Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

Used car values

Oct 2nd 2012 new

Ok, I know this is going to be sort of an ambiguous question. But, does anyone have any thoughts on used car values these days? I've had my heart set on a particular model car for a couple years now. Unfortunately the current values seem to be 20-33% higher now than in the fall of 2010 when I began looking. It's a fairly rare model so I'm stuck weighing the cost of traveling to find one. Weighing the value of lower mileage with some warranty left -vs- higher mileage with little or no warrantly left. Etc, etc...

I've always had very inexpensive used vehicles in the past. So, this would be sort of a treat (though not outrageously expensive by today's standards I guess). Any thoughts?

Oct 2nd 2012 new

Just from my experience in being around the Car biz for over 10yrs.. A good way to determine a cars value is go to NADA.com, go through the process and pick out make, year, model of vehicle, and then the options and mileage. After you've done everything the last pg you should see 4 values. Average Trade in value- is closest to Dealer wholesale value- meaning that's pretty close to what a Dealer may buy it from at auction or offer a customer on trade in. Stay away from KBB,, unless you have excess cash and like paying Retail prices. I've also shopped around on Cars.com for a car and use that to get a general idea of price and condition on what's out there. GL.

Oct 2nd 2012 new

(Quote) John-132457 said: Ok, I know this is going to be sort of an ambiguous question. But, does anyone have any thoughts o...
(Quote) John-132457 said:

Ok, I know this is going to be sort of an ambiguous question. But, does anyone have any thoughts on used car values these days? I've had my heart set on a particular model car for a couple years now. Unfortunately the current values seem to be 20-33% higher now than in the fall of 2010 when I began looking. It's a fairly rare model so I'm stuck weighing the cost of traveling to find one. Weighing the value of lower mileage with some warranty left -vs- higher mileage with little or no warrantly left. Etc, etc...

I've always had very inexpensive used vehicles in the past. So, this would be sort of a treat (though not outrageously expensive by today's standards I guess). Any thoughts?

--hide--
Hi John, wave

My recommendation to you.....have your local dealer do the search for you. If I'm not mistaken, they can find what your looking for and get the vehicle delivered to them. (as long as you're dealing with the same make of car that they deal with) If I'm wrong, I'm sure someone will correct me.

As far as warranty....I do know that some car companies offer "Certified" warranties. (GMC for one).

Happy hunting. biggrin

Oct 2nd 2012 new

(Quote) Dave-146273 said: Just from my experience in being around the Car biz for over 10yrs.. A good way to determine a car...
(Quote) Dave-146273 said:

Just from my experience in being around the Car biz for over 10yrs.. A good way to determine a cars value is go to NADA.com, go through the process and pick out make, year, model of vehicle, and then the options and mileage. After you've done everything the last pg you should see 4 values. Average Trade in value- is closest to Dealer wholesale value- meaning that's pretty close to what a Dealer may buy it from at auction or offer a customer on trade in. Stay away from KBB,, unless you have excess cash and like paying Retail prices. I've also shopped around on Cars.com for a car and use that to get a general idea of price and condition on what's out there. GL.

--hide--

Thanks, Dave. That's pretty much what I've been done. I've been searching on and off for a while now. There is only one of this vehicle available in my area. The dealer is offering me a deal that falls in the middle of the NADA, Edmunds, KBB and CarGurus values. The next best values involve me traveling half way across the country to buy a vehicle with a bit higher mileage. I'd save a bit of money (even after the travel costs), but I wouldn't have much of the bumper to bumper warranty left. My basic worry is that I'd be going through a lot of hassle to achieve a false economy.

The other thing that really kills me is how much these cars have gone up in cost since I started looking in the fall of 2010. being a pretty frugal guy, it pains me to spend a lot.

Oct 2nd 2012 new

(Quote) Linda-624584 said: Hi John, My recommendation to you.....have your local dealer do the search for you. If I&#...
(Quote) Linda-624584 said:

Hi John,

My recommendation to you.....have your local dealer do the search for you. If I'm not mistaken, they can find what your looking for and get the vehicle delivered to them. (as long as you're dealing with the same make of car that they deal with) If I'm wrong, I'm sure someone will correct me.

As far as warranty....I do know that some car companies offer "Certified" warranties. (GMC for one).

Happy hunting.

--hide--

Thaks Linda. I tried getting a local dealer to find me one. But, it wouldn't really save me anything. A friend who manages a big local dealership basically said I was looking for the equivalent of custom order new car. I think he overstated his case a bit...

Oct 5th 2012 new

John,, sounds like you've done a lot of prework. I've was in the same situation as you when i was searching for a particular SUV last yr. After finding a few online, i saw one which had 90% of what i wanted in that model & it was out of state. After making contact w/the dealer online and on the phone, & having a great salesman that sent me about 10-12 pics that described every possible flaw he could find- which was less than a handful. I flew up there within a week and drove the car back home. My point and advice is this. If you know what exactly it is you're looking for (hopefully you've been able to go look at the one locally) you should be able to see the differences between the two. Low mileage adds tremendous value to a vehicle,, not as much as the NADA book says it does, but probably half that value. Use the little bit of remaing B2B to shop around for continued coverage. Warranty prices are usually cheaper if the vehicle is still under Fact warranty, and you can almost buy them from ANY dealer- prices can vary due to markup so shop around. Email me if you have any questions.. since i dont usualy followup on posts. GL

Oct 5th 2012 new

(Quote) John-132457 said: Thanks, Dave. That's pretty much what I've been done. I've been searching on ...

Thanks, Dave. That's pretty much what I've been done. I've been searching on and off for a while now. There is only one of this vehicle available in my area. The dealer is offering me a deal that falls in the middle of the NADA, Edmunds, KBB and CarGurus values. The next best values involve me traveling half way across the country to buy a vehicle with a bit higher mileage. I'd save a bit of money (even after the travel costs), but I wouldn't have much of the bumper to bumper warranty left. My basic worry is that I'd be going through a lot of hassle to achieve a false economy.

The other thing that really kills me is how much these cars have gone up in cost since I started looking in the fall of 2010. being a pretty frugal guy, it pains me to spend a lot.

--hide--
You'll find it's sometimes cheaper to buy a new car nowadays than a used one. That's not the way it usually works, but the economy is what caused this phenomenon. People, being unable to afford new cars, went looking for quality used cars. Supply and demand drove up the prices of used cars. If the economy improves, this will level off.

I'll drive a car as long as I feel safe in it. Once that threshhold is crossed, it's time to start looking. If you read Tom & Ray's column in the newspapers, they recommend buying a used car always, and driving it into the ground -- well, at least until the repair bills are unbearable. Everyone is different in this respect, so it's a matter of personal preference and affordability.

A question to ask yourself is if you'd be contented with the different car, or would your worrying snuff out the pleasure?

Oct 5th 2012 new

(Quote) John-132457 said: Ok, I know this is going to be sort of an ambiguous question. But, does anyone have any thoughts o...

--hide--

Check out this website .... http://www.edmunds.com .... in my job, I need to access this website frequently to get the value of vehicles as a matter of a probate asset. Check it out ... good luck, John!

smile wave

Oct 6th 2012 new

Well, I bought what I wanted! Thanks everyone for weighing in. I have indeed driven most of my previous vehicles into the ground. It was definitely time for something different. The van I was driving had been my Dad's previously. I kept it largely because as a family it was still useful to us. But, the repair bills were beginning to approach the cost of a car payment and as I've had to commute more, the fuel costs were growing too.

So, I am now the proud owner of a 2010 Chevy HHR SS. Fun, reasonably fuel efficient, and with a good amount of cargo space. Got it with just over 18,000 miles so it should last me a good long while if I take care of it.smile

Oct 9th 2012 new

--hide--
I've observed among my friends and relatives the variety of vehicles they drive depends a lot on the human ego. One friend drives a fully loaded Chevy Silverado and paid close to 50 Grand for it. His ego dictated that he had to have every bell & whistle available, including heated seats. I recently bought a low mileage '06 Ford Escape- 4 cyl. 4WD SUV for 11K. Drove it across country twice with no problems- more than comfortable enough for me. But then my ego doesn't show up on the scale.

No slight to anyone intended here- just my observation. If I had the money, I would restore a 1947 Mercury sedan.

Posts 1 - 10 of 14