Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion related to learning about the faith (Catechetics), defense of the Faith (Apologetics), the Liturgy and canon law, motivated by a desire to grow closer to Christ or to bring someone else closer.

Saint Augustine of Hippo is considered on of the greatest Christian thinkers of all time and the Doctor of the Church.
Learn More: Saint Augustine

Last night I visited with someone who I have not talked to in over a year and she was encouraging to take the Spiritual Life courses offered by our diocese with hopefully becoming a Spiritual Director. So I wondered if anyone on CM had ever taken such courses or has become or knows of someone who is a Spiritual Director who is not a priest or nun?

09/28/2012 new

I cannot say that I know of any lay persons in our parish who are, but I seem to recall that there is a list on the website for our Diocese.

09/28/2012 new

Which diocese are you in?

09/28/2012 new

(Quote) Ann-875509 said: Which diocese are you in?
(Quote) Ann-875509 said:

Which diocese are you in?

--hide--

The Diocese of Austin, Texas

09/28/2012 new

(Quote) Ann-875509 said: Last night I visited with someone who I have not talked to in over a year and she was encouraging t...
(Quote) Ann-875509 said:

Last night I visited with someone who I have not talked to in over a year and she was encouraging to take the Spiritual Life courses offered by our diocese with hopefully becoming a Spiritual Director. So I wondered if anyone on CM had ever taken such courses or has become or knows of someone who is a Spiritual Director who is not a priest or nun?

--hide--

There are graduate school degrees and (maybe certificate programs) at Catholic Universities. I don't know what SpiritualLlife courses are, but lay people can become spiritual directors. It requires a fair amount of education and training usually including an internship as the spiritual director is in a very influential position regarding the spiritual lives of someone he/she counsels.

09/28/2012 new

Thanks, Daniel, for the info. I would like to see what other dioceses offer first as I have questions about some of the things that are being taught here.

09/28/2012 new

I knew that here it is a two year course but it is taught at a convent in the diocese with multiple other faiths being a part of the dynamics of the participants. I guess that what I am wanting to make sure about is how appropriate this would be or if such programs are just ecumenical in origin. I just figured that in order to be a spiritual director that you must be well versed and taught in the Catholic faith and not have the influences of other denominations entering into that education.

In all actuality, what concerns me the most here is that I hear that there are New Age ideas being promoted, like eneagrams, which from what I have read from Fr. Pacwa is just asking for trouble and inviting the devil in. Not for me then. So I just need to talk to other people who do this. Thanks for your help, Patricia. I just have more questions than answers right now.

09/28/2012 new

(Quote) Ann-875509 said: I knew that here it is a two year course but it is taught at a convent in the diocese with multiple...
(Quote) Ann-875509 said:

I knew that here it is a two year course but it is taught at a convent in the diocese with multiple other faiths being a part of the dynamics of the participants. I guess that what I am wanting to make sure about is how appropriate this would be or if such programs are just ecumenical in origin. I just figured that in order to be a spiritual director that you must be well versed and taught in the Catholic faith and not have the influences of other denominations entering into that education.

In all actuality, what concerns me the most here is that I hear that there are New Age ideas being promoted, like eneagrams, which from what I have read from Fr. Pacwa is just asking for trouble and inviting the devil in. Not for me then. So I just need to talk to other people who do this. Thanks for your help, Patricia. I just have more questions than answers right now.

--hide--

Ann, I think you are wise to be very cautious. While one can hope the multi-faith groups are teaching the others the fundamentals of our faith, more often than not they dumb-down the teachings to appease the lowest common denominator. I have a friend who is affiliated with a Benedictine oblate group that is like that, and it's very confusing for them.

While I hate to have to say this, the affiliation with a convent is another bright yellow flag. The orthodox orders of nuns tend not to get into the spiritual direction/pastoral administration type activities, and the nuns that do these things tend to be at the liberal end of the scale. The second paragraph seems to lend credence to this concern.

09/28/2012 new

(Quote) Ann-875509 said: I knew that here it is a two year course but it is taught at a convent in the diocese with multiple...
(Quote) Ann-875509 said:

--hide--

Keep searching this out. Maybe the right door will open.

09/29/2012 new

(Quote) Ann-875509 said: Last night I visited with someone who I have not talked to in over a year and she was encouraging t...
(Quote) Ann-875509 said:

--hide--

What I understand is, that you want to become a Spiritual Director. As Ray was pointing out you do good to be careful even when courses are offered by your Diocese.

Bevor giving spiritual direction it would be good to self have a Spiritual Director. This might be helpful:

rcspiritualdirection.com

Posts 1 - 10 of 10