Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is dedicated to those who are facing the challenge of raising children without the support of a spouse. This is a place to share ideas and lend mutual support.

Saint Rita is known to be a patroness for abused wives and mourning women.
Learn More: Saint Rita

Communion and my 5 year old

Sep 23rd 2012 new
Janna is very upset that she cannot have Jesus come to her heart in Communion. I finally came up with an answer to mollify her. I told her that she is pure and innocent and she does not need to receive Jesus in Communion because he is always in her heart.

One of my friends here suggested I have her talk to Father. So we posed her question to him. He told her that she needed to be older and wiser to receive Communion. She got that look on her face so I thanked Father and got her out of there.

She has been mollified but I know the discussion is not over. I am also teaching her some prayers for after Communion. Hopefully I will have some time before the next round.

Last Sunday, she had a few words to say about people drinking Jesus's blood.
Sep 28th 2012 new

We thankfully have people in church that do not receive every week as an example of those that are grown up and don't. I keep it very simple for my grandson who will be five in December. I remind him that he is in CCD, has a lot to learn about God and the church and what different things mean, and I just take him up with me. I've shown him how to cross his arms for a blessing so that he is participating, and he is excited about CCD as it is getting him ready to receive in a few years. I'm not sure that's a whole lot of help, but it is working for me currently. Praise God that He has given us bright children that do ask questions and have such a strong desire to be closer to Him. heart

Sep 28th 2012 new

(Quote) Theresa-722703 said: Janna is very upset that she cannot have Jesus come to her heart in Communion. I finally came up with ...
(Quote) Theresa-722703 said: Janna is very upset that she cannot have Jesus come to her heart in Communion. I finally came up with an answer to mollify her. I told her that she is pure and innocent and she does not need to receive Jesus in Communion because he is always in her heart.

One of my friends here suggested I have her talk to Father. So we posed her question to him. He told her that she needed to be older and wiser to receive Communion. She got that look on her face so I thanked Father and got her out of there.

She has been mollified but I know the discussion is not over. I am also teaching her some prayers for after Communion. Hopefully I will have some time before the next round.

Last Sunday, she had a few words to say about people drinking Jesus's blood.
--hide--

Theresa,

When you said prayers for after communion, did you mean prayers like this one for spiritual communion?
--> www.ourcatholicprayers.com That one is really a prayer in lieu of communion, not so much for after communion- I don't know if that distinction would be helpful for her, or if it would be helpful for her to know that we have special prayers to be said by the many people who (like her) can't receive communion just now. Jesus is not limited to only coming into the hearts of those receiving communion. He's God, after all. :)

If she takes to the idea of the spiritual communion, maybe she'd like a nice holy card with her special communion-time prayer on it. Or if y'all are the crafty sort, maybe she can draw her own holy card and you can help her put a prayer on the back- one of those or a simplified version that would be easy for a 5 year-old to remember. Maybe that would help her feel more involved and connected to what is going on?

Oct 3rd 2012 new
I have taught her that she can say her own prayer asking Jesus to come to her heart. I am teaching her both ways to pray, the Spiritual Communion and the after Communion prayers. I know a couple of children's prayers that I learned as a child. She likes the prayers. So she is learning both and she is making her own prayers too.
Posts 1 - 4 of 4