Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for supportive and informative discussion about divorce and/or the annulment process. All posters must have been previously divorced or annulled.

Saint Eugene De Mazenod is patron of dysfunctional families & Saint Fabiola obtained a divorce from her first husband prior to devoting her life to charitable works.
Learn More: Saint Eugene De Mazenod and Saint Fabiola

10/09/2012 new

A MORE important question is this - once you have the annulment - Were YOU a FORNICATOR during that cohabitation and living in SIN?

10/09/2012 new

(Quote) Stephen-725391 said: A MORE important question is this - once you have the annulment - Were YOU a FORNICATOR during ...
(Quote) Stephen-725391 said:

A MORE important question is this - once you have the annulment - Were YOU a FORNICATOR during that cohabitation and living in SIN?

--hide--

Ridiculous, ain't it? rolling eyes

10/12/2012 new

(Quote) Stephen-725391 said: A MORE important question is this - once you have the annulment - Were YOU a FORNICATOR during ...

--hide--

How DARE you address another member in public in this fashion!!

You have real gall to ask a question like this.

10/12/2012 new

--hide--

That depends on whether the parties were aware the marriage was invalid. For example, a Catholic who marries outside the Church without a dispensation knowing at the time the marriage is invalid would be morally culpable for fornication for each sexual act with their legal spouse. This is why those who divorce and remarry without an annulment may not receive Holy Communion.

If the marriage was putative (i.e., the spouses believed it to be valid), then there is no moral culpability for fornication.

10/12/2012 new

(Quote) Alice-788574 said: Ridiculous, ain't it?
(Quote) Alice-788574 said:

Ridiculous, ain't it?

--hide--

It's not a ridiculous question at all. Please see my response to Stephen's post.

10/12/2012 new

(Quote) Jerry-74383 said: If the marriage was putative (i.e., the spouses believed it to be valid), then there is n...
(Quote) Jerry-74383 said:

If the marriage was putative (i.e., the spouses believed it to be valid), then there is no moral culpability for fornication.

--hide--

Such strong language! Such a negative word.

Under those circumstances, it wouldn't be fornication but marital love and intimacy. Why call an acceptable expression of marital love fornication?

10/12/2012 new

(Quote) David-364112 said: How DARE you address another member in public in this fashion!! You have real gall to ...
(Quote) David-364112 said:

How DARE you address another member in public in this fashion!!

You have real gall to ask a question like this.

--hide--

BOY, you got GALL to NOT READ IT as intended! or stated.

I can see where it could be mis-read, so read it as a general question to all annulled Catholics!

10/12/2012 new

(Quote) Jerry-74383 said: That depends on whether the parties were aware the marriage was invalid. For example, a C...
(Quote) Jerry-74383 said:

That depends on whether the parties were aware the marriage was invalid. For example, a Catholic who marries outside the Church without a dispensation knowing at the time the marriage is invalid would be morally culpable for fornication for each sexual act with their legal spouse. This is why those who divorce and remarry without an annulment may not receive Holy Communion.

--hide--

The question, in my mind, goes more to the 3rd leg of the parties to the marriage and it's culpability due to it's failure in the beginning of the marriage.

10/12/2012 new

(Quote) David-364112 said: Such strong language! Such a negative word. Under those circumstances, it wouldn&#...
(Quote) David-364112 said:

Such strong language! Such a negative word.

Under those circumstances, it wouldn't be fornication but marital love and intimacy. Why call an acceptable expression of marital love fornication?

--hide--

The premise is that an annulment was granted, thus there was no valid marriage. There may well have been love and intimacy, but neither are unique to the marital state. To refer so such as "marital love" is misleading, if not disingenuous.

To be clear, as long as both parties are unaware the marriage is invalid there is no sin because sin must be a willful act -- no knowledge, no willful offense to God, no sin.

10/12/2012 new

(Quote) Stephen-725391 said: (Quote) Jerry-74383 said: That depends on whether the parties were aware...

Quote:
Jerry-74383 said:

The question, in my mind, goes more to the 3rd leg of the parties to the marriage and it's culpability due to it's failure in the beginning of the marriage.

--hide--

If you are alluding to members of the clergy who failed to properly form and/or vet candidates for marriage (or the faithful in general), there is a great deal of potential for culpability there as well. as there is for those responsible for their formation, etc. But this is another discussion entirely.

Posts 21 - 30 of 45