Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

Oct 2nd 2012 new
scratchchin My Mothers side of the family were not Catholic, My Grandma (her Mothers) advice to my Mom when she married my Dad 56 years ago was that "If she could learn about the Catholic Faith & agree with it's teaching she should join my Dad's Church". Ended up my Mother & one of her Brothers Became Catholic because the person they married was Catholic. I would prefer to date someone who is already Catholic since my ex who I am annulled from was not any religion when I met him & that did not end as well as I would have hoped but I do think I will leave it in the hands of God who I meet & date since "God Knows Best"..... angel angel wink
Oct 2nd 2012 new

Wow!!! Thanks everyone for your many warm welcomes into the Catholic Church as well as your thoughtful comments. I'll say more tomorrow when I have more time to respond to specific comments, but for now just wanted to say that I appreciated the enthusiasm. His Peace and Grace to each of you!

Oct 2nd 2012 new
(Quote) Robyn-861417 said: Hi Everyone. I am interested in finding out how people who have been raised Catholic feel about dating...
(Quote) Robyn-861417 said:

Hi Everyone.

I am interested in finding out how people who have been raised Catholic feel about dating converts to Catholicism. Do "cradle catholics" only want to date each other? Why or why not? I am currently in the process of going through RCIA after developing a deep intimate faith in Christ in various Protestant traditions over the last 20 years. Consequently, I have a vested interest in this question, especially because it seems to me there are very few converts on this site!

In the last five months I've dived in deep, reading much and listening to over 100 hours of Catholic teaching cds as a means of "catching up." I have been most surprised to hear many tell me that often converts end up knowing more about Catholicism than many cradle catholics. I don't know if this, in fact, is or is not statistically true. If so, does this make a difference in the dating world? Or would dating be more impacted by differences in the aculturation that happens by growing up Catholic (if that makes sense)?

Thanks in advance for sharing your thoughts! I look forward to learning from you all.

Robyn

--hide--

We are all converts, it's just that some of us don't remember. I may have been Catholic for 35 years, but the early years were mostly involving crayons, the middle were full of selfish pursuits, and only the last few have been sincere. When looking for a match, I didn't care for how far she has already run with Christ, rather how fast her pace was *right now*.
Oct 2nd 2012 new
(Quote) Patrick-861636 said: We are all converts, it's just that some of us don't remember. I may have been Catholic for 35 ...
(Quote) Patrick-861636 said:

We are all converts, it's just that some of us don't remember. I may have been Catholic for 35 years, but the early years were mostly involving crayons, the middle were full of selfish pursuits, and only the last few have been sincere. When looking for a match, I didn't care for how far she has already run with Christ, rather how fast her pace was *right now*.
--hide--

Good explanation of what you are looking for Patrick!!
Oct 2nd 2012 new

Hi Robyn,

As a convert to Catholicism (at the ripe old age of 33) my experience has been that cradle Catholics - at least those I have met in the past - tended to not be very diligent in the practice of their faith. Many cradle Catholics have told me how my conversion has helped them desire a deeper faith. Yet, I wonder if these same cradle Catholics would be comfortable with someone like me who is very passionate about my faith and perhaps they are not. I am so excited about you going through RCIA because I know you are discovering, more and more, what the fullness of our faith truly is. Growing up Lutheran and attending a Lutheran College, I still had so many unanswered theological questions that drove me to try out the Evangelical movement as well as Non-Denominational churches of various extractions. Becoming Catholic has been and continues to be the greatest joy of my life. It has given me a tremendous, lasting peace that I never experienced as a Protestant. So, my answer to your original question would have to be "it depends" on the individuals. May God continue to bless you on your journey of faith!

Lois theheart

Oct 2nd 2012 new

(Quote) Robyn-861417 said: Hi Everyone. I am interested in finding out how people who have been raised Catholic feel...

Hi Everyone.

I am interested in finding out how people who have been raised Catholic feel about dating converts to Catholicism. Do "cradle catholics" only want to date each other? Why or why not? I am currently in the process of going through RCIA after developing a deep intimate faith in Christ in various Protestant traditions over the last 20 years. Consequently, I have a vested interest in this question, especially because it seems to me there are very few converts on this site!

In the last five months I've dived in deep, reading much and listening to over 100 hours of Catholic teaching cds as a means of "catching up." I have been most surprised to hear many tell me that often converts end up knowing more about Catholicism than many cradle catholics. I don't know if this, in fact, is or is not statistically true. If so, does this make a difference in the dating world? Or would dating be more impacted by differences in the aculturation that happens by growing up Catholic (if that makes sense)?

Thanks in advance for sharing your thoughts! I look forward to learning from you all.

Robyn

--hide--

Welcome to the Fora, Robyn. I am a convert, and agree that a grounding in Christ in the Protestant tradition is helpful and accompanies the study of RCIA as you have a strong Bible base. I speak ONLY in generalities, but it seems that "Bible study" is somewhat new to Catholics here in rural Kansas and lay leaders or no priest present is even newer, an idea. I have found that RCIA often gives converts, as myself, more solid scriptures and catechism items as there is some need to persuade and give head and heart knowledge. I've found, however, some Catholics are not receptive to converts and are suspicious. Others are suspicious of our reasons for converting. I've really only been dismissed by extremely conservative Catholics as I'm a Charismatic Christian in belief (but not worship style) and many Catholics aren't aware of the permission and endorsement given to Charismata in the Church. . .

Oct 2nd 2012 new
(Quote) Robyn-861417 said: Hi Everyone. I am interested in finding out how people who have been raised Catholic feel about dating...

Hi Everyone.

Robyn

--hide--

I have known quite a few converts, and would not have a problem dating one. I do find that they have a bit more knowledge than I remember. Some of the knowledge I have probably learned, but it just isn't in current memory. I have had many interesting conversations, and asked some interesting questions (in both directions). I can remember one convert asking two cradle italian Catholics if some of the wording from the mass came from Italian. While the other guy responed "of course it was" quite quickly, I had to think before I said that I wanted to say it was Italian, but knew it was something else, probably Latin. All in all, yes, the convers know more, probably because we cradle Catholics either misremember most of what we learned, or take some things for granted.
Oct 3rd 2012 new
(Quote) Brenda-74660 said: Good explanation of what you are looking for Patrick!!
(Quote) Brenda-74660 said:

Good explanation of what you are looking for Patrick!!
--hide--

Make that a "were".... wink
Oct 3rd 2012 new

At times I think converts make the best Catholics. As cradle Catholics sometimes we take for granted the riches/treasues of the Catholic faith. I'm not saying to be the best Catholic you need to be a convert because ultimately we all have free will to accept/follow the teaching of the Catholic church.

Oct 3rd 2012 new

Hello Robyn,
My name is Bob. My dear father, married my dear mom, who was Luthern. Dad was 1 of 9, and a devote Roman Catholic. So, in a real way, I might not be here today, unless she converted. Both my folks are in heaven right now, but I talk to them every night in prayer.

Good luck to you.

God bless you and yours!!

Sincerely, your hopeful new friend in Christ, Bob

Posts 41 - 50 of 111