Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

Oct 7th 2012 new

(Quote) Steven-706921 said: The statistics of the economic direction are all pointed in the wrong direction to generate such...
(Quote) Steven-706921 said:

The statistics of the economic direction are all pointed in the wrong direction to generate such a drop. The economy has been headed into a recession, and all the real events are still pressing the U.S. in that direction.

And yet somehow 830,000 people have magically been found to be employed all along! I smelled this was coming for a week, and anyone with any sense could see this coming, but I have to give them props for trying to make the obvious look real.

--hide--

I have not seen anyone mention the one factor that goes into these statistics that can produce a seeming inconsistency like this to occur.

And that is the seasonal adjusment factor.

As an example; College classes start toward the end of September, a lot of people, college students, disappear from the job statistics. They are neither counted as unemployed or having dropped out of the job market. They just disappear. Since the number of college students returning to classes with no jobs could skew the unemployed numbers higher, that "surge" is factored into the seasonal adjustment factor.

Other things like a seasonal drop in farm workers and other things which might skew the numbers are all factored in.

Another example; over the next month or so a lot of people will find jobs in retail stores gearing up for the Christmas rush. This are mainly part time and/or temporary jobs that disappear with the end of the Christmas shopping season. So a seasonal factor is taken into account so that it does not appear that employment had an unnatural jump up or down when it ends.

And in calculating the seasonal adjustment factor is where games can be played.

I agree with what many have noted here. I believe it is unlikely that the Bureau of Labor Statistics is gaming numbers to make Obama look good. But, as Patricia has pointed out, we are in the midst of Chicago style politics now. And under the rules of the game as it is played in Chicago, anything is possible.

I find it interesting, for example, that usually when employment numbers come out, there is usually a final adjustment figure released for the previous number. And the way it has been going for months now, is that the final figure for the previous period was always higher unemployment than was initially reported for that period. Now I don't know if that number was released this time, but if it were, there has been no mention of it anywhere in the media that I can find.

Oct 7th 2012 new

BTW, here's what else the O'bummer (mal)administration is doing: telling defense contractors to hold off on layoff notices due to the Sequestration until after the election, and even offering to waive fines for violations of the 60-day advanced warning rule (the WARN act).

www.theblaze.com

Still think those employment numbers are for real? mischievous

Oct 7th 2012 new

(Quote) Steven-706921 said: BTW, here's what else the O'bummer (mal)administration is doing: telling defense contrac...

BTW, here's what else the O'bummer (mal)administration is doing: telling defense contractors to hold off on layoff notices due to the Sequestration until after the election, and even offering to waive fines for violations of the 60-day advanced warning rule (the WARN act).

www.theblaze.com

Still think those employment numbers are for real?

--hide--
I like this article in the Post, You never know with Chicago politics???www.nypost.com

Oct 8th 2012 new

Well, I know his campaign is taking illegal foreign contributions....see my thread.

www.catholicmatch.com

Oct 8th 2012 new

(Quote) Steven-706921 said: BTW, here's what else the O'bummer (mal)administration is doing: telling defense contrac...

www.theblaze.com

Still think those employment numbers are for real?

--hide--
Those poor people! This just isn't right. God, I pray AGAIN that this man does not get elected. These people atleast have the right to know what is going to happen so they can start preparing.

Oct 8th 2012 new

(Quote) Cheryl-409772 said: Well, I know his campaign is taking illegal foreign contributions....see my thread.http:...
(Quote) Cheryl-409772 said:

Well, I know his campaign is taking illegal foreign contributions....see my thread.

www.catholicmatch.com

--hide--

I believe the most you can say is that there is evidence suggesting that his campaign is accepting illegal foreign contributions. I don't believe there is any proof all the small donations actually came from the foreign sites that are linked to the OFA site.

Oct 8th 2012 new

(Quote) Jerry-74383 said: I believe the most you can say is that there is evidence suggesting that his campaign is ...
(Quote) Jerry-74383 said:

I believe the most you can say is that there is evidence suggesting that his campaign is accepting illegal foreign contributions. I don't believe there is any proof all the small donations actually came from the foreign sites that are linked to the OFA site.

--hide--

Then why are virtually all foreign visits to Obama's site linked directly to the donations pages and not the main page itself?

Oct 8th 2012 new

(Quote) Victor-544727 said: (Quote) Jerry-74383 said: I believe the most you can say is that there is...
(Quote) Victor-544727 said:

Quote:
Jerry-74383 said:

Then why are virtually all foreign visits to Obama's site linked directly to the donations pages and not the main page itself?

--hide--

Hyperlinks are static objects; they may suggest something shady is going on, but they prove nothing. Nor does the number of sub-$200 donations: they could be from legal sources. Unlikely, but still a possibility.

Oct 8th 2012 new

(Quote) Jerry-74383 said: Hyperlinks are static objects; they may suggest something shady is going on, but ...
(Quote) Jerry-74383 said:

Hyperlinks are static objects; they may suggest something shady is going on, but they prove nothing. Nor does the number of sub-$200 donations: they could be from legal sources. Unlikely, but still a possibility.

--hide--

Really? Then how would these foreign interests link directly to the donations pages - bypassing the main site - unless the administrators were providing that direct link in their advertising to these foreign interests? They got the hyperlinks from somewhere - someone had to provide them.

Oct 8th 2012 new

(Quote) Victor-544727 said: Really? Then how would these foreign interests link directly to the donations pages - bypass...
(Quote) Victor-544727 said:

Really? Then how would these foreign interests link directly to the donations pages - bypassing the main site - unless the administrators were providing that direct link in their advertising to these foreign interests? They got the hyperlinks from somewhere - someone had to provide them.

--hide--

The same way you link to any other page: visit it and copy the URL from the browser address bar.

Even if the addresses were provided by OFA staff, it doesn't provide that anyone used them to make a donation.

I'm not trying to defend Obama, and as I said before, I certainly think this smells very bad and should be investigated fully. My point here is that we have to be careful not to overstate the meaning of the existing evidence: all it does is damage our credibility.

Posts 11 - 20 of 40