Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

Hi Everyone.

I am interested in finding out how people who have been raised Catholic feel about dating converts to Catholicism. Do "cradle catholics" only want to date each other? Why or why not? I am currently in the process of going through RCIA after developing a deep intimate faith in Christ in various Protestant traditions over the last 20 years. Consequently, I have a vested interest in this question, especially because it seems to me there are very few converts on this site! biggrin

In the last five months I've dived in deep, reading much and listening to over 100 hours of Catholic teaching cds as a means of "catching up." I have been most surprised to hear many tell me that often converts end up knowing more about Catholicism than many cradle catholics. I don't know if this, in fact, is or is not statistically true. If so, does this make a difference in the dating world? Or would dating be more impacted by differences in the aculturation that happens by growing up Catholic (if that makes sense)?

Thanks in advance for sharing your thoughts! I look forward to learning from you all. wave

Robyn

Oct 2nd 2012 new

(Quote) Robyn-861417 said: Hi Everyone. I am interested in finding out how people who have been raised Catholic feel...
(Quote) Robyn-861417 said:

Hi Everyone.

I am interested in finding out how people who have been raised Catholic feel about dating converts to Catholicism. Do "cradle catholics" only want to date each other? Why or why not? I am currently in the process of going through RCIA after developing a deep intimate faith in Christ in various Protestant traditions over the last 20 years. Consequently, I have a vested interest in this question, especially because it seems to me there are very few converts on this site!

In the last five months I've dived in deep, reading much and listening to over 100 hours of Catholic teaching cds as a means of "catching up." I have been most surprised to hear many tell me that often converts end up knowing more about Catholicism than many cradle catholics. I don't know if this, in fact, is or is not statistically true. If so, does this make a difference in the dating world? Or would dating be more impacted by differences in the aculturation that happens by growing up Catholic (if that makes sense)?

Thanks in advance for sharing your thoughts! I look forward to learning from you all.

Robyn

--hide--
Greetings, Robyn -- You're one of the few people that gets more than one welcome for her first post.

We certainly welcome you to the CM forums. There's a wealth of knowledge, wisdom, sharing of experiences, and humor to be found here. Hope you will visit us often.

More importantly, we welcome you to the RCIA program, and your goal of joining the Catholic Faith. None of us will ever know everything about the Church, God and everything connected, but we do continue learning. You've been developing a deep faith for several years, and have continued to seek the truth.

Your question is certainly valid. There has been a lack of adequate catechesis among the "cradle Catholics". Another consideration is that a lot of what was learned has been forgotten. Attending Mass alone isn't enough to keep up our Faith skills. People who are coming to the Church from other faith groups devote time to learning and have enthusiasm about their newly found spiritual journey. There's an excitement about it that makes people want to learn all they can.

I would think that a "cradle Catholic" would be beneficial -- you could teach that person a lot. Well, just kidding a little bit, but it is possible. It might awaken the other person's sense of spirituality. If you would date a person knowledgeable about the Faith, he could probably help you with lingering questions you might have.

It seems like it would be an excellent opportunity to share your views and experiences -- great for long conversations. There shouldn't be any bias toward you -- it should actually work in your favor.

Blessings upon your spiritual undertaking, and for successful dating.

Oct 2nd 2012 new
(Quote) Robyn-861417 said: Hi Everyone. I am interested in finding out how people who have been raised Catholic feel about dating...

Hi Everyone.

I am interested in finding out how people who have been raised Catholic feel about dating converts to Catholicism. Do "cradle catholics" only want to date each other? Why or why not? I am currently in the process of going through RCIA after developing a deep intimate faith in Christ in various Protestant traditions over the last 20 years. Consequently, I have a vested interest in this question, especially because it seems to me there are very few converts on this site!

Thanks in advance for sharing your thoughts! I look forward to learning from you all.

Robyn

--hide--

Great question! I will be watching this thread!!
Oct 2nd 2012 new

(Quote) Robyn-861417 said: Hi Everyone. I am interested in finding out how people who have been raised Catholic feel...

Hi Everyone.

Robyn

--hide--
Welcome home to the Catholc Church Robyn and also welcome to the forums. As Ray said, there is a lot of good you can learn from this site and I would think any man would welcome you home to the faith and I would not see an opsticle in that area.

Oct 2nd 2012 new

Hi Everyone.

Robyn

--hide--

Why would a cradle Catholic be wary of a convert? If anything we'd know that the person who converts for reasons other than to please a prospective spouse is someone who'll take the faith seriously. If anything, voluntary convert status is a BIG plus.

The word "Catholic" means universal. We're not tied to any one ethnicity like some of the Orthodox or like many non-Christian faiths. So why would we not want a convert?

Oct 2nd 2012 new

I totally love converts! They are so awesome. I love to hear their stories of how they came to want the church. Listen closely and you will always see, hear and feel the Holy Spirit personally coming to someone; calling her, and bringing her to the security, fun, light and love of the church Jesus himself founded. Convert girls rock!

Of course, cradle Catholics have their own conversion stories and have the foundation of a Catholic culture from birth. This gives cradle Catholics a lot in common.

Yet if a cradle Catholic wants to see the riches of the church with fresh eyes he or she can receive wonderful conversion graces anew when with a convert-Catholic. And be a help too. And learn or seek out things he or she should know but never thought about. Converts ask fascinating and insightful questions.

I often think that a convert to the church is an heir to the original converts way, way back. Whereas I, a cradle catholic, am an heir to to an heir to an heir to an heir to an heir stretching back centuries. Is one better than the other? I think not. But a convert can be darn proud of herself. The Holy Spirit called and she answered! Or he. How cool is that?

A really good idea, I believe, for a new Catholic (and for the cradle-folk too) is to read through the catechism. Hardin's is actually a good read. Interesting. I always learn something. We have all read longer and more boring books. Just do twenty minutes a night, or try just twenty minutes, as you might go a good bit longer. And you can look up the answers to questions that occurr. No matter how good your RCIA might be it is still not going to be as thorough as the catechism. It should be the first resource for all of us.

Well, my two cents.

biggrin

NC Jim

Oct 2nd 2012 new

It sounds like we're all in agreement. There is no reason to think it should make any difference. There may not be a great deal of converts, but what I have noticed are many of us who sstepped away from the church for many years and then returned.

I found when I came back, and started taking my grandson to church, I could not answer many of his seemingly simple questions. I CLEARLY remember the days of the nuns answering, "because the church says so" or "that is where we rely on faith" rather than any type of adequate answers. Trying to be a good Nene, I jumped into a RCIA class and was invited to the Neophytes class a few weeks later. I learned more about the founding and early years of the church than I ever had growing up.

Converts are awesome in helping we cradle catholics dig deeper into our church, our faith, and ultimately our relationship with God. What more could we ask for? Great question and welcome! heart

Oct 2nd 2012 new

Holy CM Flashbacks, Batman!

Good to see you again, Jim.

Oct 2nd 2012 new

NC Jim has returned !!! Go NC Jim Go !!!!!

Oct 2nd 2012 new

Nice to see you Jim!

Posts 1 - 10 of 111