Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

coping with weddings

Oct 6th 2012 new

I'm attending the wedding of a family friend today. Those can be a little hard sometimes, seeing what I pray for happening for someone else. I work hard to focus on the joy of the couple, praying for their love for each other to grow and deepen & for them to place the Lord first in their marriage. I listen for my favorite songs on the dance floor. Today, I especially am looking forward to dancing with my dad, he's a hoot! And the people watching is always great fun!!

What do you do when you're attending a wedding to "cope"?

Oct 6th 2012 new

(Quote) Melanie-894195 said: I'm attending the wedding of a family friend today. Those can be a little hard sometimes, s...
(Quote) Melanie-894195 said:

I'm attending the wedding of a family friend today. Those can be a little hard sometimes, seeing what I pray for happening for someone else. I work hard to focus on the joy of the couple, praying for their love for each other to grow and deepen & for them to place the Lord first in their marriage. I listen for my favorite songs on the dance floor. Today, I especially am looking forward to dancing with my dad, he's a hoot! And the people watching is always great fun!!

--hide--

I married late, so I know how you are feeling. Weddings and baby showers always put me in a funk. My advice is to go and have fun. Focus on the couple and not on yourself. This can take a great deal of effort. Pray for help to do this. You never know if someone there will be looking for you. Drive yourself, so you have an escape plan if it gets to be too difficult. Enjoy the time with your dad! I'm sure he will love having you at his side.

Oct 6th 2012 new

WOuld you like to hear something strange but true? While I was still married, the last 4-6 weddings my spouse and I attended were absolutely dreadful. I managed thru it, but because I was suffering from Post Traumatic Stress and still trying to recooperate from much turmoil, betrayal, and just the realization of a shattered dream, I would summon the courage to holdback the tears. IN other words, we were married, but we were not emotionaly connected and he never caught on to my inner pain. A few "spirits/cocktails" didnt help me relax but often depressed me.

I would say, stay strong, keep your heart and mind in the spirit of prayer for the couple getting married that their marriage stands the test of time.

I can relate to you and again would say the same things as the CM'er before me, and keep smiling and have fun dancing w/pops!

tare care,
GodBless...crossfingers

Oct 6th 2012 new

Well, about ten years ago I attended a wedding as a guest of my then girlfriend. We were actually about to break up (nothing horrible, just not the right person) As it turns out, I was the only date at the table! Everyone one else had spend time on mission together in Guatemala with my girlfriend, and between the two it was the worst wedding I ever attended. So I kind of use that as my benchmark to remnd myself that being single at a wedding is not the worst thing...

Also the fact that there are hopefully many good friends as well as drinks & good food also helps!

Oct 6th 2012 new

Being single at a wedding is hard. But the way I look at it, its a chance to meet new people that you normally wouldnt meet. The right person for you could be there. You never know.

Oct 6th 2012 new

(Quote) Sandra-892570 said: Being single at a wedding is hard. But the way I look at it, its a chance to meet new people tha...
(Quote) Sandra-892570 said:

Being single at a wedding is hard. But the way I look at it, its a chance to meet new people that you normally wouldnt meet. The right person for you could be there. You never know.

--hide--

It will change as one lives on through to different ages also. I think it used to hurt more. Now I am numb. But I rarely go to one..if I can avoid it..

Oct 6th 2012 new

(Quote) Melanie-894195 said: I'm attending the wedding of a family friend today. Those can be a little hard sometimes, s...

--hide--

I've been to cousins wedding and am always happy to share the joy I see in that a Marriage is a Sacrament a sign of God's love made manifest in two people... So weddings are a good thing if it leads to a Sacramental marriage.. We are witnessing God's Love through His sacrament of Matrimony... When so much in the world is out to destroy marriage and the sacredness of it... I see each good wedding as a sing that God has not abandoned us and there is still good in the world... Yes I wish that for myself but all in God's perfect timing and according to His will. Pray for the couple as they will have struggles to face in this world of tempations...

Peace and Prayers.. I hope that helps a little .. Praying rosary theheart rose Kathleen

Oct 7th 2012 new

--hide--

How do I "cope" while attending a wedding? Well, I stuff my feelings during the wedding and then drink myself into a blackout during the reception. eyepopping OK, so I'm kidding.

I tend to try and focus on the couple getting married and praying for them, which you alluded to. I also find hope in the wedding to think that it could possibly be me up there one day in the future. Like you mentioned as well, I try and have a good time at the reception and get out on the dance floor and dance. If there are any single ladies there, then a good hunk of time is spent on conjuring up the guts to ask them to dance. *l* As with anything, the more time spent on praying for others, generally helps to cure time spent thinking about oneself. God bless you in your time at the wedding, Melanie.

Oct 7th 2012 new

The focus of the wedding is the couple starting a new life together. We are all affected by weddings one way or another. If the wedding/reception would be too much. Opt to attend the church or location were the wedding will take place. If you want attend both event but stay for part of the reception only. For people that go alone & have the option of bring a guest, take a family member or close friend. One does not always need a date for weddings. A few years back I attended the wedding of a good friend. I went alone & sat with other friends of there which was fine with me. Some had a date others didnt. We all look at this different in life.

Oct 7th 2012 new

Thank you for sharing your thoughts, everyone! My parents & I had a wonderful time - even got my mom on the dance floor to "Love Shack" - victory! It was a wonderful time, being able to pray for the couple & visit with family friends. Plus the food was fantastic!

May all our wedding guest experiences be as positive in the future!

Posts 1 - 10 of 24