Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

Did you ever see a Pope?

09/23/2012 new

If so where, when and what was the context?

I saw JPII back around 1995 when I was backpacking around Europe. He used to come to the window on the Square (I think on Tuesdays) and talk to the crowd. It was a rainy day, everyone with umbrellas. He was was speaking Italian, and I was not Catholic, just a tourist. It was just something to do. What I loved was that he seemed to have a wonderful sense of humor and made the drenched crowd break into laughter. He seemed like a truly personable, special person.

09/23/2012 new
I have not seen a Pope but last fall while visiting the New Cathedral in St Louis I prayed in the room they said Pope John Paul II had private prayer in. Inside the room was a book to enter the names of deceased loved ones and they said those names would be remembered all year. I found great peace thinking about having my sons name in that book.... angel
09/23/2012 new

That's lovely Brenda, thank you for sharing that story:o)

09/23/2012 new
(Quote) Laura-695247 said: That's lovely Brenda, thank you for sharing that story:o)
(Quote) Laura-695247 said:

That's lovely Brenda, thank you for sharing that story:o)

--hide--

Thanks Laura, I liked your story also biggrin
09/23/2012 new

Yes, this March 7 in St. Peter's Square! I was in the front row for the Papal Audience and have a framed picture of Pope Benedict XVI passing by me to remember it. Not that it's a day I will ever forget!

09/23/2012 new

rosary Although from a distance, I did see the Pope. It was on his Papal visit to the United States in October, 1979. About twenty thousand teenagers joined me for the event. biggrin

God bless Pope John Paul II!
Pray for Peace
Praying rosary

09/23/2012 new

That's wonderful, Laura! I saw JPII back in 1979 when he came to Chicago. I was in 8th grade at the time. I remember waving to him as he went down a busy street in my neighborhood. It was awesome.

09/23/2012 new

(Quote) Linda-592286 said: That's wonderful, Laura! I saw JPII back in 1979 when he came to Chicago. I was in 8th grade ...
(Quote) Linda-592286 said:

That's wonderful, Laura! I saw JPII back in 1979 when he came to Chicago. I was in 8th grade at the time. I remember waving to him as he went down a busy street in my neighborhood. It was awesome.

--hide--

Hmmm....looks like you and Michael may have been in the same place!

09/23/2012 new

Hi Laura,
I actually saw Il Papa in Madison Square Garden (NYC). But, yes, it was the same year.
As they say in Italian: come tempo vola--how time flies!
And as Sam Cooke sang, "I was a mere lad of sixteen."

Thanks to everyone for sharing hug

09/23/2012 new

I saw Pope John Paul II from a distance when he said Mass

in Grant Park in Chicago in 1979. When he got to the

doxology (Through Him, with Him, and in Him, in the unity of the

Holy Spirit, all glory and honor is yours Almighty Father,

forever and ever....)

people started chanting, "Long live the Pope,

Long live the Pope, ..."

after which John Paul paused slightly and said: "Amen."

Posts 1 - 10 of 66