Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

Oct 3rd 2012 new

rolling eyes I hope that you will find Peace through prayer with this one. I think it could go either way. I was married to a non-believer before I ever converted. Then, he decided he was an atheist WHILE I was leaning towards converting to Catholocism. If there had not been so many other problems, we MIGHT? have been semi-OK. But, he was really ugly with remarks about the Catholic Church, and became an outspoken atheist, forming local groups, going to meetings in D.C.

This really so depends on much prayer, and quite a bit of thorough discussion with this person about how religion will be handled. I have run into dozens of protestant guys who say, "Why should it matter if I am Catholic? I will go with you to Mass." They just do't understand that it is so much deeper than that. If Mr. Wonderful is not Catholic, he may have the key to my heart, but I have serious doubts about whether he will understand my soul. (That being said, watch me fall head over heels for a Protestant!!! lol)

Oct 9th 2012 new

(Quote) Daniel-634934 said: I just want to throw in my two cents worth 2 Corinthians was NOT referring to marriage w...
(Quote) Daniel-634934 said:

I just want to throw in my two cents worth

2 Corinthians was NOT referring to marriage when speaking about being "unequally yoked". The scripture was speaking about people in general.
Most protestants use this as an "escape clause" when trying to justify divorce. There is no such thing.

--hide--

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make here. If it applies to relationships between people in general, does that not also include marriage? Given that spouses are living together very closely, does an unequal yoking not present even more danger than to social acquaintances?

Oct 9th 2012 new

(Quote) Rosario-841845 said: I have recently been in a struggle with the decision to move foward with a relationship. I star...
(Quote) Rosario-841845 said:

I have recently been in a struggle with the decision to move foward with a relationship. I started a friendship with a man 5 months ago and it has eventually turned into a very serious attractiveness. I would even go as far to say that he is "the one". The only problem is that he is not Catholic. He had a very hard childhood and grew up with no religion. As the case with many people in this country, he doesn't believe in organized religion. I know that I will not enter into any sort of commitment with a man who is not catholic because I choose to raise my children Catholic with my husband being the leader. But after much reflection and prayer, I can't help but believe that there is some reason for me to be in his life, and vice versa. I am very confused at this point and the decision on taking this relationship further needs to be made. Since I have this wonderful resource of Catholicmatch, I thought I would take a shot at it. Any suggestions?

--hide--

Hi Rosario. Welcome to the forums (or as my Latin friends call it "fora") smile . I have read a few responses (though not all) and can see you have received some very good advice which I have come to expect from CM posters. I'm going to add my own two cents and hope it is not repetitive.

Our faith is at the very center of who we are and I would expect it to be something you will want to share with someone the rest of your life. Imagine never being able to share a sunset or a movie or a child's love with your best friend. Those losses would be so very small compared to never being able to share your faith with your best friend.

Then there is the consideration of your children. Whose faith or lack of faith will they choose to follow? At your age you are not only looking for a life long partner but also the father of your children. How could you explain that their father was good enough to be their father, but not good enough to be their spiritual leader? Can you imagine the heartache you would feel if one or all of your children chose not be a Catholic person of faith because they chose to follow their father's way of life instead of their mother's faith? Such tough questions. You are so wise to be asking them now, Rosario.

Finally, a dear friend of mine, Fr. Fred Schmit told me that one of the ways the Church brings in converts is by marrying them. So he saw no problem with me considering a non-Catholic as long as that non-Catholic became a good Catholic before we married. Beware here...and be sure the faith you share with your special someone is sincere. Marriage is both challenging and rewarding, but I found that the glue that binds is a blend of our faith and commitment.

- Elizabeth

Posts 51 - 53 of 53