Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion on entertainment, movies, television, jokes or light-hearted topics. Please keep discussion clean and appropriate for a Catholic site.

Saint Vitus is the patron saint of actors, comedians, dancers, and of entertainers in general.
Learn More:Saint Vitus

09/27/2012 new

(Quote) Brian-252799 said: WitchyFrankenstein or Dracula?
(Quote) Brian-252799 said:

Witchy
Frankenstein or Dracula?

--hide--

Frankenstein shocked

Better non-scary Halloween costume?: Bunny! or hellokitty

09/27/2012 new

(Quote) Michael-76823 said: Frankenstein Better non-scary Halloween costume?: or
(Quote) Michael-76823 said:

Frankenstein

Better non-scary Halloween costume?: or

--hide--

Bunny!

pointy teeth or square teeth

09/28/2012 new

(Quote) Debbie-443016 said: (Quote) Michael-76823 said: Frankenstein Better non-s...
(Quote) Debbie-443016 said:

Quote:
Michael-76823 said:

Frankenstein

--hide--

Monster Mash or Ghostbusters

09/28/2012 new

(Quote) Brian-252799 said: Haloween is coming. Goblins or Ghosts?

Haloween is coming.
Goblins or Ghosts?

--hide--

This is NOT a Catholic holiday, and none of us should engage in it. It might be hard to stnad alone, but I would rather be skinned than to participate in it. Furthermore, I strongly believe that the Cathlics participating send out the wrong message to the non Catholics, or the weak ones.

And to take children along? What are they being taught? Would then they be expected NOT to participate in satanic rituals or such as they grow older? Wear innapropriate clothing? Hey, I got a piercing and a tattoo at 45, so I'm no prude... but all done with good taste and respect is OK.

It's just like a lie... There are no such things as "white lies".

I owned a preeschool and adamantly said: no. Kids were welcomed to dress up for All Saints day in appropriate costumes.

I did not let my kids participate in it. Eventhough my ex "shared" these values (we were in the NeoCathecumenate for 14 years), as soon as we separated, he let them celebrate it. I might have been the ogre, but I'm sure that teaching by example was much more important, and will help them out later on.

(Jerry... are U there? Your take on it, please???)

09/28/2012 new

(Quote) Mari-894290 said: This is NOT a Catholic holiday, and none of us should engage in it. It might be hard ...
(Quote) Mari-894290 said:

This is NOT a Catholic holiday, and none of us should engage in it. It might be hard to stnad alone, but I would rather be skinned than to participate in it. Furthermore, I strongly believe that the Cathlics participating send out the wrong message to the non Catholics, or the weak ones.

And to take children along? What are they being taught? Would then they be expected NOT to participate in satanic rituals or such as they grow older? Wear innapropriate clothing? Hey, I got a piercing and a tattoo at 45, so I'm no prude... but all done with good taste and respect is OK.

I owned a preeschool and adamantly said: no. Kids were welcomed to dress up for All Saints day in appropriate costumes.

I did not let my kids participate in it. Eventhough my ex "shared" these values (we were in the NeoCathecumenate for 14 years), as soon as we separated, he let them celebrate it. I might have been the ogre, but I'm sure that teaching by example was much more important, and will help them out later on.

--hide--

Mari, I just did some research on the net, and I can't find any official position of the Catholic Church on celebrating Halloween. In fact, the name of the holiday originated in the Catholic Church - it is a contraction of All Hallow's Eve. As a child in a Catholic grade school, it was one of the biggest holidays (outside of Christmas and Easter) celebrated by the Catholic primary school with a huge evening party attended by adults and children in costume with fun events such as dunking for apples, cake walks, haunted house, etc. There was absolutely no harm to it and the pastor and sisters were all there enjoying it with the rest of us. Now, that was in the late 50's and early 60's, so perhaps things have changed. But, I cannot find any legitimate reference from the Church hierarchy saying that Catholics should not participate in Halloween activities. If you have one, please post it here.

09/28/2012 new

(Quote) Patricia-29176 said: Mari, I just did some research on the net, and I can't find any official position o...
(Quote) Patricia-29176 said:

Mari, I just did some research on the net, and I can't find any official position of the Catholic Church on celebrating Halloween. In fact, the name of the holiday originated in the Catholic Church - it is a contraction of All Hallow's Eve. As a child in a Catholic grade school, it was one of the biggest holidays (outside of Christmas and Easter) celebrated by the Catholic primary school with a huge evening party attended by adults and children in costume with fun events such as dunking for apples, cake walks, haunted house, etc. There was absolutely no harm to it and the pastor and sisters were all there enjoying it with the rest of us. Now, that was in the late 50's and early 60's, so perhaps things have changed. But, I cannot find any legitimate reference from the Church hierarchy saying that Catholics should not participate in Halloween activities. If you have one, please post it here.

--hide--

Oh, yes... I did all the research needed. The Mexicans do have a wonderful tradition on that date.

Just like the pagan (will not capitalize) festivals were "Christianized" as the Gospel was spreading, so are our HOLY-days being paganized. Just to give one example, I propose to look at Christmass.

That is why we must be extra vigilant of our traditions, and of our little ones' souls. After all, children are entrusted to us, they do not belong to us.

Thanks for the reply!!! hug

09/28/2012 new

(Quote) Mari-894290 said: This is NOT a Catholic holiday, and none of us should engage in it. It might be hard to stnad ...
(Quote) Mari-894290 said:

--hide--

Here's a pretty good article that may be of some help:

www.americancatholic.org

09/28/2012 new

(Quote) Jerry-74383 said: Here's a pretty good article that may be of some help: http://www.americancath...
(Quote) Jerry-74383 said:

Here's a pretty good article that may be of some help:

www.americancatholic.org

--hide--

Thanks, Jerry.

All Hollows Eve, if used to spread the Gospel and instruct others, is a wonderful tool. Paganized Halloween is not amusing to me.

By "volleing" posts, we learn and grow.

Bless you all,

Mari

09/28/2012 new

(Quote) Elizabeth-114955 said: (Quote) Debbie-443016 said: (Quote) Michael-76823 said:
(Quote) Elizabeth-114955 said:

Quote:
Debbie-443016 said:

[quote]Michael-76823 said:

Frankenstein

--hide--

Monster Mash note shocked
The Mummy or The Invisible Man? scratchchin

09/28/2012 new

(Quote) Brian-252799 said: Monster Mash or Ghostbusters Monster Mash The Mummy or The Invisible...

Monster Mash
The Mummy or The Invisible Man?

--hide--

The Invisible Man

Werewolves of London or Bad Moon Rising

Posts 21 - 30 of 181