Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

Sep 24th 2012 new

Yes! Blessed John Paul II before the enclosed Popemobile. We were at the obelisk waiting for his audience when he rode right in front of us. I could not switch from my zoom to wide angle fast enough to catch a photo as he held both of my mother's hands. It was a few years after my brother, my maternal grandmother and my nephew had died. My mother had their photos pinned to her coat. In that moment I had quickly prayed that if he would happen to touch one of us, let it be my mom. Many times I have wished I had dropped my camera. I have one of my photos in my profile...

Sep 24th 2012 new

Saw Pope Paul VI twice....many eons..ago! Once was at the Stations of the Cross during Lent. He was above the square where the Coliseum is.

I remember how majestic he looked with his robes blowing freely in the wind....plus his reverence! (never forget that)

Not long after that...I was at a regular (audience with the Pope) I was perhaps 20 yards away. Poor thing looked so thin and frail; but had the most penetrating eyes~

Sep 24th 2012 new

My dad and I saw John Paul II when he came to Detroit in 1987. However, my motive was less than pure because I only went along so my dad could take me to a Tigers game afterwards. embarassed But hey, the Tigers won that day!

Sep 24th 2012 new

Pope John Paul and Christmas mass in Rome at the Vatican. :)

Sep 24th 2012 new
I was/ am blessed to have attended World Youth Day in Denver in 1993. I was twelve rows away from JPII when he went past in the Popemobile. I was in Mile High Stadium with 90,000 other young people, and at Cherry Creek Park for the Vigil and Mass with 400,000.

I have struggled for years to try to capture the experience in words. It's difficult to express adequately the peace, grace, joy, and challenge that those four days in Denver have given me. I went to WYD eager to see my Rocky Mountains again. I never counted on seeing JPII, and honestly didn't really care. But seeing him changed it all. There is no disputing being in the presence of that Man of God... holiness and humility oozed off of him.

He was our great advocate on earth. Our shepherd. Our papa. I have no doubt he is interceding for us, right along side the Blessed Mother, in Heaven.

JPII, I love you! Pray for me!

poperosaryPraying
Sep 24th 2012 new
I was incredibly blessed to be in St. Peter's square when pope Benedict was ellected and was present for his first papal audience. The fact that I was even in Italy at the time was a miracle. My family had a house which was on the market at the time, we found a buyer rather incredibly, right as my parents had a strong sensation that we should all make a pilgrimage to Italy. To make a long story short, my family and I made an 11 day pilgarmiage to Italy and on the day of the election we were supposed to be leaving Rome for Pisa at about mid afternoon. After the first papal vote in the morning came back inconclusive (black smoke), my father made a ton of phone calls to rearrange our travel plans, but was only able to buy us enough time to stay for one more vote. Amazingly, one more vote is all it took. It was one if the fastest recorded papal elections to date.
Sep 24th 2012 new

I saw Paul VI. Met him in 1977. My Aunt (by marriage) had a cousin who was a (eveidently highly-placed) priest at the Vatican. He was giving us a tour of the building and suddenly Paul came down the hallway and stopped to speak with our guide.

When I was about 13 months old, John XXIII held me in his arms. My grandmother was holding me and he stretched out his hands so she let him hold me. He blessed me and returned me to her.

What blessings!

Sep 24th 2012 new

i saw JPII from VERY far away in krakow in June 1983. It was so far, I didn't really see him. I saw the platform on which he was speaking.

Sep 24th 2012 new

Indeed! I saw BXVI during his Apostolic visit to the United States and was able to attend his Mass at Yankee Stadium in NYC. I also saw him in Madrid in August, 2011, at World Youth Day.

Sep 24th 2012 new

(Quote) Garrett-880290 said: I was incredibly blessed to be in St. Peter's square when pope Benedict was ellected and was prese...
(Quote) Garrett-880290 said: I was incredibly blessed to be in St. Peter's square when pope Benedict was ellected and was present for his first papal audience. The fact that I was even in Italy at the time was a miracle. My family had a house which was on the market at the time, we found a buyer rather incredibly, right as my parents had a strong sensation that we should all make a pilgrimage to Italy. To make a long story short, my family and I made an 11 day pilgarmiage to Italy and on the day of the election we were supposed to be leaving Rome for Pisa at about mid afternoon. After the first papal vote in the morning came back inconclusive (black smoke), my father made a ton of phone calls to rearrange our travel plans, but was only able to buy us enough time to stay for one more vote. Amazingly, one more vote is all it took. It was one if the fastest recorded papal elections to date.
--hide--

Welcome to the Forums Garrett! Wow, that sounds cool. I have only seen that black smoke in the movies.

Posts 21 - 30 of 66