Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

Sep 25th 2012 new

(Quote) Ron-26907 said: First of all , I feel very frustrated that I do not live in Ohio or some other state that is up for ...
(Quote) Ron-26907 said:

First of all , I feel very frustrated that I do not live in Ohio or some other state that is up for grabs. Kentucky will vote for Rommeny that I am sure of. Back in 2008, it went for McCain. The Louisville Courier Journal and some other state liberal papers felt that Kentuckians were nothing but rednecks for not voting for Obama.

I was proud to be a Kentuckian that day! Obama has made no headway down here.

I wish are priest and ArchBishop would be more vocal, but they are not hesistant.

--hide--

For those of us who have Christmas card lists, maybe it's time to print some of the stuff given here, and/or get extras of the Religious Liberty magnet and/or the Romney bumper sticker and send them to those we know (and love), especially if they are in any of the swing states. Can't hurt.

Sep 25th 2012 new

(Quote) Wendy-387654 said: For those of us who have Christmas card lists, maybe it's time to print some of ...
(Quote) Wendy-387654 said:

For those of us who have Christmas card lists, maybe it's time to print some of the stuff given here, and/or get extras of the Religious Liberty magnet and/or the Romney bumper sticker and send them to those we know (and love), especially if they are in any of the swing states. Can't hurt.

--hide--

Laura not a bad idea! The stakes are very high. I saw today that France is changing it marriage laws from Mother and Father to "Parents" to accomodate homosexual marriages. We are next

Sep 26th 2012 new

(Quote) Ron-26907 said: First of all , I feel very frustrated that I do not live in Ohio or some other state that is up for ...
(Quote) Ron-26907 said:

First of all , I feel very frustrated that I do not live in Ohio or some other state that is up for grabs. Kentucky will vote for Rommeny that I am sure of. Back in 2008, it went for McCain. The Louisville Courier Journal and some other state liberal papers felt that Kentuckians were nothing but rednecks for not voting for Obama.

I wish are priest and ArchBishop would be more vocal, but they are not hesistant.

--hide--

I know the frustration. I live in Ca. a state that has no chance to go Romney, but we are still working like heck:) However we have voted against gay marriage 2x. They are trying to over ride the will of the people by taking it to court and it looks like they will succeed. What does that say about democracy? Anyway, keep putting out the good word and hopefully the swing states will swing for our religious rights and protection of the unborn!!

Sep 26th 2012 new
(Quote) Laura-56149 said: (Quote) Ron-26907 said: First of all , I feel very frustrated that I do not live ...
(Quote) Laura-56149 said:

Quote:
Ron-26907 said:

I know the frustration. I live in Ca. a state that has no chance to go Romney, but we are still working like heck:) However we have voted against gay marriage 2x. They are trying to over ride the will of the people by taking it to court and it looks like they will succeed. What does that say about democracy? Anyway, keep putting out the good word and hopefully the swing states will swing for our religious rights and protection of the unborn!!

--hide--
Why don't you volunteer to make calls to the swing states? www.mittromney.com
Sep 26th 2012 new

It's Official.

by Joseph Koss
1 day ago

RSS

Romney for Presidentannounced yesterday the Catholics for Romney Coalition. While there has been a loosely organized effort to engage Catholics in the campaign, yesterday’s announcement makes things “official.”

The Romney/Ryan campaignreleased a statementannouncing the coalition and explaining why Catholics are important in this election:

“I am honored to have the support of Catholic leaders from all over this country,” said Mitt Romney. “The Catholic Church embodies all that is great about America—loving your neighbor, defending life, and helping the less fortunate to overcome poverty and rise in the world. Forming a more perfect union requires that we continue to turn these principles into reality. If I am elected president, that will be my highest priority.”

“As a life-long Catholic, I learned very early that we must love our neighbors as we love ourselves,” said Congressman Paul Ryan. “That principle has informed my life in public service, and I am pleased to have so many leaders in the faith supporting Mitt Romney and me in this election. We understand that policymakers must target the root causes of poverty with reforms that promote economic growth and opportunity. Free enterprise and strong communities remain the best means to promote upward mobility and help individuals escape the trap of government dependency. It is an honor to support Governor Romney as he advances solutions that champion the dignity of every human being. That is a goal that people of all faiths can support.”

Granted, these sorts of coalitions happen in due course during every campaign, but the Catholics forRomney National Advisory Committee is made up ofmany of the most influential Catholic political thinkers and advocates. It shows an earnest effort by the campaign, and by those who have signed on to advise, to truly craft a campaign and policy course that will not just appease Catholics, but integrate Catholic social teaching into its decisions.

What this means, for those unfamiliar with politics, is that the campaign will specifically target Catholics to help with the “three legs” that every campaign must rest upon. “Money, Manpower, and Messaging.” Catholics are willing to help in all those areas if the cause is right. This coalition and the people serving as Co-Chairs and Advisors were specifically picked to make sure that Catholics engage in those three areas this election.

For you at home, that means there will be special events (many states will have Catholics for Romney Kickoff events in the coming weeks), directed messaging to Catholics, and appeals from people you are quite familiar with.

While some may see this as a purely political decision due to the importance of the “Catholic Vote” in presidential elections, the list seems to tell a different tale. What one can glean from this announcement is that the selection of Paul Ryan, and the composition of this coalition, are a direct effort by Mitt Romney to speak directly to Catholics and conservatives. Romney has a record that is off-putting to many in the conservative “base.” This coalition signifies that he has plotted a course in a much different direction. Those wary of Romney’s past have wondered whether he was simply ”talking the talk” early on in this campaign, and the question of whether he would “walk the walk” loomed heavily over his head.

This announcement, and the selection of the people on this advisory committee seems to confirm that Romney/Ryan are sincere in their statements.

www.catholicvote.org

Sep 27th 2012 new

www.usccb.org

September 25, 2012 USCCB Pro-Life chairman says Catholics must defend and serve those most in need
Cites Pope Benedict XVI: “If we want peace, let us defend life!”
2012-13 Theme: “Faith Opens Our Eyes to Human Life in All its Grandeur and Beauty”

WASHINGTON— Catholics should “renew their personal commitment to defend all human life, especially the most vulnerable members of the human family,” said Cardinal Daniel DiNardo of Galveston-Houston in a statement marking Respect Life Month, October 2012. Cardinal DiNardo, chairman of the Committee on Pro-Life Activities of the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops (USCCB), addressed various threats to human life and the need to apply principles of faith and morals in the public square.

“By our unflinching defense of human life and religious freedom, by our witness to the transcendent nature of the human person, and by our compassionate service to our brothers and sisters in need, may we spark a renewal of love and commitment to the true good of others,” Cardinal DiNardo said. “Only a love that seeks to serve those most in need, whatever the personal cost to us, is strong enough to overcome a culture of death and build a civilization worthy of human beings made in God’s image.”

The Respect Life Program’s theme for 2012-13 is: “Faith opens our eyes to human life in all its grandeur and beauty.” As Pope Benedict XVI said during his recent apostolic visit to Lebanon, “The grandeur and the raison d’être of each person are found in God alone.”

Cardinal DiNardo highlighted the importance of the 2012-13 Respect Life Program during the Year of Faith called for by Pope Benedict and quoted the pope in Lebanon: “If we want peace, let us defend life! This approach leads us to reject not only war and terrorism, but every assault on innocent human life, on men and women as creatures willed by God. … We must combine our efforts, then, to develop a sound vision of…the human person. Without this, it is impossible to build true peace.”

“These links among faith, the inherent dignity and rights of human beings, and a just and peaceful society were also understood by America’s Founding Fathers,” said Cardinal DiNardo. “How can people coexist, much less flourish, in a society lacking the shared belief that we are called to care for those unable to care for themselves, not to neglect, abuse or kill them? Such basic moral principles have served civilization well for millennia. Yet in recent decades, many people who influence public policy have promoted various exceptions to these principles.”

Cardinal DiNardo cited several issues, including the staggering loss of life and consequent need for healing after involvement in abortion, the death of “extra” embryos and the “selective reduction” of children in utero during fertility procedures, continued promotion of embryo-destructive stem cell research, and euthanasia of the young and old alike. He also cited the erosion of family and community bonds in the four decades since Roe v. Wade and the more recent erosion of respect for conscience rights, especially under the HHS mandate requiring even Catholic individuals and institutions to purchase insurance coverage for morally objectionable drugs and procedures.

Sep 27th 2012 new

washingtonexaminer.com
President Obama's support for abortion and taxpayer funded birth control could kill his chances to win swing voters in Ohio, Virginia, Wisconsin and Florida, and possibly his reelection, according to a new poll.

Likely voters by a 49 percent to 25 percent margin, or two-to-one, say they are less likely to vote for Obama because he included taxpayer funding of abortion in Obamacare. A whopping 54 percent are less likely to back him due to his vote against a law to give equal treatment to babies born alive after a failed abortion. And 69 percent reject the administration's mandate that forces faith-based institutions to provide insurance that covers birth control.

"This survey shows that a few straightforward, specific facts about President Obama and abortion shock the collective conscience of swing voters in battleground states," said pollster Kellyanne Conway. "His support for taxpayer-funded abortion, opposition to Born-Alive Infant protections and 'intimidation through regulation' foisted upon religious organizations draws the ire of between one-half and two-thirds of the voters surveyed," she said.

The poll was conducted by Conway's firm, the polling company, for the Susan B. Anthony List, a group opposed to abortion. The group's president Marjorie Dannenfelser said, "pro-life voters make up a sizable voting bloc capable of achieving victory in close elections. President Obama's record of supporting abortion for any reason and at any time is so extreme that even supporters are turning away."

Both campaigns are struggling to win over swing voters in the four battleground states.

Among the key findings in the poll of 620 likely swing voters in Wisconsin, Florida, Virginia and Ohio September 18-19 provided to Secrets:

-- A majority of swing voters (54%) are less likely to vote for President Obama after learning that he voted against a law to give equal treatment and constitutional protections to babies born alive after a failed abortion (35% much less likely).

-- After learning of President's Obama's record of opposing equal treatment and constitutional rights for babies born alive after a failed abortion, women (53%), independents (46%) and pro-choicers (43%) said they would be less likely to vote for the president.

-- By a margin of 2-to-1 (49%-25%), likely swing voters in battleground states say they are less likely to vote for President Obama based on his inclusion of taxpayer funding of abortion in Obamacare.

-- Swing voters overwhelmingly reject (69%) the HHS mandate that forces faith-based institutions to violate their beliefs and provide coverage for abortion-inducing drugs. Forty four percent of voters said they are much less likely to vote for the candidate who imposes such regulations.

Sep 27th 2012 new

(Quote) Laura-56149 said: . Likely voters....say they are less likely to vote for Obama becaus...

Likely voters....say they are less likely to vote for Obama because he included taxpayer funding of abortion in Obamacare. A whopping 54 percent are less likely to back him due to his vote against a law to give equal treatment to babies born alive after a failed abortion. And 69 percent reject the administration's mandate that forces faith-based institutions to provide insurance that covers bir

Both campaigns are struggling to win over swing voters in the four battleground states.

Among the key findings in the poll of 620 likely swing voters in Wisconsin, Florida, Virginia and Ohio September 18-19 provided to Secrets:

-- A majority of swing voters (54%) are less likely to vote for President Obama after learning that he voted against a law to give equal treatment and constitutional protections to babies born alive after a failed abortion (35% much less likely).

-- After learning of President's Obama's record of opposing equal treatment and constitutional rights for babies born alive after a failed abortion, women (53%), independents (46%) and pro-choicers (43%) said they would be less likely to vote for the president.

-- By a margin of 2-to-1 (49%-25%), likely swing voters in battleground states say they are less likely to vote for President Obama based on his inclusion of taxpayer funding of abortion in Obamacare.

-- Swing voters overwhelmingly reject (69%) the HHS mandate that forces faith-based institutions to violate their beliefs and provide coverage for abortion-inducing drugs. Forty four percent of voters said they are much less likely to vote for the candidate who imposes such regulations.

--hide--

Thanks for keeping us accurately informed Laura. Yesterday, while I was waiting at the ortho.'s office, the regular news was spouting how Obama was (definitely) leading in the polls. They mentioned that Obama and Romney would be campaigning in Ohio, then (of course) they had to throw a dig at Romney, stating how he's waffling on his position about so-and-so. rolling eyes I asked the receptionist if she'd change the channel to Fox. She mumbled something, went to help someone else, and never changed the channel. ashamed

Then at home, when I fired up my computer, my homepage's leading story was about how Obama was leading in the swing states. Sigh.

Connecting to Marian's thread....the perceived norm (Obama is winning, Obama will win, as being repeatedly reported by the media) WILL become the perception (some/many middle of the road/Romney voters will resign themselves to the notion that Obama will win) and thus, some voters won't go to the polls (to vote for Romney).

So again, thank you Laura.

And everyone. Go on a fast, stop watching/listening to the biased news for the next month or so. Detox yourself. Get your news elsewhere. Try Christian online/radio stations.

Sep 27th 2012 new

(Quote) Laura-56149 said: Got this from a priest friend of mine. It shows comparisons between Romney and Obama.http:...

Got this from a priest friend of mine. It shows comparisons between Romney and Obama.

www.catholicvote.org

--hide--

Thanks for sharing this, Laura. I have felt for a long time that the mainstream media isn't doing its job in this election, which should be to have comparisons like this made public. Thanks for the link. I read it all.

Sep 27th 2012 new

(Quote) Wendy-387654 said: Thanks for keeping us accurately informed Laura. Yesterday, while I was waiting at t...
(Quote) Wendy-387654 said:

Thanks for keeping us accurately informed Laura. Yesterday, while I was waiting at the ortho.'s office, the regular news was spouting how Obama was (definitely) leading in the polls. They mentioned that Obama and Romney would be campaigning in Ohio, then (of course) they had to throw a dig at Romney, stating how he's waffling on his position about so-and-so. I asked the receptionist if she'd change the channel to Fox. She mumbled something, went to help someone else, and never changed the channel.

Then at home, when I fired up my computer, my homepage's leading story was about how Obama was leading in the swing states. Sigh.

Connecting to Marian's thread....the perceived norm (Obama is winning, Obama will win, as being repeatedly reported by the media) WILL become the perception (some/many middle of the road/Romney voters will resign themselves to the notion that Obama will win) and thus, some voters won't go to the polls (to vote for Romney).

So again, thank you Laura.

And everyone. Go on a fast, stop watching/listening to the biased news for the next month or so. Detox yourself. Get your news elsewhere. Try Christian online/radio stations.

--hide--

It is so disheartening. Romney not only has to compete with Obama, but has to try and overcome all the free backing from the media. How in any way is this a fair competition? The media put Obama in office last time and they are worse, if possible, this time. It is all so slanted and unfair....it makes me sick. However, we have the most powerful weapon...PRAYER!!! Prayer to give us courage and strength to continue this fight until the end!!! Go USA knight-errant United States Flag

Posts 11 - 20 of 68