Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion for anyone who adheres to the Extraordinary form of the mass and any issues related to the practices of Eastern Rite Catholicism.

Saint Athanasius is counted as one of the four Great Doctors of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Athanasius

In the Eastern Catholic and Orthodox Liturgical Year, September the First is considered New Year's Day, the first day of the year according to the Byzantine Year of Creation Calendar. This September the First will be the beginning of the Year of Creation 7521. orthodoxwiki.org

You can consider this a very early "year in review" thread, if you like, but what events do you think are significant during the Byzantine Liturgical year 7520, now drawing to a close?

One event that may have future significance may be the blasphemous and sacriligious protest by the band P(Meow) Riot (I think the context of the name precludes my using it in a Catholic Thread) before the iconostatis of Christ the Savior Cathedral in Moscow earlier this year. Many Russians see this event, and the sacrileges done in support of it such as the chainsawing of an Eastern Catholic crucifix in Kiev by the feminist group FEMEN as an attack by the Western groups on the heart of Russian culture. Western media attention has focused on the trial as a "show trial" and have attempted to put Russia in a bad light as oppressors of "free speech", but the protest was not just a political one, but attacked Christian belief and mocked Eastern Christian practice and the Blessed Virgin Mary.

www.lifesitenews.com

rorate-caeli.blogspot.com

windowstorussia.com

An orthodox writer, Frederica Matthews-Green, points out the significance of the incident to Orthodox believers, which I think is something we should share as Catholics whether we are Eastern or Latin Rite.

www.frederica.com

It is signicant also because it marks a contrast between US and Russian cultures I've been noticing for some time, and I can show through their space programs. In 1961, Vostok 1 carried Yuri Gregarin as the first man in orbit, and a phrase attributed to that flight but which shows the official spirit of the USSR was the line, ""I did not see any God up here." The statement, according to Interfax, was made by Nikita Kruchev and carried by USSR propaganda. Fifty years later, the Russian space capsule Soyuz TMA22 was blesed by a Russian Orthodox priest, and the Cosmonauts carried an Icon of Our Lady of Kazan to the International Space Station. The Icon is displayed behind the astronauts inside the capsule in the picture.

www.asianews.it

Other icons floating in zero gravity in the ISS. This had happened before.

www.catholicnewsagency.com

Contrast that with the famous recitation by the astronauts on Apollo of Genesis 1 as they orbited the Moon over Christmas in 1968. Does anyone think an astronaut in the US program now, even if we had the machines to fly to the Space Station, would be allowed to give such a message nowadays?

www.youtube.com

That segueways into the attacks on religious liberty that are occuring in the U.S. and the West this year, as focused by the HHS mandate issued in January. This week, a Vermont couple who ran an inn and refused to host a "New Marriage" reception settled with the ACLU. They were forced to pay $30,000 and end the hosting of any wedding receptions at their inn. There are no professions and businesses that are "Christians need no apply" realms in the U.S.

www.catholicculture.org

Does anyone else have anything to add? And is this appropriate to this forum, or more suited to Current Events?

Sep 1st 2012 new

All Eastern Catholics,

Today, for the Eastern Catholic Church and Orthodox churches, this is the indiction, or Liturgical New Year.

Happy 7521!

Sep 4th 2012 new

Hi Steven,

This is all very interesting, but I have to tell you I am still at the first part concerning the calendar year, I am very confused of how this was all fiqured out,it hasn't made sense to me yet. I read the wiki over 3 times, maybe you could help me understand this, is this the Jewish calendar?

How can you the creation of Adam is only 7521? We know the world is much older than this.

Lost in translation,
Cindy

Sep 4th 2012 new
(Quote) Cindy-534370 said: Hi Steven,This is all very interesting, but I have to tell you I am still at the first part concerning ...
(Quote) Cindy-534370 said:

Hi Steven,

This is all very interesting, but I have to tell you I am still at the first part concerning the calendar year, I am very confused of how this was all fiqured out,it hasn't made sense to me yet. I read the wiki over 3 times, maybe you could help me understand this, is this the Jewish calendar?

How can you the creation of Adam is only 7521? We know the world is much older than this.

Lost in translation,
Cindy

--hide--
Like all dating systems, the Byzantine calendar is strictly arbitrary in where it is started. As certain Catholic commentators note, the geneologies used to make the dating are highly compressed and therefore cannot be taken as a direct age of the world. That said, it is a traditional Easten dating system that uses the Septuagint as the basis of counting in the same way the Masoretic texts are used to generate the Jewish dating system, as well as the system of the Anglican bishop Usher.
Sep 4th 2012 new

(Quote) Steven-706921 said: (Quote) Cindy-534370 said: Hi Steven,This is all very interesting, but I...
(Quote) Steven-706921 said:
Quote:
Cindy-534370 said:

Hi Steven,

Lost in translation,
Cindy

Like all dating systems, the Byzantine calendar is strictly arbitrary in where it is started. As certain Catholic commentators note, the geneologies used to make the dating are highly compressed and therefore cannot be taken as a direct age of the world. That said, it is a traditional Easten dating system that uses the Septuagint as the basis of counting in the same way the Masoretic texts are used to generate the Jewish dating system, as well as the system of the Anglican bishop Usher.
--hide--

Thank you for this, and I am so confused with this. Could you please break this down. From what I gather it is derived on the creation of Adam.

Lost in translation,
Cindy

Sep 4th 2012 new

(Quote) Cindy-534370 said: Thank you for this, and I am so confused with this. Could you please break this down....
(Quote) Cindy-534370 said:

Thank you for this, and I am so confused with this. Could you please break this down. From what I gather it is derived on the creation of Adam.

Lost in translation,
Cindy

--hide--

it is based on the years given in the geneologies in Genesis onward. There is a difference in that numbering between the Septuagint - the Greek translation used in Synagogue liturgy in the First Century, and the Masoretic texts - that is, the Hebrew Scriptures that informed the translation of the King James and bibles since that time.

Posts 1 - 6 of 6