Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion related to learning about the faith (Catechetics), defense of the Faith (Apologetics), the Liturgy and canon law, motivated by a desire to grow closer to Christ or to bring someone else closer.

Saint Augustine of Hippo is considered on of the greatest Christian thinkers of all time and the Doctor of the Church.
Learn More: Saint Augustine

Church life in your parish

Sep 30th 2012 new

Is the church life in your parish “enough” for you? Is it giving you enough spiritual deepness?

If yes: what makes it so special for you?

If no: what are you missing?

Maybe you want to share your experiences theheart Praying .

Thank you!

Sep 30th 2012 new

(Quote) Andrea-850967 said: Is the church life in your parish “enough” for you? Is it giving you enough spiritua...
(Quote) Andrea-850967 said:

Is the church life in your parish “enough” for you? Is it giving you enough spiritual deepness?

Maybe you want to share your experiences .

Thank you!

--hide--
"You reap what you sow....."

Church life is NOT enough for anyone. We're expected to carry our Faith beyond Church boundaries -- practice it in real, everyday life -- being examples of what Christianity is all about. We can't get enough knowledge of our Faith or grow in understanding by just attending Mass and listening to homilies. There's much more knowledge to be gained from reliable outside sources. Fortunately, those opportunities are there for everyone's style. This would include workshops, lectures, Bible study groups, Catholic radio (Relevant Radio if it's in your area), reading of Catholic literature, books, magazines, and so on.

The Church provides a starting point for us. It's up to us to carry on from there. Coming up is the Year of Evangelization. We're all called upon to "evangelize" which is widely misinterpreted. Our calling is to set personal examples and live a life that makes others wonder what makes us live as we do. What sets us apart? Do people realize that being Catholic represents the foundation of our way of everyday living? Are we identifiable as Catholics?

Volunteering is an excellent way to show our commitment to our Faith. Sometimes, it's a matter of helping specific individuals directly; most of us do at least some of that at times. There is a countless number of organizations, many of them faith-based, that cry out for our help. Do we offer our talents and gifts? Whether it be folding newsletters or leading a group, all of this is necessary to spread the Good News.

The Church encourages us to become involved in charitable, and/or religious activities. It's up to us to share the burden of carrying the Cross. Jesus made that our responsibility after He physicall left earth.

How well are we responding to his call?

Sep 30th 2012 new

No, it's not enough for me. I view all my activities as an extension of my faith, so when I do my job, dance, or play ultimate, I am engaging in God's plan for me. To be the best and enjoy teh best f those activities I need to go outside my parish.

Actually, I attend a different parish than the one that I am registered at (the one I attend has asked that I get a letter from my other parish stating it's ok to switch, and I've been too lazy to do it embarassed rolling eyes )

Sep 30th 2012 new

(Quote) Ray-566531 said: "You reap what you sow....." Church life is NOT enough for anyone. We're expec...
(Quote) Ray-566531 said:

"You reap what you sow....."

Church life is NOT enough for anyone. We're expected to carry our Faith beyond Church boundaries -- practice it in real, everyday life -- being examples of what Christianity is all about. We can't get enough knowledge of our Faith or grow in understanding by just attending Mass and listening to homilies. There's much more knowledge to be gained from reliable outside sources. Fortunately, those opportunities are there for everyone's style. This would include workshops, lectures, Bible study groups, Catholic radio (Relevant Radio if it's in your area), reading of Catholic literature, books, magazines, and so on.

The Church provides a starting point for us. It's up to us to carry on from there. Coming up is the Year of Evangelization. We're all called upon to "evangelize" which is widely misinterpreted. Our calling is to set personal examples and live a life that makes others wonder what makes us live as we do. What sets us apart? Do people realize that being Catholic represents the foundation of our way of everyday living? Are we identifiable as Catholics?

Volunteering is an excellent way to show our commitment to our Faith. Sometimes, it's a matter of helping specific individuals directly; most of us do at least some of that at times. There is a countless number of organizations, many of them faith-based, that cry out for our help. Do we offer our talents and gifts? Whether it be folding newsletters or leading a group, all of this is necessary to spread the Good News.

The Church encourages us to become involved in charitable, and/or religious activities. It's up to us to share the burden of carrying the Cross. Jesus made that our responsibility after He physicall left earth.

How well are we responding to his call?

--hide--

... and to sow you need the seeds in your hand, one can't seed with empty hands.

The same counts for the LOVE. Only if we are filled with love we spread love, otherwise all activities will not be more than actionism (don't know if that is the right word in English).

So my question was: is the church life in your parish giving you enough spiritual deepness to grow in your faith. For me the parish life is deffinetly NOT enough, it never was.

Sep 30th 2012 new

(Quote) Andrea-850967 said: ... and to sow you need the seeds in your hand, one can't seed with empty ...

... and to sow you need the seeds in your hand, one can't seed with empty hands.

The same counts for the LOVE. Only if we are filled with love we spread love, otherwise all activities will not be more than actionism (don't know if that is the right word in English).

So my question was: is the church life in your parish giving you enough spiritual deepness to grow in your faith. For me the parish life is deffinetly NOT enough, it never was.

--hide--
Consider the difference between spiritual depth (or deepness, as you call it) and spiritual desire. People typically do not derive all of the depth necessary for an adequate knowledge of the Catholic Faith. That's why Churches offer many programs, retreats, classes and so on, so that we can acquire this knowledge. The Church isn't the only source of spiritual teaching. In the beginning it's a parental responsibility, and that remains permanently. It's an obligation of parenthood, which any parent should gladly accept. From school age on, the responsibility can be shared -- the Church, Catholic schools, Catholic programs, and so on.

The deeper our spiritual growth becomes, the more passionate our desire to take this spirituality into the world.

Our parish doesn't have the means to accomodate every possible spiritual need, but reaches out as much as possible to include as many as possible. The parish can also guide people to other sources; indeed, ours does so.

Love? Well, that can't be taught. We have to learn that for ourselves, but can see its outpouring in families and in Churches. Our own attitude has a great influence on others, even though we don't truly realize it.

Actions (or actionism as you call it) can still be beneficial, even if a person (the actor) is completely faith-neutral or even an atheist. Granted, the spiritual depth adds another dimension to good deeds, but we will still encourage ALL to participate in making their tiny corner of the world a better place. We won't belittle the spiritless actions of others. If they are accomplishing some good, we're better off for it. Obviously, it's more meaningful if we're doing the Lord's work and His will.

Sep 30th 2012 new

(Quote) Ray-566531 said: Consider the difference between spiritual depth (or deepness, as you call it) and spiritual desire....
(Quote) Ray-566531 said:

Consider the difference between spiritual depth (or deepness, as you call it) and spiritual desire. People typically do not derive all of the depth necessary for an adequate knowledge of the Catholic Faith. That's why Churches offer many programs, retreats, classes and so on, so that we can acquire this knowledge. The Church isn't the only source of spiritual teaching. In the beginning it's a parental responsibility, and that remains permanently. It's an obligation of parenthood, which any parent should gladly accept. From school age on, the responsibility can be shared -- the Church, Catholic schools, Catholic programs, and so on.

The deeper our spiritual growth becomes, the more passionate our desire to take this spirituality into the world.

Our parish doesn't have the means to accomodate every possible spiritual need, but reaches out as much as possible to include as many as possible. The parish can also guide people to other sources; indeed, ours does so.

Love? Well, that can't be taught. We have to learn that for ourselves, but can see its outpouring in families and in Churches. Our own attitude has a great influence on others, even though we don't truly realize it.

Actions (or actionism as you call it) can still be beneficial, even if a person (the actor) is completely faith-neutral or even an atheist. Granted, the spiritual depth adds another dimension to good deeds, but we will still encourage ALL to participate in making their tiny corner of the world a better place. We won't belittle the spiritless actions of others. If they are accomplishing some good, we're better off for it. Obviously, it's more meaningful if we're doing the Lord's work and His will.

--hide--

I agree Ray, there are many many good people in this world, regardless if faith-neutral, atheist or whatever, people who all do many good things. But we need to be more than just “good people”.

Sep 30th 2012 new

A couple of years ago a priest gave me the following book which I like to recommend. It explains very beautifully the apostolic work with its fruits and success combined with the interior life. Maybe some of the CM members have read this one: The Soul of the Apostolate by Dom J.B. Chautard

www.amazon.com

Sep 30th 2012 new

(Quote) Andrea-850967 said: Is the church life in your parish “enough” for you? Is it giving you enough spiritua...

Thank you!

--hide--

ABSOLUTELY!!

My parish offers so much....for seniors, the homebound, singles, married with/without children, children, teens, during mass/after mass, on weekends, and on and on and on.

I was going to start listing all the ways one could get involved and/or ways to deepen one's faith, but it would take so long to list everything. If you feel compelled, take a look at stmaryhuntley.org

One of the reasons I would want to stay in the Huntley area is because of the vibrancy of my parish. Right now, as a single mom, most of what I get involved in is via my own children. They've attended the youth ministry programs which have included giving them knowledge about their faith, as well as doing service work. My kids have gone on many mission trips, cooked in soup kitchens, attended Steubenville, as well as attended the March for Life. My time devoted to parenting is taking a turn in that I will someday have more time to pursue joining a ministry for myself, but for now, knowing what rock, solid support I have at St. Mary's for myself as a mom, and especially for my kids, makes me so very grateful that I moved here.

Ok, not that I am a professional recruiter for this area, but if there is anyone reading this who wants to move themselves to a family-orientated community, Huntley is a good choice. The church is wonderful. The schools are fantastic! And that's coming from a veteran teacher, who does not work in the district.

Sep 30th 2012 new

Thank you!

--hide--

Hi Andrea, I don't have much of a parish life. I go to daily mass at a Cathedral next to my work...but I admit I hardly ever to go Sunday mass. duck duck
I just don't feel like I fit in anywhere. I like daily noon mass because it is just people going from work to hear mass...and not a big ordeal. I don't have a family, so I am not into the whole big family seen. I discover the Catholic faith through watching EWTN on accident...so that is how I get most of my connection, even still. I have also been on retreat once. I am trying to get myself over to San Francisco to a certain parish recommended to me that has more activities for singles. I am not technically Catholic yet, I do not take communion, so I feel out of place very easily.

Oct 1st 2012 new

I'm with Wendy on this. I have an absolutely amazing parish. After making poor choices for a bunch of years, I made a decision to limit my personal corner of the world by only spending time outside of work and school with those that love God first and serve Him. The bulk of that time is spent at my church. The daily homilies have a greater depth than those on Sunday and I miss it terribly during the school semester. There are tons of things going on for all age groups. We are also closely affiliated through our priest's order (Adorno) to an immense parish in the next town, which picks up where we leave off. As a military brat, it's hard to say that you have a real hometown. I moved here seven years ago and I do have a home now.

I have been told repeatedly that I go to an extremely unusual church. Most churches are not quite as close, at least none of the ones I attended in other places. We currently have a fluctuating group for fellowship after Saturday vigil at the local ice cream shop. It sounds like a simple thing, but the community taking care of each other is something we all chip in to do. Our parish mission statement is, "Growing in Christ, as stewards of His graces, we lead our fellow man to Him." Everyone takes it really seriously. For all of us, our parish life spills over into everything else. We can't help live our faith, share our faith with others.

This parish has helped me embrace service, pointed me towards a ministry that I have been active in for close to two years, and provided the support I have needed since my exhusband left. Their belief and strength rubbed off and allowed me to find my own to reach out to others. We all serve each other in our daily lives. We know who needs and make sure those needs are met. My grandson is growing up without a father. The men in my parish, bar none, all reach out to him, include him in 'guy' stuff and generally make themselves available.

OK - rant over. Sometimes blessings go beyond anything we can imagine. That is exactly what I have been shown in my church community. heart

Posts 1 - 10 of 14