Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

Oct 8th 2012 new

I just want to congraluate you. It is not often one finds a Catholic that insists on following the teachings of yesteryear. Be proud of your faith. Jesse

Oct 8th 2012 new

(Quote) Jesse-563480 said: I just want to congraluate you. It is not often one finds a Catholic that insists on following th...
(Quote) Jesse-563480 said:

I just want to congraluate you. It is not often one finds a Catholic that insists on following the teachings of yesteryear. Be proud of your faith. Jesse

--hide--

To make sure nobody is confused: abstaining from meat is Fridays throughout the year is not a requirement of yesteryear -- it is the current Church law. Yes, in some locations a substitute form of penance is permitted outside of Lent, but the basic requirement is still there.

Oct 8th 2012 new

(Quote) Jim-624621 said: (Quote) Christina-816969 said: We follow this traditional rule of abstinence in our...
(Quote) Jim-624621 said:
Quote:
Christina-816969 said:

We follow this traditional rule of abstinence in our house, as well. Although I must say that we attempt to make the penance of abstinence and fasting extend to a deeper level than just "not eating meat." The corresponding alms giving or other works of mercy are an important part of this Friday rule.

Christina

Christina, that's right. And abstaining from meat isn't about eating lobster and other expensive sea foods either. It's more of a tunafish, catfish or peanut butter and jelly kind of thing. That is penance, not a 2 pound lobster.
--hide--

OR Halibut...or scallops... Those would not be penance for me...

Oct 8th 2012 new
(Quote) Marian-83994 said: OR Halibut...or scallops... Those would not be penance for me...
(Quote) Marian-83994 said:

--hide--

Marian, I am not a scallops kind of guy, and ever since BP fractured the earth's crust in the gulf of Mexico in 2010, I don't eat the oysters anymore. I don't trust the seafood. Tuna fish is probably the best option on Friday for me. biggrin
Oct 8th 2012 new

(Quote) Jim-624621 said: (Quote) Marian-83994 said: OR Halibut...or scallops... Those would not be p...
(Quote) Jim-624621 said:
Quote:
Marian-83994 said:

Marian, I am not a scallops kind of guy, and ever since BP fractured the earth's crust in the gulf of Mexico in 2010, I don't eat the oysters anymore. I don't trust the seafood. Tuna fish is probably the best option on Friday for me.
--hide--

OH! OK!!!

Oct 8th 2012 new

(Quote) Jim-624621 said: (Quote) Marian-83994 said: OR Halibut...or scallops... Those would not be p...
(Quote) Jim-624621 said:
Quote:
Marian-83994 said:

Marian, I am not a scallops kind of guy, and ever since BP fractured the earth's crust in the gulf of Mexico in 2010, I don't eat the oysters anymore. I don't trust the seafood. Tuna fish is probably the best option on Friday for me.
--hide--

Well maybe the fish won't have to be from the Gulf next time a lady offers to cook for you..... wink

Oct 8th 2012 new
(Quote) Marian-83994 said: Well maybe the fish won't have to be from the Gulf next time a lady offers to cook for you.....
(Quote) Marian-83994 said:

Well maybe the fish won't have to be from the Gulf next time a lady offers to cook for you.....

--hide--

Aside from my mother and sister-in-law in Atlanta, no woman has cooked for me in more years than I can remember. That's okay.... another good Friday meal is spaghetti and plain Ragu. biggrin
Oct 8th 2012 new

(Quote) Cat-163322 said: And yet, if you told them you weren't eating meat because you were a vegan, they w...
(Quote) Cat-163322 said:

And yet, if you told them you weren't eating meat [on fridays] because you were a vegan, they wouldn't look at you as if you had lobsters crawling out of your ears, they would admire you conviction!

I think any kind of fasting is good. Just keep in mind Matthew 6:18 "(But when you fast, anoint your head and wash your face) so that you may not appear to be fasting, except to your Father who is hidden. And your Father who sees what is hidden will repay you." No need to bring up the fact you aren't eating meat as there should be lots of options these days in restaurants for non-meat eaters.

Cat

Quote:
Matt-849404 said:

Hello Catholic Match "Forumers"!

I just wanted to put something out there and see what other Catholics think of Abstinence. I am a Traditional Catholic and I follow the traditional rules of the Catholic Church, which includes abstaining from meat on every Friday of the year, not just in Lent.

When I go out to eat or something with friends on a Friday, and I won't order or eat anything with meat, it raises the question, and when I tell them I don't eat meat on Friday, they look at me like I have lobsters crawling out of my ears! Lol! There's usually one person who will make the obvious statement: It's not Lent.

They just can't believe that I go without eating meat every Friday of the year, like it's that much of a sacrifice that it's just unthinkable.

So I just wanted to see what other Catholics on here think of Abstinence from meat on Fridays, or if I'm the only one that follows this anymore. (Not that it will matter in the slightest if I am, I'll still do what I know is right.)

--hide--

Woops! "Abstinence" in the fuller sense --- yeah, we are supposed to abstain from meat on all Fridays, unless there is a dispensation, and then you must have another penance that is at least as challenging. It's not enough to say I am using the dispensation because I enjoy meat so much --- you have to have a real reason. Also, we're supposed to follow this on Ember days as well, and of course, Ash Wednesday. After that, we should ALSO aim to mortify our appetites with not always seasoning our food exactly as we would like it, or always eating what we want because it is available. Our Lord says that these types of penances ALONG with prayer (not just prayer alone) are sometimes the only way to rid certain types of devils. Also, it curbs the fighting of one's own flesh against the spirit of God's grace. This obtains an increase in temperance, which then develops into an increase of meekness, chastity, and even eventually fortitude. How cool is that?

Oct 8th 2012 new

(Quote) Mary-25961 said: The old testament also states, "blunt offerings and sacrifices I seek not but a humble and...
(Quote) Mary-25961 said:

The old testament also states, "blunt offerings and sacrifices I seek not but a humble and contrite heart I will not spurn."

--hide--

I'm sorry but that was taken out of context. Read through to the end of Psalm 50 (51 in some bibles) and you will see that this was meaning to refer to the old law of the Israelites, forshadowing to a future sacrifice of atonement of the Messiah (Christ's). At the end of the Psalm, "Then shalt thou accept the sacrifice of justice, oblations and whole burnt offerings: then shall they lay calves upon thy altar." This is PLURAL refering to those who are united to the Messiah.

"Deliver me from blood, O God, thou God of my salvation: and my tongue shall extol thy justice. [17] O Lord, thou wilt open my lips: and my mouth shall declare thy praise. [18] For if thou hadst desired sacrifice, I would indeed have given it: with burnt offerings thou wilt not be delighted. [19] A sacrifice to God is an afflicted spirit: a contrite and humbled heart, O God, thou wilt not despise. [20] Deal favourably, O Lord, in thy good will with Sion; that the walls of Jerusalem may be built up.

[21] Then shalt thou accept the sacrifice of justice, oblations and whole burnt offerings: then shall they lay calves upon thy altar."

Clearly, this is not saying that the offering of oneself is wrong; but rather it is using the 'burnt offerings' and 'calves upon (thy) altar' and metaphors for penance of those who are truly humble of Christ. "For if thou hadst desire sacrifice..." --- is referring to the liturgical law of the burnt offerings as sacrifices. Now, God has specifically ASKED for sacrifices(of lambs, for example) in the time of the old testament Jews, but those were specific instances, and this psalm refers to the old law in a prophetic way --- referring to it as if by the time this was written it was already passed. But Jesus DOES ask for us to do penance. We have a wrong understanding of the Bride of Christ and its authority if we dismiss the laws of the Church today.

Oct 8th 2012 new

(Quote) Lisa-213887 said: I have friends that do this on wednesday and Sundays as well. I haven't found anyone that just...
(Quote) Lisa-213887 said:

I have friends that do this on wednesday and Sundays as well. I haven't found anyone that just doesn't eat meat on Fridays.... however, kudos for you on this. Since fridays are an easy EAT out or celebration day....... it is a sacrifice in my opinion.

pretty cool....

--hide--

Hi Lisa, yes, it is 'cool'.

The reason the Church traditionally holds Friday as a day of abstinence is because it commemorates the day of the week that the Lord was given as a sacrifice for our sins. Sunday is traditionally not a day of absinence, so if one was going to chose one or two days only to abstain, the Church has discouraged that extraordinary day being chosen as Sunday, because on that day we commemorate the Lord's Resurrection. If we are already committed to some form of daily abstinence, that Sunday is permissible, but not encouraged if it is chosen out of the 7 days as a penitential day as that would not be in keeping with the spirit of the liturgy.

Posts 81 - 90 of 104