Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

error: Post not found!

A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

A Man of Honor

Sep 26th 2012 new

I read a profile recently where the gentleman listed this about himself stating that he is a man of honor. I was very impressed and wanted to know more. What types of qualities would a man of honor possess? How would you describe him and how he lives? Thank you ahead of time for the discussion we will have!

Honor is a word we do not hear a lot these days. Do certain actions, qualities or behaviors and beliefs come to mind?

I have been teaching and I notice that in the public schools there is a serious attempt to teach values and morals as well as an attempt to help children promise to graduate from high school by having them make this pledge daily along with pledging to reach for other positive goals. They review the rules of good behavior each day as well. I am so impressed with this.

What do you think of this?

In an adult what constitutes honor?

Sep 26th 2012 new

(Quote) Marian-83994 said: I read a profile recently where the gentleman listed this about himself stating that he is a man ...
(Quote) Marian-83994 said:

I read a profile recently where the gentleman listed this about himself stating that he is a man of honor. I was very impressed and wanted to know more. What types of qualities would a man of honor possess? How would you describe him and how he lives? Thank you ahead of time for the discussion we will have!

Honor is a word we do not hear a lot these days. Do certain actions, qualities or behaviors and beliefs come to mind?

I have been teaching and I notice that in the public schools there is a serious attempt to teach values and morals as well as an attempt to help children promise to graduate from high school by having them make this pledge daily along with pledging to reach for other positive goals. They review the rules of good behavior each day as well. I am so impressed with this.

--hide--
I believe the single primary quality is integrity.

Sep 26th 2012 new
I would add truthfulness to the list.
Sep 26th 2012 new

I think of the movie "Men of Honor" and I think of Marine Corps recruit training. I think of striving to be the person that God sets forth for us to be. Ray is right, integrity is at the top of the list. Forthright comes to mind, too. I know people who think that they are being honest withholding pertinent information because the right question was not asked. That is extremely dishonorable to me.

Honorable people espouse high ideals and are willing to stand for them. Christian martyrs were all honorable. Another common Marine Corps phrase, "Death before dishonor" comes to mind. Honorable people are willing to die for their beliefs, die in the protection of others. heart

Sep 26th 2012 new

I agree with Ray that integrity is critical. I also believe that accountability, and accepting responsibility for one's actions are also key.

Michael

Sep 26th 2012 new

A man of honor to me is someone who has integrity, morals, and values he lives by in his daily life. Someone who is honest, truthful, respectful to others and is a man of his word. wave fluffy

Sep 26th 2012 new
An honorable person is selfless. One has his or her focus centered outside of themselves. Honorable people are disciplined to not cave to the whims of society, peer pressure, or passing fancies. There is a sense of dedication. They serve others. They have humility. They are principled and have high standards for themselves.
Sep 26th 2012 new

(Quote) Ray-566531 said: (Quote) Marian-83994 said: I read a profile recently where the gentleman lis...
(Quote) Ray-566531 said:

Quote:
Marian-83994 said:

I believe the single primary quality is integrity.

--hide--

Thank you. Do you have any further elaboration in describing your meaning of integrity?

Sep 26th 2012 new

(Quote) James-897226 said: I would add truthfulness to the list.
(Quote) James-897226 said: I would add truthfulness to the list.
--hide--

Thank you for posting. Welcome to the forum. I agree that truthfulness would be a TOP quality in this list.

Sep 26th 2012 new

(Quote) AnneMarie-641597 said: I think of the movie "Men of Honor" and I think of Marine Corps recruit training. I...
(Quote) AnneMarie-641597 said:

I think of the movie "Men of Honor" and I think of Marine Corps recruit training. I think of striving to be the person that God sets forth for us to be. Ray is right, integrity is at the top of the list. Forthright comes to mind, too. I know people who think that they are being honest withholding pertinent information because the right question was not asked. That is extremely dishonorable to me.

Honorable people espouse high ideals and are willing to stand for them. Christian martyrs were all honorable. Another common Marine Corps phrase, "Death before dishonor" comes to mind. Honorable people are willing to die for their beliefs, die in the protection of others.

--hide--

Thank you Anne Marie. I like your mention of the person who thinks they are being honest while withholding the pertinent information because the person did not ask the right questions. This is a very good point.

Posts 1 - 10 of 85