Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

Ana's topic was fabulous, but I have a simpler question. Does anyone just go on a date when they are asked just because? While I understand that we are all (most - OK...don't shoot me here) seeking long term relationships with people we respect and can serve God with. We all have high ideals. What about simple fun? I'm sorry, but every man I meet is not a prospective husband; every person that asks me out is not necessarily a person I want to seriously date. That does not stop me from going out now and again.

In two different cases recently, I have shared a meal with a person - one from school and one from church. I can honestly tell you that if I had seen either one here, I probably would have kept looking. They are BOTH devout christians, one is obviously catholic. They are also interesting, vital, God-fearing men who I share careers in common with. If I was in the position to date, I would gladly date either of these men. I would NEVER have known that if I had shot down a friendly dinner invitation.

I guess my question is this (and it's been asked before I think somewhat more formally)...do we get so wrapped up in meeting the perfect person that we forget how to live? Life is a journey, not a destination. I like sharing that journey with other people, male and female. Thoughts anyone?? Both of these men, through simple conversation, gave me information I needed to complete thoughts that I had been praying about. How much longer would it have taken had I said no because...I am not in a position to date, or they were not the 'perfect' person I was looking?? heart

Oct 8th 2012 new

(Quote) AnneMarie-641597 said: Ana's topic was fabulous, but I have a simpler question. Does anyone just go on a date wh...
(Quote) AnneMarie-641597 said:

Ana's topic was fabulous, but I have a simpler question. Does anyone just go on a date when they are asked just because? While I understand that we are all (most - OK...don't shoot me here) seeking long term relationships with people we respect and can serve God with. We all have high ideals. What about simple fun? I'm sorry, but every man I meet is not a prospective husband; every person that asks me out is not necessarily a person I want to seriously date. That does not stop me from going out now and again.

In two different cases recently, I have shared a meal with a person - one from school and one from church. I can honestly tell you that if I had seen either one here, I probably would have kept looking. They are BOTH devout christians, one is obviously catholic. They are also interesting, vital, God-fearing men who I share careers in common with. If I was in the position to date, I would gladly date either of these men. I would NEVER have known that if I had shot down a friendly dinner invitation.

I guess my question is this (and it's been asked before I think somewhat more formally)...do we get so wrapped up in meeting the perfect person that we forget how to live? Life is a journey, not a destination. I like sharing that journey with other people, male and female. Thoughts anyone?? Both of these men, through simple conversation, gave me information I needed to complete thoughts that I had been praying about. How much longer would it have taken had I said no because...I am not in a position to date, or they were not the 'perfect' person I was looking??

--hide--

Assuming one is not already in a relationship where the dinner engagement would be a potential source of jealousy (obviously not the case for you), why not? I'm not sure I'd call the situation a date, but that's just a label.

Oct 8th 2012 new

Just a label. I have a sister-in-law in Pittsburgh that I schedule coffee dates with (phone), and I have a standing Saturday night date with my grandson for ice cream after vigil mass. Thanks! heart

Oct 8th 2012 new

(Quote) AnneMarie-641597 said: Just a label. I have a sister-in-law in Pittsburgh that I schedule coffee dates with (phone),...

Just a label. I have a sister-in-law in Pittsburgh that I schedule coffee dates with (phone), and I have a standing Saturday night date with my grandson for ice cream after vigil mass. Thanks!

--hide--

Perhaps it is the label, not the circumstances, that is the cause of the uneasiness?

Oct 8th 2012 new

Seems to be the case from what I see here. It just seems really sad that there is the possibility of so many missed connections. I know it has taken me over two years to fight my way back from the physical, mental and emotional aspects of a failed marriage. I am certainly not willing to waste my life waiting for something that may never be, nor am I willing to hold myself distant from a potential friend due to gender. I'd miss a lot of really amazing people if I did all that. heart

Oct 8th 2012 new

(Quote) AnneMarie-641597 said: Ana's topic was fabulous, but I have a simpler question. Does anyone just go on a date wh...

I guess my question is this (and it's been asked before I think somewhat more formally)...do we get so wrapped up in meeting the perfect person that we forget how to live? Life is a journey, not a destination. I like sharing that journey with other people, male and female. Thoughts anyone?? Both of these men, through simple conversation, gave me information I needed to complete thoughts that I had been praying about. How much longer would it have taken had I said no because...I am not in a position to date, or they were not the 'perfect' person I was looking??

--hide--

dating is a serious sin! lil mikie

Oct 8th 2012 new

(Quote) AnneMarie-641597 said: Seems to be the case from what I see here. It just seems really sad that there is the possibi...

Seems to be the case from what I see here. It just seems really sad that there is the possibility of so many missed connections. I know it has taken me over two years to fight my way back from the physical, mental and emotional aspects of a failed marriage. I am certainly not willing to waste my life waiting for something that may never be, nor am I willing to hold myself distant from a potential friend due to gender. I'd miss a lot of really amazing people if I did all that.

--hide--

Oh AM, you have that rarest of gifts - good sense.

Why must we complicate everything? Just go on a date or out for as meal. Don't overanlyze it. Don't overburden it with silly expectations. just see how things unfold.

Oct 8th 2012 new

heart Thanks David, I try.

Oct 8th 2012 new

(Quote) AnneMarie-641597 said: Thanks David, I try.

Thanks David, I try.

--hide--

nope. you don't just try. you succeed. you're the best!! heart

Oct 8th 2012 new

--hide--

Right on, hon!
It's always seemed off to me to reject spending time with a person of the opposite sex because he/she is not "the one" upon first sight. That seems to be negating a person's inherent value. Definitely not a Loving thing to do.

Posts 1 - 10 of 28