Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

10/05/2012 new

(Quote) Marian-83994 said: I don't drink coffee. Fire away whatever your issue is.
(Quote) Marian-83994 said:

I don't drink coffee. Fire away whatever your issue is.

--hide--

nothing to fire about. rose no insult intended. if you have a problem, please send me an email and we'll discuss it.

10/05/2012 new

(Quote) David-364112 said: (Quote) Marian-83994 said: Whats wrong with you David?
(Quote) David-364112 said:

Quote:
Marian-83994 said:

Whats wrong with you David?

well OK since you asked. but put on the coffee and sit down. this will take a good long while to explain.

--hide--

Yes please do explain. I am making a pot of tea. Lavender Earl Grey to be exact.

10/05/2012 new

(Quote) David-364112 said: nothing to fire about. no insult intended. if you have a problem, please send me an ...
(Quote) David-364112 said:

nothing to fire about. no insult intended. if you have a problem, please send me an email and we'll discuss it.

--hide--

Thank you for the rose. No problem... or issue. I thought you did..

Have a cup of tea... good tea..

10/05/2012 new

rose heart

10/05/2012 new

I try to do it too!! It's amazing how many of my non-Catholic friends try to inform me that, "It's not Lent", and try to show me the "error of my ways". I feel like it's the least I can do when Jesus has done so much for us!!

10/05/2012 new
Mary, this is the reason. The Catholic Church does not make rules based on economical circumstances such as a percentage of people not having enough to eat. And if that were the case, why only meat, and why on Friday? It is all about the flesh and blood of Jesus Christ. That is why fish and seafood is allowed, because there is no blood in the "meat".
10/05/2012 new

(Quote) Matt-849404 said: Hello Catholic Match "Forumers"! I just wanted to put something out there and see...
(Quote) Matt-849404 said:

Hello Catholic Match "Forumers"!

I just wanted to put something out there and see what other Catholics think of Abstinence. I am a Traditional Catholic and I follow the traditional rules of the Catholic Church, which includes abstaining from meat on every Friday of the year, not just in Lent.

When I go out to eat or something with friends on a Friday, and I won't order or eat anything with meat, it raises the question, and when I tell them I don't eat meat on Friday, they look at me like I have lobsters crawling out of my ears! Lol! There's usually one person who will make the obvious statement: It's not Lent.

They just can't believe that I go without eating meat every Friday of the year, like it's that much of a sacrifice that it's just unthinkable.

So I just wanted to see what other Catholics on here think of Abstinence from meat on Fridays, or if I'm the only one that follows this anymore. (Not that it will matter in the slightest if I am, I'll still do what I know is right.)

--hide--

I follow the same law and I remember as a kid it could be hard going to a sleepover and having to say I can't eat meat. Now as an adult people don't notice it much.

10/06/2012 new

(Quote) Matt-849404 said: Mary, this is the reason. The Catholic Church does not make rules based on economical circumstances such ...
(Quote) Matt-849404 said: Mary, this is the reason. The Catholic Church does not make rules based on economical circumstances such as a percentage of people not having enough to eat. And if that were the case, why only meat, and why on Friday? It is all about the flesh and blood of Jesus Christ. That is why fish and seafood is allowed, because there is no blood in the "meat".
--hide--

While your explanation is plausible, that doesn't make it factual. Do you have any credible sources that support it?

10/06/2012 new

shocked HEY! I'm a vegetarian, and there is nothing weird about it! wink laughing laughing

so meatless Fridays are never a problem for me. but I don't make a big deal of it either.

(Quote) Gerald-283546 said: Don't feel too out of place. Just try living with a vegetarian for a while! Now that...
(Quote) Gerald-283546 said:

Don't feel too out of place. Just try living with a vegetarian for a while! Now that is really weird.

Many may not know that the early Church fasted every Wednesday and Friday. During the Middle Ages, that decreased to fasting every Friday, and all of Advent, Lent, and Ember Days. Somewhere in there we lost Wednesdays, Advent and Ember Days. Then after Vatican II, Friday fasts were thrown out and Lenten fasts reduced to just Fridays in Lent instead of all Lent, plus Ash Wed and Good Fri. Another fast we've forgotten is the fast from midnight until communion on Sunday. When my folks were growing up they had last call for drinks just before midnight in Catholic towns because anyone going to communion the next day had to stop drinking at midnight on Saturday....like cinderella. Perhaps, that is where the fairy tale had its origen? That was reduced to 3 hours and then 1 hour after VII, so that now there is essentially no fast except you have to finish breakfast 15 minutes before you leave for Mass and can't eat during the service...although I saw gum chewing last sunday. But, I digress.

People also forget that fasting often included fasting from sex in the olden days. Made Lent rather long, I gather!

Anyway, don't feel bad about keeping up an old tradition. You are setting a good example for the rest of us.

--hide--

10/06/2012 new

(Quote) Jerry-74383 said: While your explanation is plausible, that doesn't make it factual. Do you have any cr...
(Quote) Jerry-74383 said:

While your explanation is plausible, that doesn't make it factual. Do you have any credible sources that support it?

--hide--

referee Unnecessary roughing! 15 yards!

Posts 61 - 70 of 104