely not want to do that. I have raised my children and financially supported them, (except the youngest who is still at home). If they were living with me that would be different a bit of a different situation. It seems so complicated.

--hide--

It's why it's a poor choice financially for a childless person to marry someone with kids. By kids I mean even into college and even past that now with the horrible economy.
Aug 17th 2012 new

(Quote) Dawn-758914 said: It's why it's a poor choice financially for a childless person to marry someone with kids...
(Quote) Dawn-758914 said:

It's why it's a poor choice financially for a childless person to marry someone with kids. By kids I mean even into college and even past that now with the horrible economy.
--hide--

My adult children are self sufficient, thankfully. But you got your point across. Good luck!

Sep 4th 2012 new

(Quote) AnneMarie-641597 said: Any time there is a remarriage, the stepparents income comes into play when support is figure...
(Quote) AnneMarie-641597 said:

Any time there is a remarriage, the stepparents income comes into play when support is figured - whether anyone likes it, or not. Just is what it is.

--hide--
It may be true in SC that a step-parent's income comes into play with child support, AnneMarie, but not in Tennessee. I can't say about other states.

- Elizabeth

Sep 4th 2012 new

(Quote) Marirose-887295 said: How do you think money should be handled in marriage? I'm thinking that especialling in a ...
(Quote) Marirose-887295 said:

How do you think money should be handled in marriage? I'm thinking that especialling in a 2nd marriage there maybe problems around money. When you marry really young, usually nobody has anything to start with. That can be totally different in a 2nd marriage or when the partners are older. Is there any good advice on handling it?

--hide--

I think there should be a joint account for combined household expenses, but both parties should have their own "mad money" where they are not accountable to either spouse (within reason). I also think they should have joint savings and retirement to build toward their future. As for what either party had before they married, that should be worked out prior to the nuptuals (heirlooms you want to leave to your children or family, etc). I guess it helps if both parties have similar values when it comes to money.

Just my opinion . . . cool

Sep 5th 2012 new

It does in North Carolina and New Jersey, as well, and indirectly all over. Think about this, when the absent parent's income and debt ratio is figured, whatever housing, etc. costs they incur, is SPLIT with the new spouse. In that sense, the new spouse's income always comes into play. In New York and New Jersey, straight income may be attached. heart

Posts 1 - 10 of 37