Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

Devoted to discussion pertaining to those issues which are specifically relevant to people under 45. Topics must have a specific perspective of people in this age group for it to be on topic.

Frassati was dedicated to works of social action, charity, prayer and community.
Learn More:Pier Giorgio Frassati

Life before the internet

10/01/2012 new

Do you all remember it? I can BARELY remember when we didn't have it...but I remember well when all we had was dial-up and I had to wait 5 minutes for a single page to load. And now I complain about slow wireless which takes about 2 seconds to load.

Here's a fun video!

www.youtube.com

What did you do in the days before the internet?

10/01/2012 new

(Quote) Jenny-872030 said: Do you all remember it? I can BARELY remember when we didn't have it...but I remember well wh...
(Quote) Jenny-872030 said:

Do you all remember it? I can BARELY remember when we didn't have it...but I remember well when all we had was dial-up and I had to wait 5 minutes for a single page to load. And now I complain about slow wireless which takes about 2 seconds to load.

Here's a fun video!

www.youtube.com

--hide--

Actually kept a book of stamps on-hand and walked to the post office.

Frequented the library.

Actually had my daily newspaper home-delivered.

Wrote letters and cards.

Actually shopped in stores.

Used pen and paper to create documentation at work.

Paid bills with a paper check.

Had a life! weeping

theheart

10/01/2012 new
(Quote) Jenny-872030 said: Do you all remember it? I can BARELY remember when we didn't have it...but I remember well when all we had ...

Here's a fun video!

www.youtube.com

--hide--

Yes I remember life before Internet.... I think we actually socialized with people in person more back then and played with live puppies instead of virtual ones.... scratchchin
10/01/2012 new
(Quote) Brenda-74660 said: Yes I remember life before Internet.... I think we actually socialized with people in person more back the...
(Quote) Brenda-74660 said:

Yes I remember life before Internet.... I think we actually socialized with people in person more back then and played with live puppies instead of virtual ones....
--hide--

embarassed sorry I snuck into the young-uns room
10/01/2012 new

Actually played real games instead of virtual ones.
Talked to friends on the phone.
And did many other things besides stare at a computer screen.

10/01/2012 new
Yes yes I do young padawan...obviously my three more years of being on this earth make me so much older and wiser. I remember getting our first Internet that was dial up, our first cell phone of the family, using tapes and not CDs..although I never made a mixed tape for a girl and wouldn't know how to. The video although funny does point out out ridiculous the whole Internet can be, posting every thought and judging our self worth my friends we never speak to, likes and comments.
10/03/2012 new

I remember actually playing games outside with my little brother and sisters. My favorite was dressing up in our pioneer clothes and playing "Little House on the Prairie" using my dad's old garden cart as a wagon. Also, I remember doing lots of exploring and creating forts and hideouts in the woods and fields around our home.

Aside from spending so much time outdoors, we also played lots of dollhouse inside, performed little plays and concerts for my parents and made a few disasters in the kitchen (whenever my mom was away for a while, we pulled out the sugar and butter and flour and concocted these super-sweet pancake things that probably ruined our appetites for the next week).

When I did research in school, I actually used Encylopedias as my reference materials. Do kids even know what those are nowadays?

While I am certainly appreciative for the internet and technology we have today, sometimes I feel bad for my little siblings because they are missing out on so much fun that we older siblings had to create for ourselves growing up.

10/03/2012 new

Riding my bike in good weather.

Practicing piano.

Reading LOTS of books.

Writing letters to my cousin.

Wait...all these activities are good...I might want to limit my Internet time now.;) Thanks for the good thinking!

10/03/2012 new

Passed notes in school & kept a diary. My sister and I were just talking about this the other evening! I can remember taking keyboarding in HS, & having to go to a computer lab in the English building because it was the only one on UNT's campus with internet - HA!

10/03/2012 new

(Quote) Jenny-872030 said: I remember actually playing games outside with my little brother and sisters. My favorite was dre...

I remember actually playing games outside with my little brother and sisters. My favorite was dressing up in our pioneer clothes and playing "Little House on the Prairie" using my dad's old garden cart as a wagon. Also, I remember doing lots of exploring and creating forts and hideouts in the woods and fields around our home.

Aside from spending so much time outdoors, we also played lots of dollhouse inside, performed little plays and concerts for my parents and made a few disasters in the kitchen (whenever my mom was away for a while, we pulled out the sugar and butter and flour and concocted these super-sweet pancake things that probably ruined our appetites for the next week).

When I did research in school, I actually used Encylopedias as my reference materials. Do kids even know what those are nowadays?

While I am certainly appreciative for the internet and technology we have today, sometimes I feel bad for my little siblings because they are missing out on so much fun that we older siblings had to create for ourselves growing up.

--hide--

Wow, Jenny, I forgot we had Tree of Knowledge encyclopedias - - - they were awesome!

Posts 1 - 10 of 11