Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

Oct 3rd 2012 new
(Quote) Matt-849404 said: Hello Catholic Match "Forumers"! I just wanted to put something out there and see what ...
(Quote) Matt-849404 said:

Hello Catholic Match "Forumers"!

I just wanted to put something out there and see what other Catholics think of Abstinence. I am a Traditional Catholic and I follow the traditional rules of the Catholic Church, which includes abstaining from meat on every Friday of the year, not just in Lent.

When I go out to eat or something with friends on a Friday, and I won't order or eat anything with meat, it raises the question, and when I tell them I don't eat meat on Friday, they look at me like I have lobsters crawling out of my ears! Lol! There's usually one person who will make the obvious statement: It's not Lent.

They just can't believe that I go without eating meat every Friday of the year, like it's that much of a sacrifice that it's just unthinkable.

So I just wanted to see what other Catholics on here think of Abstinence from meat on Fridays, or if I'm the only one that follows this anymore. (Not that it will matter in the slightest if I am, I'll still do what I know is right.)

--hide--

I do not eat meat EVERY Friday, not just in Lent. Also, things that you do in Lent should be continued. Things that we do or give up in Lent are intended to be continued to improve us. We shouldn't just give up drinking soft drinks during Lent, and then go back to them after Lent is over, in my opinion, especially if it is good for you.

My two cents...
Oct 4th 2012 new

This has been a very educational discussion for me. Thanks for bringing it up, Matt!

Peace and blessings to you and yours.

maricela

Oct 4th 2012 new

Someone inadvertently entered the following as a report to this post rather than using the reply function:

Hello Matt, I'd like to know where it says this in scripture? I only believe it if it is the written word of God not the Pope or Catholic Priests. No man has any right to "add too"or "take away" what the scriptures say.

In response:

The idea expressed in this comment is known a sola scriptura ("scripture alone"), which is a Protestant belief that is not part of the Catholic faith, which is based on Scripture as well as sacred tradition. For a detailed explanation of why sola scriptura is invalid, see tinyurl.com

Oct 4th 2012 new

(Quote) Matt-849404 said: Hello Catholic Match "Forumers"! I just wanted to put something out there and see...
(Quote) Matt-849404 said:

Hello Catholic Match "Forumers"!

I just wanted to put something out there and see what other Catholics think of Abstinence. I am a Traditional Catholic and I follow the traditional rules of the Catholic Church, which includes abstaining from meat on every Friday of the year, not just in Lent.

When I go out to eat or something with friends on a Friday, and I won't order or eat anything with meat, it raises the question, and when I tell them I don't eat meat on Friday, they look at me like I have lobsters crawling out of my ears! Lol! There's usually one person who will make the obvious statement: It's not Lent.

They just can't believe that I go without eating meat every Friday of the year, like it's that much of a sacrifice that it's just unthinkable.

So I just wanted to see what other Catholics on here think of Abstinence from meat on Fridays, or if I'm the only one that follows this anymore. (Not that it will matter in the slightest if I am, I'll still do what I know is right.)

--hide--

Don't feel too out of place. Just try living with a vegetarian for a while! Now that is really weird.

Many may not know that the early Church fasted every Wednesday and Friday. During the Middle Ages, that decreased to fasting every Friday, and all of Advent, Lent, and Ember Days. Somewhere in there we lost Wednesdays, Advent and Ember Days. Then after Vatican II, Friday fasts were thrown out and Lenten fasts reduced to just Fridays in Lent instead of all Lent, plus Ash Wed and Good Fri. Another fast we've forgotten is the fast from midnight until communion on Sunday. When my folks were growing up they had last call for drinks just before midnight in Catholic towns because anyone going to communion the next day had to stop drinking at midnight on Saturday....like cinderella. Perhaps, that is where the fairy tale had its origen? That was reduced to 3 hours and then 1 hour after VII, so that now there is essentially no fast except you have to finish breakfast 15 minutes before you leave for Mass and can't eat during the service...although I saw gum chewing last sunday. But, I digress.

People also forget that fasting often included fasting from sex in the olden days. Made Lent rather long, I gather!

Anyway, don't feel bad about keeping up an old tradition. You are setting a good example for the rest of us.

Oct 4th 2012 new

(Quote) Brenda-74660 said: I was at a local Taco Mayo on a Friday & attempted to order a meatless meal. I thought it would be a...
(Quote) Brenda-74660 said: I was at a local Taco Mayo on a Friday & attempted to order a meatless meal. I thought it would be a simple task. They had Cheese Quesadilla's listed on their menu, and refried beans. The clerk argued with me they only had been or Chicken on the Quesadilla's even though the menu on the wall was clear about Cheese being an option. Then when my beans came out they had chili sauce on theme so I had to request a different serving of food. I ended up feeling badly because it did attract attention. I called the district manager & explained my problem, she thanked me for letting her know. Turns out she was Catholic & did understand. She is well aware that Catholics tend to be a minority in my area & she really wants to educate her staff about being helpful to special needs. She ended up sending me vouchers for my next visit to Taco Mayo....So I think my point is ---don't be afraid to make your needs known when it comes to practicing your faith. Sometimes it is a good thing to be in the role of education....
--hide--
At the very least you set a good example. This apparently had a ripple effect.

It shows what one person is able to accomplish!!!! Go get 'em, Brenda. clap

Oct 4th 2012 new

(Quote) Jerry-74383 said: Someone inadvertently entered the following as a report to this post rather than using the reply f...
(Quote) Jerry-74383 said:

Someone inadvertently entered the following as a report to this post rather than using the reply function:

Hello Matt, I'd like to know where it says this in scripture? I only believe it if it is the written word of God not the Pope or Catholic Priests. No man has any right to "add too"or "take away" what the scriptures say.

In response:

The idea expressed in this comment is known a sola scriptura ("scripture alone"), which is a Protestant belief that is not part of the Catholic faith, which is based on Scripture as well as sacred tradition. For a detailed explanation of why sola scriptura is invalid, see tinyurl.com

--hide--
It shows a lack of knowledge of the Faith. Every Catholic should know that not everything to be believed is contained the Bible. The Bible itself tells us that. We have Sacred Tradition to follow as well as the Sacred Word. Perhaps the complainant was not a Catholic???? scratchchin

Oct 4th 2012 new

look at you as if you had lobsters crawling out of your ears.... Matthew 6:18 "(But when you fast, anoint your head and wash your face)

I had for several years given up meat for lent- all of lent, (meat, seafood, cheese, fried food)
and a friend asked me "and you lived?"

Oct 4th 2012 new
(Quote) Ray-566531 said: ...... people ordering hamburgers at fast food places during Lent.........
(Quote) Ray-566531 said:

...... people ordering hamburgers at fast food places during Lent.........

--hide--

I also abstain from hamburgers during Lent. I'll have fish or other seafood, or just vegetables, instead.
Oct 4th 2012 new
(Quote) Jerry-74383 said: Someone inadvertently entered the following as a report to this post rather than using the reply function: <...
(Quote) Jerry-74383 said:

In response:

--hide--

Nowhere in the Bible are the words sola scriptura to be found, including all the writings of Saints Peter and Paul. In fact, Jesus told His disciples that He did not have time on Earth to teach them everything that they needed to know, but that when He left, then the Paraclete (Holy Spirit) could come and continue to teach them what they needed to know (through continued divine revelation).

Also, the Bible includes just a sampling of the teachings of Jesus that were known at the time of the creation of the Bible. You could compile many more volumes of Scripture on the other teachings and Sacred Traditions, as well as the revelations of the Holy Spirit since +/-33 AD, or even 390 AD.

If Jesus said He would be with us until the end of the age, wouldn't that mean there would be continued revelation through the Holy Spirit? Why would He send us the Paraclete if the Paraclete were to remain mute? We are still living in the church age. And the magisterium of the Church is the arbiter of what is truth in these continued revelations by virtue of keeping the keys to the kingdom passed on by Peter. Saint Dominic and Sister Faustina lived many years after the compilation of the Bible, yet they have added much to the sacred traditions of the Church and what makes us Catholic Christians.
Oct 4th 2012 new

(Quote) Matt-61677 said: So every now an then i try to abstain on Fridays, but usually fail. I think that it's a great w...
(Quote) Matt-61677 said:

So every now an then i try to abstain on Fridays, but usually fail. I think that it's a great witness.

--hide--

I agree with Matt. What you are doing is a great witness. This brings to mind a scenario when I was in my 20's. I was dating a non-Catholic, and she gave me grief because I did not "give anything up" for Lent. I tried without success to explain that Lent was about choosing a personal form of penance, but since her Aunt and Uncle gave up beer every Lent, she was right and I was wrong.

Posts 21 - 30 of 104