Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

Our local United Way has stopped funding ($90,000) our local cub/boy scouts because scouts doesn't promote same-sex marriage....the letter I received from scouts says it doesn't think scouts which predominately serves kids up to 12 years old is the right forum to discuss same sex orientation and that they are disappointed...I agree! What a shame. Now, for them to donate to boy scouts it has to be expressely requested on the form and not a lot of people are going to know to do that! How sickening that liberal values are being forced down our necks via our children now....girl scouts has already been infiltrated and supports planned parenthood...how sad that they are taking this out on our kids! First off, I do not have my son in scouts for these liberals to try to teach him that same sex orientation is ok as it goes against my Christian values and has nothing to do with scouts. Secondly, he is too young to hear that stuff period and when it does come time to talk about it....it should come from parents....from me not some extra curricular activity.

Oct 3rd 2012 new

(Quote) Cheryl-409772 said: Our local United Way has stopped funding ($90,000) our local cub/boy scouts because scouts does...
(Quote) Cheryl-409772 said:

Our local United Way has stopped funding ($90,000) our local cub/boy scouts because scouts doesn't promote same-sex marriage....the letter I received from scouts says it doesn't think scouts which predominately serves kids up to 12 years old is the right forum to discuss same sex orientation and that they are disappointed...I agree! What a shame. Now, for them to donate to boy scouts it has to be expressely requested on the form and not a lot of people are going to know to do that! How sickening that liberal values are being forced down our necks via our children now....girl scouts has already been infiltrated and supports planned parenthood...how sad that they are taking this out on our kids! First off, I do not have my son in scouts for these liberals to try to teach him that same sex orientation is ok as it goes against my Christian values and has nothing to do with scouts. Secondly, he is too young to hear that stuff period and when it does come time to talk about it....it should come from parents....from me not some extra curricular activity.

--hide--

My suggestions:

(1) Donate directly to the Boy Scouts (or any other charity you would have contributed through via United Way) -- this prevents UW from taking a cut before distributing the earmarked funds.

(2) Send a letter to the president of UW explaining how much you gave directly to the target organizations instead of to UW and why.

If enough people do this, perhaps they'll change their policy.

Oct 3rd 2012 new

(Quote) Cheryl-409772 said: Our local United Way has stopped funding ($90,000) our local cub/boy scouts because scouts doesn...

--hide--

That is rediculous! When I was 12 years old marriage was something I had no business discussing period! irked

Oct 3rd 2012 new

(Quote) Elizabeth-114955 said: (Quote) Cheryl-409772 said: Our local United Way has stopped funding (...
(Quote) Elizabeth-114955 said:

Quote:
Cheryl-409772 said:

That is rediculous! When I was 12 years old marriage was something I had no business discussing period!

--hide--
Exactly! I bet you they donate to planned parenthood now too.

Oct 3rd 2012 new

(Quote) Jerry-74383 said: My suggestions: (1) Donate directly to the Boy Scouts (or any other charity you wo...
(Quote) Jerry-74383 said:

My suggestions:

(1) Donate directly to the Boy Scouts (or any other charity you would have contributed through via United Way) -- this prevents UW from taking a cut before distributing the earmarked funds.

(2) Send a letter to the president of UW explaining how much you gave directly to the target organizations instead of to UW and why.

If enough people do this, perhaps they'll change their policy.

--hide--

Hope Jerry doesn't mind me adding a 3rd:
3) And then only give to Catholic charities that stand up for Catholic values.
Maybe there's a parish in your area that sponsors a troop.

Oct 3rd 2012 new

(Quote) Charles-211696 said:Hope Jerry doesn't mind me adding a 3rd:3) And then only give to Catholic charities tha...
(Quote) Charles-211696 said:

Hope Jerry doesn't mind me adding a 3rd:
3) And then only give to Catholic charities that stand up for Catholic values.
Maybe there's a parish in your area that sponsors a troop.

--hide--

I don't mind, but I would like a clarification: is the suggestion to only give to charities that are Catholic and stand up for Catholic values, or when we give to charities that are Catholic to only give to those that stand up for Catholic values?

Oct 3rd 2012 new

(Quote) Jerry-74383 said: I don't mind, but I would like a clarification: is the suggestion to only give to cha...
(Quote) Jerry-74383 said:

I don't mind, but I would like a clarification: is the suggestion to only give to charities that are Catholic and stand up for Catholic values, or when we give to charities that are Catholic to only give to those that stand up for Catholic values?

--hide--

Maybe lean a little more toward the former than the latter? If one only gives to charities that are Catholic and stand up for Catholic values, then hopefully one can be more certain that their philanthropy is keeping within the tenets of the faith.

I know that's still not much of a clarification. However, there have been at least one or two threads of late talking about charitable giving and wanting to ensure the money is spent well. I think that issue is what's influencing my thought, here.

Your thoughts? Thoughts from others?

Oct 3rd 2012 new

(Quote) Cheryl-409772 said: Our local United Way has stopped funding ($90,000) our local cub/boy scouts because scouts doesn...

--hide--

What would you think if I told you that the Boy Scouts of America and a handful of other organizations founded what became known as the United Way? Check it out.

Oct 4th 2012 new

(Quote) John-727073 said:What would you think if I told you that the Boy Scouts of America and a handful of other organizations fou...
(Quote) John-727073 said:What would you think if I told you that the Boy Scouts of America and a handful of other organizations founded what became known as the United Way? Check it out.
--hide--

I am no longer an employee, but back in the day there were goals for United Way contributions and I did get some heat as they were supporting planned parenthood and, at the time, clinics planned parenthood referred patients to... I am a scout leader and as I understand it the problem is not with teaching about alternative activities but about supporting them in the organization- BSA had refused to promote United Way "values" as an employer and with volunteers

Oct 4th 2012 new

(Quote) John-842063 said: (Quote) John-727073 said:What would you think if I told you that the Boy Scouts of...
(Quote) John-842063 said:

Quote:
John-727073 said:What would you think if I told you that the Boy Scouts of America and a handful of other organizations founded what became known as the United Way? Check it out.

I am no longer an employee, but back in the day there were goals for United Way contributions and I did get some heat as they were supporting planned parenthood and, at the time, clinics planned parenthood referred patients to... I am a scout leader and as I understand it the problem is not with teaching about alternative activities but about supporting them in the organization- BSA had refused to promote United Way "values" as an employer and with volunteers

--hide--

Yes, my family stopped donating to United Way some 20 plus years ago because of their support for Planned Parenthood. In the military, I never gave to the general government charity fund for the same reason. I always chose specific charities (usually including the Boy Scouts and Pro-Life Counseling Centers among others) and directed that my money go specifically there. Recently I have stopped giving to Komen Foundation when asked for same reason. No more runs for the cure.

Bad enough Obama and Pelosi are sending our tax money to PP, but at least we can keep our charity money out of their abortoriums.

As for the BSA, expect continued and increasingly vocal attacks by the pro-gay-lifestyle lobby. Imagine what it would be like if your sons' monthly camping trip were run by gay leaders! That's what they want. There would be more initiations than Tot'N Chip and OA then, as any man knows. The Scout Oath to keep "morally straight" and the Scout Law to be "clean" should be kept in mind. We need to preserve clean, straight male friendship, which is a joy and consolation to both boy and man, and not allow it to be perverted by the new left into something homosexual.

Posts 1 - 10 of 13