Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

10/02/2012 new

www.usccb.org

10/02/2012 new

Converts bring such a fresh and new perspective to the Catholic Faith. I have walked beside several folks as a sponser in RCIA and caught their enthusiasm . And when the night of Holy Saturday arrives none of the new ones can keep their feet on the ground!! The cradle Catholics have a hard time as well!! It is a good thing to kepp on studying our Faith and going deeper into the richness that we have in our faith tradition. The Catechism is an excellant way to study as well as small groups or Bible studies in your parish.

Converts have a lot to teach us. I would have no problem at all dating a man that was coming into the Catholic Church.

10/02/2012 new

I think a convert is often a stronger Catholic because they had to research before accepting Catholicism. Those of us who were born a raised Catholic have never HAD to research it although the good ones do wink

I personally would date a convert. I could forsee that relationship bringing much me closer to God as I watched my partner learn more and more about my faith. And on the other side of the coin, my faith is very special to me and it would be so exciting to watch that person discover those truths I know and love and get to share that with them, opening a whole new world, like when you help a child to learn to read.

10/02/2012 new

Hi Robyn... I don't believe that it makes much difference whether one is a cradle Catholic, or a convert. Someone in this forum says that converts had to do research to become Catholics and I believe what matters is that they made the choice, which in some ways makes them a stronger Catholic, because they themselves made that choice, it wasn't made for them when they were born.

It doesn't make any difference to me whether a match is a convert or a cradle Catholic, so long as their faith and actions follow the teachings for the church. I probably understand a lot less the people in this site who have never been married, even if they're already in their 60's and older. Frankly, I don't expect anyone that hasn't been married to expect to understand what it is like to be with someone 24/7 and share their life so completely. I feel that I can relate better to someone that was married for as long as I was (35 years) and lost their loved one.

Anyhow, I am getting off the subject, which again, for me it doesn't make any difference whether someone is a convert or a cradle Catholic.

10/02/2012 new

Hi Cat, nice to see you again. biggrin

10/02/2012 new

Hey there Dawn. I think I'm mostly going to lurk this time around.

shhh

Jim

10/02/2012 new
(Quote) Jim-149694 said: Hey there Dawn. I think I'm mostly going to lurk this time around. Jim
(Quote) Jim-149694 said:

Hey there Dawn. I think I'm mostly going to lurk this time around.

Jim

--hide--

I'll be vary vary quiet while you are hunting.... Bunny!

wink
10/02/2012 new

I think it's most important that the Catholic I date/marry is a committed devout Catholic, cradle or convert!

10/02/2012 new

(Quote) Robyn-861417 said: Hi Everyone. I am interested in finding out how people who have been raised Catholic feel...
(Quote) Robyn-861417 said:

Hi Everyone.

I am interested in finding out how people who have been raised Catholic feel about dating converts to Catholicism. Do "cradle catholics" only want to date each other? Why or why not? I am currently in the process of going through RCIA after developing a deep intimate faith in Christ in various Protestant traditions over the last 20 years. Consequently, I have a vested interest in this question, especially because it seems to me there are very few converts on this site!

In the last five months I've dived in deep, reading much and listening to over 100 hours of Catholic teaching cds as a means of "catching up." I have been most surprised to hear many tell me that often converts end up knowing more about Catholicism than many cradle catholics. I don't know if this, in fact, is or is not statistically true. If so, does this make a difference in the dating world? Or would dating be more impacted by differences in the aculturation that happens by growing up Catholic (if that makes sense)?

Thanks in advance for sharing your thoughts! I look forward to learning from you all.

Robyn

--hide--

I don't draw any lines between cradle or convert. I find converts exciting because they came to the faith on fire with their love for Jesus and the church. They tend to have deeper perspectives on aspects of the faith that are familiar to those of us who were born and raised in the faith.

10/02/2012 new

(Quote) Jim-149694 said: A really good idea,..... is to read through the catechism. Hardin's is actually a good read. Interesti...
(Quote) Jim-149694 said: A really good idea,..... is to read through the catechism. Hardin's is actually a good read. Interesting. I always learn something. We have all read longer and more boring books. Just do twenty minutes a night, or try just twenty minutes, as you might go a good bit longer. And you can look up the answers to questions that occurr. No matter how good your RCIA might be it is still not going to be as thorough as the catechism. It should be the first resource for all of us.

Well, my two cents.

NC Jim

--hide--

Some of the founders and teachers at the Catechetical Institute I attended, St Paul Seminary, were converts. It was wonderful to have my own faith bolstered and challenged.

Luke 7:9 When Jesus heard these words he was astonished at him and, turning round, said to the crowd following him, 'I tell you, not even in Israel have I found faith as great as this.'

Posts 31 - 40 of 111