Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

10/02/2012 new

(Quote) Ray-566531 said: (Quote) Robyn-861417 said: Hi Everyone. I am interested in finding o...
(Quote) Ray-566531 said:

Quote:
Robyn-861417 said:

Hi Everyone.

I am interested in finding out how people who have been raised Catholic feel about dating converts to Catholicism. Do "cradle catholics" only want to date each other? Why or why not? I am currently in the process of going through RCIA after developing a deep intimate faith in Christ in various Protestant traditions over the last 20 years. Consequently, I have a vested interest in this question, especially because it seems to me there are very few converts on this site!

In the last five months I've dived in deep, reading much and listening to over 100 hours of Catholic teaching cds as a means of "catching up." I have been most surprised to hear many tell me that often converts end up knowing more about Catholicism than many cradle catholics. I don't know if this, in fact, is or is not statistically true. If so, does this make a difference in the dating world? Or would dating be more impacted by differences in the aculturation that happens by growing up Catholic (if that makes sense)?

Thanks in advance for sharing your thoughts! I look forward to learning from you all.

Robyn

Greetings, Robyn -- You're one of the few people that gets more than one welcome for her first post.

We certainly welcome you to the CM forums. There's a wealth of knowledge, wisdom, sharing of experiences, and humor to be found here. Hope you will visit us often.

More importantly, we welcome you to the RCIA program, and your goal of joining the Catholic Faith. None of us will ever know everything about the Church, God and everything connected, but we do continue learning. You've been developing a deep faith for several years, and have continued to seek the truth.

Your question is certainly valid. There has been a lack of adequate catechesis among the "cradle Catholics". Another consideration is that a lot of what was learned has been forgotten. Attending Mass alone isn't enough to keep up our Faith skills. People who are coming to the Church from other faith groups devote time to learning and have enthusiasm about their newly found spiritual journey. There's an excitement about it that makes people want to learn all they can.

I would think that a "cradle Catholic" would be beneficial -- you could teach that person a lot. Well, just kidding a little bit, but it is possible. It might awaken the other person's sense of spirituality. If you would date a person knowledgeable about the Faith, he could probably help you with lingering questions you might have.

It seems like it would be an excellent opportunity to share your views and experiences -- great for long conversations. There shouldn't be any bias toward you -- it should actually work in your favor.

Blessings upon your spiritual undertaking, and for successful dating.

--hide--

I agree with Ray: if the cradle Catholic is serious about their faith, or wants to become more serious about the faith, there should be no problem at all.

There can be problems when the cradle Catholic doesn't want to be bothered with the details and finds the cradle Catholic to be "too Catholic" (which, of course, is not the real problem).

10/02/2012 new
(Quote) Robyn-861417 said: Hi Everyone. I am interested in finding out how people who have been raised Catholic feel about dating...
(Quote) Robyn-861417 said:

Hi Everyone.

I am interested in finding out how people who have been raised Catholic feel about dating converts to Catholicism. Do "cradle catholics" only want to date each other? Why or why not? I am currently in the process of going through RCIA after developing a deep intimate faith in Christ in various Protestant traditions over the last 20 years. Consequently, I have a vested interest in this question, especially because it seems to me there are very few converts on this site!

In the last five months I've dived in deep, reading much and listening to over 100 hours of Catholic teaching cds as a means of "catching up." I have been most surprised to hear many tell me that often converts end up knowing more about Catholicism than many cradle catholics. I don't know if this, in fact, is or is not statistically true. If so, does this make a difference in the dating world? Or would dating be more impacted by differences in the aculturation that happens by growing up Catholic (if that makes sense)?

Thanks in advance for sharing your thoughts! I look forward to learning from you all.

Robyn

--hide--

Growing up Catholic, I think I took it for granted until I lived in North Carolina for three years and was forced to learn the truths of my faith at a deeper level so I could stand toe to toe with the Bible Belt Protestants who constantly assaulted my Catholicism, the pope, the Church, "statues as idols", "worshiping Mary", etc. I needed to learn about my faith at a deeper level than that at which I was taught in Catholic schools, or I would find myself at the crossroads of a decision to leave the Church. I found that investigating the truths of our faith made me stronger in the faith, and I made the choice to remain Catholic in spite of pressures from others to convert me to their "brand" of protestant Christianity.

For converts, you also came to this crossroads and you made the same choice I did, and for the same reasons, but your decision was more difficult because you needed to make a change from wherever it was that you came from and enter into the Catholic Church. I respect the decision that you have made and feel it is the right one.

As for dating converts, it is welcomed. Converts have a deeper understanding of the Catholic faith than most cradle Catholics, in general, because they have been through RCIA, and especially if they have been through RCIA as adults, and made the choice on their own.

I have never heard any discussion of cradle Catholics seeing converts to the faith as being any different, and certainly not any less, than cradle Catholics.
10/02/2012 new

Thanks Jerry. Older and wiser and a great deal humbler -- I return. I had the most wonderful relationship but it did the long distance fizzle. Three years next month. Wonderful woman. Ouch. Just hanging out here now. See you in the cave.

NC Jim

10/02/2012 new

Thank you Marian. Nice to see you too!

But what do you think of the convert question as pertains to the men you have met? I am interested in a woman's perspective. It has been all positive for me.

NC Jim

10/02/2012 new

Hi Bob! I would love to "go"! Alas, apparently I am to stay. Not much heart at the moment. I must work on my air of tragic manliness and milk that for as long as I can! Oops, did I say that out loud? Nah, will just say my prayers and see what God does with my situation. I imagine there is a large synod in heaven at this very minute over the "NC Jim Question". (Yes, I am that important. Heh heh)

How about you? Any convert girls in your past? You rogue. I find these women so attractive (And, yes, you too cradle girls) that I have been known to say, "I reform Lord! And this time I mean it!"

eyepopping

NC Jim

10/02/2012 new

(Quote) Jim-149694 said: Thank you Marian. Nice to see you too! But what do you think of the convert question as pert...
(Quote) Jim-149694 said:

Thank you Marian. Nice to see you too!

But what do you think of the convert question as pertains to the men you have met? I am interested in a woman's perspective. It has been all positive for me.

NC Jim

--hide--

I think it would be wonderful to date a convert. It would help me learn another perspective and I think it would be interesting. I would also learn up to date teaching. It is not a problem.

10/02/2012 new

(Quote) Jim-149694 said: Thanks Jerry. Older and wiser and a great deal humbler -- I return. I had the most wonderful relati...
(Quote) Jim-149694 said:

Thanks Jerry. Older and wiser and a great deal humbler -- I return. I had the most wonderful relationship but it did the long distance fizzle. Three years next month. Wonderful woman. Ouch. Just hanging out here now. See you in the cave.

NC Jim

--hide--

Long distance fizzle? I am sorry. (It sounds like a new dance.)

10/02/2012 new

(Quote) Robyn-861417 said: Hi Everyone. I am interested in finding out how people who have been raised Catholic feel...
(Quote) Robyn-861417 said:

Hi Everyone.

Robyn

--hide--

Hi Robyn!

I'm a "cradle Catholic" who would have no issues whatsoever dating a convert. In fact, many converts I know are very devout and express their faith in more ways than some "cradle Catholics" I know. My first cousin and her husband converted to Catholicism (from non-practicing Protestantism) shortly after the birth of their first child 7 years ago. Watching them grow in their faith and praying with their children (4 now with another on the way!) actually set off a spark in me to want to live out my faith better. They are great role models. As you, Robyn, are making a concsious choice to learn as much as you can about what it means to be Catholic, the history of the church and its traditions, I can't imagine any Catholic man--from the cradle or not-- holding that against you! In fact, I'd invite it!

God bless and good luck on your spiritual journey!

Lydia

10/02/2012 new

I've dated non-Catholics, so I don't believe it matters. A person would have to be a real prude to not date someone because they were not born into a Catholic family.

10/02/2012 new

(Quote) Lydia-889871 said: (Quote) Robyn-861417 said: Hi Everyone. I am interested in finding...
(Quote) Lydia-889871 said:

Quote:
Robyn-861417 said:

Hi Everyone.

Robyn

Hi Robyn!

I'm a "cradle Catholic" who would have no issues whatsoever dating a convert. In fact, many converts I know are very devout and express their faith in more ways than some "cradle Catholics" I know. My first cousin and her husband converted to Catholicism (from non-practicing Protestantism) shortly after the birth of their first child 7 years ago. Watching them grow in their faith and praying with their children (4 now with another on the way!) actually set off a spark in me to want to live out my faith better. They are great role models. As you, Robyn, are making a concsious choice to learn as much as you can about what it means to be Catholic, the history of the church and its traditions, I can't imagine any Catholic man--from the cradle or not-- holding that against you! In fact, I'd invite it!

God bless and good luck on your spiritual journey!

Lydia

--hide--

I agree. It can be greatly motivating and encouraging to be around a convert. I have been and continue to learn a lot from converts.

Posts 11 - 20 of 111