Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

10/02/2012 new

No cradle Catholics do not only want to date each other. I would date a convert in a heartbeat.. heartbeat

10/02/2012 new

Robyn,

Welcome!!! hug hug

I agree with others on here too. I've run an RCIA programme at my home parish for the last few years now and the insights of those attending are real spiritual food. As a 'cradle catholic' I'd have no problem with dating a convert.

Hope you enjoy meeting people here biggrin

10/02/2012 new
eyepopping JIM!! Wow. Good to see you, Sir! Looking dapper in the cap, as I expect. Wishing you well. Thank you for joining us in the fora again. hug
10/02/2012 new
Hi Robin! wave I'm glad you are joining us-- in the Church and the CM fora.

I hope you or anyone else here misunderstands me or takes offense. I have the deepest respect for those who were not baptized as infants and have journeyed to the Church. I can't imagine having made those conversions and decisions on my own! It is a real testament to the power and love of the Holy Spirit. I find the stories of converts to be so inspiring.

That being said, I am going to be real honest in admitting that I have some hesitation about dating a convert-- at least a really recent one. I know that this is based in past experience and fear-- and it is not something I am willing to rule my life. But it is there. I had a very serious relationship with a man who went through the RCIA program while we were dating and talking marriage. Two months after his full reception in the Church he left the Church. It was the end of our relationship.

So what it really comes down to is that as along as the convert (or cradle Catholic) has his feet firmly entrenched in the faith-- that when the storms of life beat against us, he doesn't hightail it-- then I am fine. I see where this is my own fears, and not something that is fair to place on the shoulders of all converts. I'm trying. Basically the seed fell on bad ground in the past-- now I'm looking for good ground (convert or cradle) that has let the Good News taken root deep down in rich soil (not among thorns or hard ground).
10/02/2012 new

Robyn - Your question is a very interesting one - I think that cradle catholics can learn a great deal from protestants - I think that the inter-denominational relationships have challenges but they can also be quite rewarding - Hope you get some good feedback to your question from everyone and welcome to CM.

10/02/2012 new

(Quote) Greg-729474 said: Robyn - Your question is a very interesting one - I think that cradle catholics can learn a great ...
(Quote) Greg-729474 said:

Robyn - Your question is a very interesting one - I think that cradle catholics can learn a great deal from protestants - I think that the inter-denominational relationships have challenges but they can also be quite rewarding - Hope you get some good feedback to your question from everyone and welcome to CM.

--hide--

The problem is that they can also lose their faith, or at least the practice of their faith. Will this happen every time? No. But it's imperative that the Catholic have a good sense of the risks and what is at stake before entering into a relationship with non-Catholics, and most especially non-Christians. This is not to say the non-Catholics are not good people, but giving up one's faith for a good person is a very bad trade.

Make me realize, O my God! the nothingness of this world, the greatness of heaven the shortness of time, and the length of eternity.

Grant that I may prepare for death; that I may fear thy judgments, and in the end obtain heaven; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

catholocity.net

10/02/2012 new

(Quote) Dawn-58330 said: That being said, I am going to be real honest in admitting that I have some hesitation about datin...
(Quote) Dawn-58330 said:

That being said, I am going to be real honest in admitting that I have some hesitation about dating a convert-- at least a really recent one. I know that this is based in past experience and fear-- and it is not something I am willing to rule my life. But it is there. I had a very serious relationship with a man who went through the RCIA program while we were dating and talking marriage. Two months after his full reception in the Church he left the Church. It was the end of our relationship.

--hide--

Dawn, I'm curious... did he enter RCIA because of your relationship (or a prior relationship), or did he do so on his own?

10/02/2012 new

Good to see you Jim! (Kinda feel like an adopted kid who gets to come back to the orphanage weeping )

Cat wave

(Quote) Jim-149694 said: I totally love converts! They are so awesome. I love to hear their stories of how they came to want...
(Quote) Jim-149694 said:

I totally love converts! They are so awesome. I love to hear their stories of how they came to want the church. Listen closely and you will always see, hear and feel the Holy Spirit personally coming to someone; calling her, and bringing her to the security, fun, light and love of the church Jesus himself founded. Convert girls rock!

Of course, cradle Catholics have their own conversion stories and have the foundation of a Catholic culture from birth. This gives cradle Catholics a lot in common.

Yet if a cradle Catholic wants to see the riches of the church with fresh eyes he or she can receive wonderful conversion graces anew when with a convert-Catholic. And be a help too. And learn or seek out things he or she should know but never thought about. Converts ask fascinating and insightful questions.

I often think that a convert to the church is an heir to the original converts way, way back. Whereas I, a cradle catholic, am an heir to to an heir to an heir to an heir to an heir stretching back centuries. Is one better than the other? I think not. But a convert can be darn proud of herself. The Holy Spirit called and she answered! Or he. How cool is that?

A really good idea, I believe, for a new Catholic (and for the cradle-folk too) is to read through the catechism. Hardin's is actually a good read. Interesting. I always learn something. We have all read longer and more boring books. Just do twenty minutes a night, or try just twenty minutes, as you might go a good bit longer. And you can look up the answers to questions that occurr. No matter how good your RCIA might be it is still not going to be as thorough as the catechism. It should be the first resource for all of us.

Well, my two cents.

NC Jim

--hide--

10/02/2012 new

We cradle Catholics can learn a thing or two from converts. I also think every Catholic should take RCIA when they are adults. I did and I learned things that I either had forgotten, or didn't know and was going through the motions. As for dating converts, I would have no problem with that.

Cat

(Quote) Robyn-861417 said: Hi Everyone. I am interested in finding out how people who have been raised Catholic feel...
(Quote) Robyn-861417 said:

Hi Everyone.

I am interested in finding out how people who have been raised Catholic feel about dating converts to Catholicism. Do "cradle catholics" only want to date each other? Why or why not? I am currently in the process of going through RCIA after developing a deep intimate faith in Christ in various Protestant traditions over the last 20 years. Consequently, I have a vested interest in this question, especially because it seems to me there are very few converts on this site!

In the last five months I've dived in deep, reading much and listening to over 100 hours of Catholic teaching cds as a means of "catching up." I have been most surprised to hear many tell me that often converts end up knowing more about Catholicism than many cradle catholics. I don't know if this, in fact, is or is not statistically true. If so, does this make a difference in the dating world? Or would dating be more impacted by differences in the aculturation that happens by growing up Catholic (if that makes sense)?

Thanks in advance for sharing your thoughts! I look forward to learning from you all.

Robyn

--hide--

10/02/2012 new
(Quote) Jerry-74383 said: (Quote) Dawn-58330 said: That being said, I am going to be real honest in admitting that...
(Quote) Jerry-74383 said:

Quote:
Dawn-58330 said:

Dawn, I'm curious... did he enter RCIA because of your relationship (or a prior relationship), or did he do so on his own?

--hide--
Good question, Jerry. He was already in the RCIA program when we started dating. He had decided to become Catholic before we met.
Posts 21 - 30 of 111