Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is dedicated to those who are facing the challenge of raising children without the support of a spouse. This is a place to share ideas and lend mutual support.

Saint Rita is known to be a patroness for abused wives and mourning women.
Learn More: Saint Rita

Time

Sep 9th 2012 new

As a single patent I often feel like I'm playing "Beat The Clock." I wake up, do laundry, get ready for work, get the kids off to school, work, puck up groceries in the way home, make dinner, pick one child up at school, bring the other to the library, help with homework and sign release slips, do the dishes, get them off to bed, wash more clothes, pay bilks, go to bed and start all over again in the morning. If I want to exercise, my window is from 4:30 to 5:30 am. So my question is...how do you make time for yourself? What do you do to rejuvenate?

Sep 9th 2012 new

(Quote) Kathy-635104 said: As a single patent I often feel like I'm playing "Beat The Clock." I wake up, do la...
(Quote) Kathy-635104 said:

As a single patent I often feel like I'm playing "Beat The Clock." I wake up, do laundry, get ready for work, get the kids off to school, work, puck up groceries in the way home, make dinner, pick one child up at school, bring the other to the library, help with homework and sign release slips, do the dishes, get them off to bed, wash more clothes, pay bilks, go to bed and start all over again in the morning. If I want to exercise, my window is from 4:30 to 5:30 am. So my question is...how do you make time for yourself? What do you do to rejuvenate?

--hide--

Time for self, what's that? laughing

I usually find my time to unwind when my daughter goes to bed. I read or get online. However my house is always a mess. My daughter comes first, and I homeschool, then work. Cleaning is last on my list of things to worry about. Plus my daughter helps with the chores and has since she was really little.

Just keep praying and being the best parent you can be. ONe day the kids will be all grown up and out of the house. Then you will wonder what to do with all the time you have. biggrin

Sep 9th 2012 new
I exercise in the 4:30-5:30 spot. I am much like you and find that to have a quiet moment I'm either up at the crack of dawn or up late at night which deprives me of sleep. If my kids are ever visiting grandparents or relatives if even for a couple hours I take that time for me. Not for errands, chores, or what have you. A lot depends on the age of your kids and the support system you have as well as how creative you can be. It's tough but doable.
Sep 10th 2012 new

Thank you, Angela and Jessica.
I certainly don't look forward to the day they are out of the house and they are older so they do help out whenever asked. They both take high performance classes so they have a ton of homework and that takes priority over cleaning. They have never spent a night or week at their grandparents. One may spend a night or two at their friend's, but then the other will have a friend over here. I love my children, so I'm not complaining. I'm just wondering what others do to take care of yourself. Do you have a set hour for adoration, buy yourself a bouquet of flowers, go out with a girlfriend? What works to keep you energized and raring to go?

Sep 10th 2012 new
(Quote) Kathy-635104 said: Thank you, Angela and Jessica.I certainly don't look forward to the day they are out of the house and t...

I certainly don't look forward to the day they are out of the house and they are older so they do help out whenever asked. They both take high performance classes so they have a ton of homework and that takes priority over cleaning. They have never spent a night or week at their grandparents. One may spend a night or two at their friend's, but then the other will have a friend over here. I love my children, so I'm not complaining. I'm just wondering what others do to take care of yourself. Do you have a set hour for adoration, buy yourself a bouquet of flowers, go out with a girlfriend? What works to keep you energized and raring to go?

--hide--

What I would give to have those fun busy times with my son once more. Find joy in seeing your kids do active, it is worth every second of every day....

When I did have my son though I usually made time for First Friday mass and whatever was going on at church. After he turned 16 I started dating again so I had some adult time both with and without him around....
Sep 10th 2012 new

I am sorry, Brenda, that you had to experience such a great loss. I am always aware of the blessings my children are and I do enjoy them everyday. Thank you for your reply.

Sep 11th 2012 new

(Quote) Kathy-635104 said: Thank you, Angela and Jessica.I certainly don't look forward to the day they are out of t...

--hide--

My 2 closest friends and I have a game night about once a month. They are both married, one also has kids. If we cant get away from the kids, we go to the friend's house with three kids. Her husbnd and oldest keep an eye on the others. Us 3 ladies sit at the kitchen table play games and get silly. Its our time for us, to catch up on everything, vent, and relax.

Sep 11th 2012 new

I love this idea! Thank you!

Sep 13th 2012 new
(Quote) Kathy-635104 said: Thank you, Angela and Jessica.I certainly don't look forward to the day they are out of the house and t...

--hide--

Hi Kathy, I understand your teenagers are taking advanced courses. And you have a day job. Could you evaluate and simplify the home life? I had this experience in two stages. Once with two teens, 18 months apart; and then with my youngest one who graduated from high school last year. The last one was the most exhausting! But I enjoyed the whirlwinds. It is amazing to see them in this stage.

I slowly started shifting responsibility on how we organized ourselves at home. You can exhaust yourself mentally and physically just worrying if they got the homework done and are they ready for a test. If I could get back all the energy spent on worrying about homework, college entrance tests..etc etc... it would add 10 more years to my life. Let them take turns planning dinner a few times a week. You will feel pampered if they pick the menu, cook, and clean up ...even if you had to give them a ride to the store to grocery shop (and provide the money). Stay in the car and read a book!

My last one went away for four months to live on campus...which she hated. Now she is back at home and attending college locally. I am very happy because I missed her ...and she cooks for me. Plus I hardly ever ask if she's ready for the next test. I keep the question in my head laughing I guess we really never stop worrying.
Sep 13th 2012 new
Hi Kathy,

I work a full time job and have little to no support really. I am always tired from doing everything and worrying. However, my me time is in the form of 30 mins I spend in adoration during my lunch break. Being a melancholic it helps to have that time alone, I guess I am lucky I work near a big hospital which has the chapel. The other thing is that I cook simple dishes during weekdays so that I can help with homework and stick to my bedtime hour whether the house is clean and chores are done or not!! I have one hour before I go to sleep and I usually get to read a book (if it is weekend I watch a movie ) and pray. I feel more relaxed with this routine even if everything is not picture perfect.

The plus side is that my babies are happy and growing well.

God bless you.
Posts 1 - 10 of 15