Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

10/10/2012 new
(Quote) Maricela-876143 said: That's right. The screening process prior to the actual donation takes care of those...
(Quote) Maricela-876143 said:

That's right. The screening process prior to the actual donation takes care of those questions; they ask about hepatitis and other diseases and certain medications that one must not be taking in order to donate. They check your iron levels, too.

Hope this helps. :)

--hide--

I have a hereditary disease called hemachromatosis. It is also called iron overload or iron storage disease. It is the opposite of being anemic. My body keeps too much iron. I found out about this since my father has the disease also. I was able to start treatment earlier in life than my father. It took more than 2 years to diagnose my father with this disease in the early 70s. No one knew about it back then. The main detector of iron storage is serim ferritin. This is not included with a basic metabolic panel when your doctor orders a drug test. Also, we look at serum iron, transferrin saturation and total iron binding capacity.

Since the primary use of iron by the body is in the production of red blood cells, if the body's red blood cell count is reduced by therapeutic phlebotomy, the body goes into a mode of releasing stored iron to make new red blood cells thereby reducing the amount of iron for hemachromatosis patients. When I first started giving blood more than 10 years ago, I gave a full pint twice a week for 4 months and brought my serum ferritin down from 2200 to 250. I continued once a week thereafter for several more months until I was considered "de-ironed". Now I have a prescription from my hematologist for weekly therapeutic phlebotomies down to a hematocrit of 33. I actually have not donated since my cancer surgery 6 months ago, and my serum ferritin sits at 13, a low number for most people, but a good number for me.

There is another way to remove iron from the body called chelating (key late ing). But it also removes other trace metals that you then have to put back in your body with supplements. I am of the opinion that if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

The Blood Centers in Louisiana take my blood for free. Hope this lasts. It is convenient and quick. I think they use parts of the blood. I have given many more pints in a year than are allowed for most because of my prescription. Since I keep my iron level under control, I am able to live a normal life. All of my brothers (3) and sisters (3) also have this disease. Left untreated, it can lead to stroke, cirrhosis of the liver, congestive heart failure and bronzed diabetes. So far, only one brother has diabetes.

Prior to getting treated for this disease, I rarely gave blood. Now

I have more T shirts from the Blood Center than any other clothing item in my closet.
10/10/2012 new

I have been a regular donor for many years - they like my A+ blood! But after having a basal cell carcinoma removed, I have to be cancer free one year before I can donate again. Guess the ball is in someone else's court for awhile!

10/10/2012 new

(Quote) Jim-624621 said: I have a hereditary disease called hemachromatosis. It is also called iron overload or iron storag...
(Quote) Jim-624621 said:

I have a hereditary disease called hemachromatosis. It is also called iron overload or iron storage disease.
--hide--

You're an iron man without having to run a single marathon! biggrin

10/10/2012 new
(Quote) Jerry-74383 said: You're an iron man without having to run a single marathon!
(Quote) Jerry-74383 said:

You're an iron man without having to run a single marathon!

--hide--

Except the tracks for this marathon are not running around a football field; they are on my arms from the needle marks. They have to use a 15 or 16 gauge needle because a smaller needle clots before a pint is drawn. Ask me how I know. biggrin
10/10/2012 new
I started donating blood several yrs ago.Our church had a blood drive,so even though I am

scared of needles,I gave blood.Now I go all the time.Still afraid of needles,but do it anyway.
10/10/2012 new

(Quote) Jim-624621 said: Except the tracks for this marathon are not running around a football field; they are on my arms f...
(Quote) Jim-624621 said:

Except the tracks for this marathon are not running around a football field; they are on my arms from the needle marks. They have to use a 15 or 16 gauge needle because a smaller needle clots before a pint is drawn. Ask me how I know.
--hide--

I donate when I have time, which is rarely- I am happy to see that they start early in the small towns, I know about needing to get the vlood out quickly- helps to move my fingers :o))

10/10/2012 new

(Quote) Christine-153962 said: Hi All,I gave blood yesterday at a neighboring parish and have been a regular donor f...
(Quote) Christine-153962 said:

Hi All,

I gave blood yesterday at a neighboring parish and have been a regular donor for 25 years. I wonder how many of you give blood regularly. I understand not everyone can due to health reasons, but just as there's political and religious polls on this site, it would be nice to know who takes the time to donate blood.

And, if you don't currently donate, please consider it.

Have a great day!

Christine

--hide--

My employer partners with Florida Blood Services whereby they have a blood drive every two months. It makes it very convenient to donate.

I've been donating blood for several years. I believe that a few minutes of slight discomfort to me is well worth the value of saving another person's life. If someone is healthy, I believe that donating blood is one of the most important things they can do for another person. It is literally saving another's life.

10/10/2012 new

I think I am up to 104 Donations. I go 4 or so times per year.

10/10/2012 new

I try to donate regularly. I figure, as long as they can use it, I have no excuse not to do it no matter how much I dislike the experience. Tonight I tried to give my second platelet donation, but my little vein was not cooperating irked They suggested I stick with "whole blood" donations. Works for me, but I may try platelets again sometime. They seem to be in higher demand than whole blood around here.

10/10/2012 new

I have given lots of blood, many gallons. Then a few years ago I my body ran out of blood, they don't know what happened. said my body quit making blood, had to have a transfusion. Now I am fine and body is keeping up, would like to give again but they said I shouldn't. Always like giving blood though, I would race the people next to me and see who could fill the bag up the fastest. The only one to ever beat me was a old nun. who was a good friend of mine.

Posts 11 - 20 of 65