Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

Oct 3rd 2012 new

Oops. Meant to say that it's my understanding that the fasting requirement has not been lifted, it's just not enforced or emphasized in the USA. That's sad. Regular penitential practices assist us in our growth.

Oct 3rd 2012 new

(Quote) Matt-849404 said: if I'm the only one that follows this anymore.
(Quote) Matt-849404 said: if I'm the only one that follows this anymore.
--hide--

Matt, You aren't alone. We also abstain, remind each other that is is Friday and plan that meal together more than most evenings and I've found that it usually makes me stop and reflect. The few times we actually eat meat on a Friday, we talk before we plan dinner about what we did in the way of penance (although our practice typically is to try to do something affirmative for someone or an act of charity). All in all, I think it is a really good witness, not just to others but a gentle reminder to ourselves as well. Something that does not go amiss in our busy lives!

Oct 3rd 2012 new

(Quote) Mary-25961 said: The reason years ago the abstienance of meat on Fridays was because people sacrificed their...
(Quote) Mary-25961 said:

The reason years ago the abstienance of meat on Fridays was because people sacrificed their money and gave it to the poor who had less. It is not just to abstain from meat. Just to astain because it's Fridays means nothing to me. Rituals mean nothing unless there is an understanding behind them and using it as a prayer.

--hide--

The reason the Church instituted abstaining from meat on Fridays is because Christ died on Good Friday. It is a sign of respect, the abstinence from flesh on the day that Christ sacrificed His for us.

Oct 3rd 2012 new

(Quote) John-324285 said: You're not the only one my whole family does this as well :D
(Quote) John-324285 said:

You're not the only one my whole family does this as well :D

--hide--

That is good to hear! Thanks for that positive note!

Oct 3rd 2012 new

And yet, if you told them you weren't eating meat [on fridays] because you were a vegan, they wouldn't look at you as if you had lobsters crawling out of your ears, they would admire you conviction!

I think any kind of fasting is good. Just keep in mind Matthew 6:18 "(But when you fast, anoint your head and wash your face) so that you may not appear to be fasting, except to your Father who is hidden. And your Father who sees what is hidden will repay you." No need to bring up the fact you aren't eating meat as there should be lots of options these days in restaurants for non-meat eaters.

Cat

(Quote) Matt-849404 said: Hello Catholic Match "Forumers"! I just wanted to put something out there and see...
(Quote) Matt-849404 said:

Hello Catholic Match "Forumers"!

I just wanted to put something out there and see what other Catholics think of Abstinence. I am a Traditional Catholic and I follow the traditional rules of the Catholic Church, which includes abstaining from meat on every Friday of the year, not just in Lent.

When I go out to eat or something with friends on a Friday, and I won't order or eat anything with meat, it raises the question, and when I tell them I don't eat meat on Friday, they look at me like I have lobsters crawling out of my ears! Lol! There's usually one person who will make the obvious statement: It's not Lent.

They just can't believe that I go without eating meat every Friday of the year, like it's that much of a sacrifice that it's just unthinkable.

So I just wanted to see what other Catholics on here think of Abstinence from meat on Fridays, or if I'm the only one that follows this anymore. (Not that it will matter in the slightest if I am, I'll still do what I know is right.)

--hide--

Oct 3rd 2012 new

My family has always abstained from meat on Fridays. I didn't even realize there were some Catholics that didn't do this until I was in my early teens.

Oct 3rd 2012 new

(Quote) Brenda-74660 said: I was at a local Taco Mayo on a Friday & attempted to order a meatless meal. I thought it would be a...
(Quote) Brenda-74660 said: I was at a local Taco Mayo on a Friday & attempted to order a meatless meal. I thought it would be a simple task. They had Cheese Quesadilla's listed on their menu, and refried beans. The clerk argued with me they only had been or Chicken on the Quesadilla's even though the menu on the wall was clear about Cheese being an option. Then when my beans came out they had chili sauce on theme so I had to request a different serving of food. I ended up feeling badly because it did attract attention. I called the district manager & explained my problem, she thanked me for letting her know. Turns out she was Catholic & did understand. She is well aware that Catholics tend to be a minority in my area & she really wants to educate her staff about being helpful to special needs. She ended up sending me vouchers for my next visit to Taco Mayo....So I think my point is ---don't be afraid to make your needs known when it comes to practicing your faith. Sometimes it is a good thing to be in the role of education....
--hide--

Brenda I understand this completely. I was at Subway a couple years back with some friends on a Friday during Lent. They all got their sandwiches while I attempted to get a salad without meat. I ordered the veggie salad and they tried asking me what kind of meat I wanted on that. When I said no meat the person making the food looked completely confused. And then repeated the question. Being Catholic and working in a restaurant I'm always more understanding than some when people request something with no meat. Although I did have one lady that told me bacon wasn't actually meat so it was ok to go ahead and put it on her food....

Oct 3rd 2012 new

(Quote) Cat-163322 said: And yet, if you told them you weren't eating meat because you were a vegan, they w...
(Quote) Cat-163322 said:

And yet, if you told them you weren't eating meat [on fridays] because you were a vegan, they wouldn't look at you as if you had lobsters crawling out of your ears, they would admire you conviction!

I think any kind of fasting is good. Just keep in mind Matthew 6:18 "(But when you fast, anoint your head and wash your face) so that you may not appear to be fasting, except to your Father who is hidden. And your Father who sees what is hidden will repay you." No need to bring up the fact you aren't eating meat as there should be lots of options these days in restaurants for non-meat eaters.

Cat

--hide--

Cat I agree that there should be lots of options for non-meat eaters in restaurants. Unfortunately in some places this can be a little difficult to find. They may have only one thing on the menu and it might be something you don't like. In my case I work in a BBQ restaurant so even though we offer salads and stuffed potatoes, they still come with bacon bits on them. So people will order one thinking it won't have any meat only to be surprised that we put bacon on their food. I would love to see us offer more options for people, especially during Lent.

Oct 3rd 2012 new

You are definitely not the only one, but I know what you mean about those looks and comments. And it really isn't asking a lot, is it?

Oct 3rd 2012 new

You are definitely not the only one, but I know what you mean about those looks and comments. And it really isn't asking a lot, is it?

Posts 11 - 20 of 104