Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for supportive and informative discussion about divorce and/or the annulment process. All posters must have been previously divorced or annulled.

Saint Eugene De Mazenod is patron of dysfunctional families & Saint Fabiola obtained a divorce from her first husband prior to devoting her life to charitable works.
Learn More: Saint Eugene De Mazenod and Saint Fabiola

Are they legit?

10/07/2012 new

"So, now that you're annulled, does this make your children illegitimate?"

eyepopping

Children are gifts from God and thrive best in a sacramental marriage covenant between one man and one woman in a mutual self-gift of compassion, trust, fidelity and love, open to the conception of life. Unfortunately, for many of us, that sacramental covenant was not to be. The Church recognizes that we did have a civil marriage that is now dissolved. The difference is between the sacramental covenant and the legal contract. Annulments only answer the question of sacramentality in a marriage.

Legitimacy of children is a civil, legal status dealing with custodial and, later on, estate purposes. The Church recognizes the authority of the state to govern these legal, civil, temporal aspects.

So yes. My children, all seven of them, are completely legitimate. Thanks for asking.

10/07/2012 new

Canon law states "The children born of a valid or putative marriage are legitimate."

Simply stated, a putative marriage is one that was considered to be valid but was proven null. The children of such marraige are absolutely legitimate.

Where did this question originate from?

- Lisa

10/07/2012 new

BTW, thats Can. 1137

10/07/2012 new

(Quote) Lisa-727959 said: Where did this question originate from? - Lisa
(Quote) Lisa-727959 said:

- Lisa

--hide--

I will not call him out by name, but a gentleman from CM. He asked the question out of honest ignorance and I fear I may have over-reacted, but momma bear kicks in quite strongly these days. There just needs to be a lot of catechesis about divorce and annulments. Lisa, is legitimacy simply a civil legal term or is it also ecclesial? I thought it was the former.

10/07/2012 new

(Quote) Lisa-727959 said: Canon law states "The children born of a valid or putative marriage are legitimate."...
(Quote) Lisa-727959 said:

Canon law states "The children born of a valid or putative marriage are legitimate."

Simply stated, a putative marriage is one that was considered to be valid but was proven null. The children of such marraige are absolutely legitimate.

- Lisa

--hide--

there are a few really ignorant wrong beliefs common among the faithful. this is one of them. the belief that divorce (rather than remarriage w/o an annulment) is a sin is another of these commonly held wrong beliefs.

10/07/2012 new

Spot on, David. graduate

10/07/2012 new

(Quote) Alice-788574 said: I will not call him out by name, but a gentleman from CM. He asked the question out ...
(Quote) Alice-788574 said:

I will not call him out by name, but a gentleman from CM. He asked the question out of honest ignorance and I fear I may have over-reacted, but momma bear kicks in quite strongly these days. There just needs to be a lot of catechesis about divorce and annulments. Lisa, is legitimacy simply a civil legal term or is it also ecclesial? I thought it was the former.

--hide--

to instruct the ignorant is a spiritual work of mercy.

aqll children are legitimate. all children are worthy.

illegitimate is no longer a legal status and i'm pretty certain it has no canonical bearing either.

10/07/2012 new

i spent the first 9 months of my life in the St Vincent De Paul Infant's Home. My original birth certificate (i was issued a new on after the adoption became final) has my birth mother's name but no father.

so i am illiegitimate. and if any unctuous self-righteous git wants to make something of that, i'll rip the bark right off the ignorant jerk while "mama bear" watches. wink

our parish was in an uproar about 18 years ago because a single woman had a child and wanted him christened. the priest was fine with it, but the married women with young kids went rabid. so the priest threw a shower for the young single mother and invited all the yard dogs plus many other women of the parish.

10/07/2012 new

David, it's a moot point all around then! Sheesh-whiz-bang! clap

10/07/2012 new

(Quote) David-364112 said: our parish was in an uproar about 18 years ago because a single woman had a child and wanted him ...
(Quote) David-364112 said:

our parish was in an uproar about 18 years ago because a single woman had a child and wanted him christened. the priest was fine with it, but the married women with young kids went rabid. so the priest threw a shower for the young single mother and invited all the yard dogs plus many other women of the parish.

--hide--

clap clap clap clap clap clap clap

Good priest. Give him a pat on the head and a priestly treat.

Yes. Somehow, as my marriage exploded, the ground shook at my very conservative parish and people whom I thought were friends shied away, shunned my children, and one woman told me I should not attend Mass without my husband.

It must have been the leopard-skin mini-dress. laughing

I've since found a different parish and I have prayerful support and peace. angel

David, you get a You get a Gold Star!

Posts 1 - 10 of 45