Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

Eliminate foreign aid?

Oct 4th 2012 new
If there is one issue that I often hear people say that should be eliminated from the federal budget to reduce spending, it is foreign aid. Whether Democrat, Republican, or independent, this seems to truly be a bi-partisan sentiment. Yet, I heard on the news last night that foreign aid has increased over 80% under the Obama administration. Almost double!
Oct 4th 2012 new

(Quote) Edward-512961 said: If there is one issue that I often hear people say that should be eliminated from the federal budget to...
(Quote) Edward-512961 said: If there is one issue that I often hear people say that should be eliminated from the federal budget to reduce spending, it is foreign aid. Whether Democrat, Republican, or independent, this seems to truly be a bi-partisan sentiment. Yet, I heard on the news last night that foreign aid has increased over 80% under the Obama administration. Almost double!
--hide--

I don't know why we give foreign aid. It should be for explicit projects and purposes in a foreign country,
like the sunami. Who knows where the money goes in those countries, so it does not
seem like a sound concept to just be throwing money at then.

I think Sadam Hussem used to keep the money we sent to Iraq and the citizens did not get any of the money.

I will never forget that President Clinton talked about this publicly, and he said that the amount of money that
goes to foreign aid is actually a very small part of the US budget. That made me feel better about it, but maybe that
was not true.

Anyway, I am not surprised that the amount of foreign aid skyrocketed under Obama.

I wonder what Romney will do?

Oct 4th 2012 new

(Quote) Edward-512961 said: If there is one issue that I often hear people say that should be eliminated from the federal budget to...
(Quote) Edward-512961 said: If there is one issue that I often hear people say that should be eliminated from the federal budget to reduce spending, it is foreign aid. Whether Democrat, Republican, or independent, this seems to truly be a bi-partisan sentiment. Yet, I heard on the news last night that foreign aid has increased over 80% under the Obama administration. Almost double!
--hide--
We should limit our foreign aid to instances of dire need like the asian tsunami, mass starvations, and refugee crises like what is happening now on the Syrian/Turkish border. Military aid is an ugly subject, and I'm not going there.

Oct 4th 2012 new

--hide--

and at that most the foreign aid should come from ministries and private organizations like the red cross...Americans pull together to help countries in need like none other...indeed Catholic charities do more than any others...I think they are more likely to get the money to the people who most really need it....otherwise it goes more to the govts to do who knows what...

Posts 1 - 4 of 4