Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

If a pet turtle shows up at your home, do not take him in. He is considered armed and dangerous. No joke.

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the number of Salmonella cases linked to tiny breeds of the reptile (it's not an amphibian!) is on the rise. As of last week, there are six current outbreaks of the bacteria-borne illness directly linked to exposure to the illegal contraband. Yes pet turtles are illegal.

Ever since 1975, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has placed a nationwide ban on sales of the amphibians-with shells 4 inches or smaller. After a spike in Salmonella-related sicknesses, the little guys were found to be breeders of the bacteria.

shine.yahoo.com
Oct 1st 2012 new

Most reptiles carry disease. This is one of the reasons they recommend them for people over age 8. They feel older people are able to better follow directions and handle them safely (such as wash hands afterwards).

Oct 1st 2012 new
Well unless you purchase your reptile from a Pet store its illegal in most states now anyway. Keeping wild animals as pet is a no no now. Sad as keeping a snake or three was always fun.
Oct 2nd 2012 new
(Quote) Tim-734178 said: Well unless you purchase your reptile from a Pet store its illegal in most states now anyway. Keeping wild animals a...
(Quote) Tim-734178 said: Well unless you purchase your reptile from a Pet store its illegal in most states now anyway. Keeping wild animals as pet is a no no now. Sad as keeping a snake or three was always fun.
--hide--

You mean I can't keep raising those possums? Even if they aren't pets when full grown. Pot-O-Possum being their destiny. wink stir the pot! Its getting cold!

j/k laughing (poking a bit of fun at my state's rep. )
Oct 4th 2012 new

(Quote) Tim-734178 said: Sad as keeping a snake or three was always fun.
(Quote) Tim-734178 said: Sad as keeping a snake or three was always fun.
--hide--

Fun for you but not the snake!

Oct 4th 2012 new
Indeed. I guess thats why they always tried to escape!! Lol
Oct 5th 2012 new

Who is Sal Monnella? scratchchin laughing mischievous

Oct 5th 2012 new
I've lost track of how many turtles I've had for pets, and my kids. I'm certain there will be more. No big mystery here: keep their bowls clean and wash your hands after handling.
Oct 5th 2012 new

Years ago my parents were at the seashore with my niece. My mother bought my niece a pet turtle and hermit crab. When she came home with them, her mother (my sister) forbade her to keep them due to her fear of germs (Salmonella). She had 2 smaller children in the house. So I ended up being the caretaker of these pets until my niece grew older. After she was 18 or so, she moved into her father's house, and asked for the turtle.

It is amazing how something so small could have a personality, but I am certain that s/he did. I considered him to be a male based upon that personality. His home for awhile was a small plastic habitat, and he would throw around the pebbles inside making noise so I could not sleep. And I took that to mean he was hungry, and would drop in food pellets one by one. And he could eat a lot. It got to the point where I had to place the habitat in another room at night in order not to be disturbed.

I would arrange his habitat so that pebbles were on one side so that he would not be submerged all the time, but he would not leave them be where they were. I buttressed them with a couple rocks, but still I think he would move them around if he was bored.

Another thing I noticed was that sometimes I would happen to glance over at him and see him pressed up against the glass intently staring at me. And if I looked at him, I think he would start clawing the wall of the habitat. Maybe he wanted out.

Once he bit me. I was blotting the bottom of his shell with a tissue to remove a white film when he suddenly snapped at me. I threw or dropped him in shock, but he was okay.

I think I bought him a small aquarium after that so that he could submerge and swim and dive. My niece had an even better home for him, a heated aquarium with a filter. I missed him for awhile, but now I have 2 hermit crabs. One is company for the other.

Posts 1 - 9 of 9