Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

10/13/2012 new

Maybe their thought was that they should hurry up and award it to the EU.... before the EU completely falls apart and disappears. scratchchin

Ed

10/13/2012 new

From the Nobel site.... It was awarded to the EU "for over six decades contributed to the advancement of peace and reconciliation, democracy and human rights in Europe".

www.nobelprize.org

Whatever.

Ed

10/13/2012 new

Too late for 2012, but perhaps a very good candidate for 2013.....

The 14 year old Pakistani girl that was shot in the head and neck by the Taliban (this week) for standing up for her right to go to school and for consistently resisting the draconian restrictions of the Taliban since she was 11 years old. She will likely survive, but the Taliban has vowed to finish her off if she survives.

Read more about it >>>

www.telegraph.co.uk

www.latimes.com

Ed

10/13/2012 new

(Quote) John-336509 said: It's a better choice than when the picked Obama for no other reason than he wasn't Bush.
(Quote) John-336509 said:

It's a better choice than when the picked Obama for no other reason than he wasn't Bush.

The Nobel "Peace" Prize is a joke.

--hide--

But also more ironic since they are praising it for advancing "democracy" when it's integrating into a bureaucratic technocracy. There is very little accountability, much less "democracy" in the EU.

So the "Noble Roman Pizza Surprise" is still a joke. eatnobleromans.com

10/13/2012 new

(Quote) ED-20630 said: I believe that that Nobel Committee has greatly degraded the image of the peace prize over the past c...
(Quote) ED-20630 said:

I believe that that Nobel Committee has greatly degraded the image of the peace prize over the past couple of decades with some of its' questionable winners.

This following link is very interesting. It links to the peace prize page of the Nobel organization. It lists all of the winners back to 1901. Click on the year and it will show a photo and a short description of why it was awarded. Click on their photos and it will give a biography of the person:

www.nobelprize.org

Several that leave me scratching my head....

2012 - European Union... "for over six decades contributed to the advancement of peace and reconciliation, democracy and human rights in Europe". >>> Huh?

2009 - Barak Obama... "for his extraordinary efforts to strengthen international diplomacy and cooperation between peoples". >>> He hadn't even done anything yet. Would he still get that award today?

2007 - Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) and Albert Arnold (Al) Gore Jr.... "for their efforts to build up and disseminate greater knowledge about man-made climate change, and to lay the foundations for the measures that are needed to counteract such change" >>> ,

1994 - Yasser Arafat, Shimon Peres, Yitzhak Rabin... "for their efforts to create peace in the Middle East". >>> Yasser Arafat > The TERRORIST!?

Perhaps the peace committee would do well to concentrate on more worthy individuals like Mother Theresa (1979), Lech Walesa (1983)(instrumental in helping to lead Poland out of communism) , Elie Wiesel (1986)(Chairman of the United States Holocaust Memorial Council from 1980 - 1986, and much more). Martin Luther King Jr. (1964) and Mohamed Anwar al-Sadat [President of Egypt], Menachem Begin [Prime minister of Israel] (1978)(for the peace accord forged between those two nations). And others....

Interesting.... There was no peace prize awarded for five years during WWII.

I will have to sleep on it to come up with the most worthy candidate for 2012.

Just my thoughts.

Ed

--hide--
Yasser Arafat was most assuredly a terrorist- at one time- just as Menachem Begin and Yitzhak Shamir were as well. All three went on to become statesmen- Arafat as President of the Palestinian National Authority, Begin and Shamir as Prime Ministers of Israel. One man's terrorist is another's freedom fighter. Arafat and Begin both deserved their Peace Prizes because of their later contributions to a more peaceful Middle East. Looking at the sad situation there today, at least it was the thought that counted.

I agree with you Ed- the Nobel Committee has disgraced itself lately, especially with it's 2009 Award.

www.haaretz.com

10/13/2012 new

Hi Peter,

I put Yasser Arafat into a different category because I have always felt that he maintained ties with terrorists up until the day he died. My impression has been that in his later years he was pretending to be a statesman while maintaining ties with terrorists. Perhaps that is the best he could do because he also had to deal with groups like Hamaas. It is difficult for me to figure that out. scratchchin I'm sure God will judge that.

I think that the Nobel committee could find more worthy candidates overall.... as compared to some of the selections in recent decades.

The more that I think about it, that 14 year-old Pakistani girl that was shot in the head (this week) by a member of the Taliban could be a very good candidate for next year.>>>> See my other post for details of her story.

Ed

10/13/2012 new

(Quote) ED-20630 said: Hi Peter, I put Yasser Arafat into a different category because I have ...
(Quote) ED-20630 said:

Hi Peter,

I put Yasser Arafat into a different category because I have always felt that he maintained ties with terrorists up until the day he died. My impression has been that in his later years he was pretending to be a statesman while maintaining ties with terrorists. Perhaps that is the best he could do because he also had to deal with groups like Hamaas. It is difficult for me to figure that out. I'm sure God will judge that.

I think that the Nobel committee could find more worthy candidates overall.... as compared to some of the selections in recent decades.

The more that I think about it, that 14 year-old Pakistani girl that was shot in the head (this week) by a member of the Taliban could be a very good candidate for next year.>>>> See my other post for details of her story.

Ed

--hide--
Ed, we Americans are conditioned to putting Arabs in general in a different category, but that's another story and off-topic here. I am familiar with the young Pakistani girl's story, and I fully agree with you. Perhaps the Nobel Committee will come to their senses next year. There is also:

Maggie Gobran

Also known as "Mama Maggie," the Egyptian Coptic Christian was jointly nominated by five Republican U.S. congressmen for her work helping families and children living among the garbage slums of Cairo.

"This is a woman who has dedicated her life to serving the poorest of the poor in Egypt and has often been referred to as the 'Mother Teresa of Cairo,' " the nominating letter read, posted on the website of one of the five, Rep. Frank Wolf of Virginia. "She has given a voice to the poorest of the poor."

Gobran, whose charity Stephen's Children provides health services, education and training for needy Egyptians of all faiths, including Coptic Christians and Muslims, was the favorite on betting outlet Unibet as of Thursday lunchtime.

10/13/2012 new

(Quote) Peter-449116 said: I understand, but don't agree why they awarded it to the EU. It's still not as inappropri...
(Quote) Peter-449116 said:

I understand, but don't agree why they awarded it to the EU. It's still not as inappropriate as awarding it to our "Dear Leader." There are numerous people across the globe far more deserving of the Nobel Peace Prize, not the least among them this man:

www.youtube.com

--hide--
Interesting video....we prolifers and freedom of religion fighters need a color.

Regarding the Nobel Peace Prize....what a joke....if Obama had been any kind of man he would have declined it knowing he didn't do anything to deserve it....Just because of his race or politics....it is about peace not the aforementioned. If I was in his shoes, I sure hope I would have refused it. This time, it can't even be refused seeing as to how they gave it to a group....who is on this committee that decides this stuff anyway.

10/14/2012 new

Maybe the EU will divvy up the prize money (about $1.2 million, I believe) to help bail out each of the EU member countries that are going bankrupt. Maybe a $100,000 to each country. That would be a fine way to celebrate the win.

Ed

10/14/2012 new

(Quote) ED-20630 said: I believe that that Nobel Committee has greatly degraded the image of the peace prize over the past c...
(Quote) ED-20630 said:

I believe that that Nobel Committee has greatly degraded the image of the peace prize over the past couple of decades with some of its' questionable winners.

This following link is very interesting. It links to the peace prize page of the Nobel organization. It lists all of the winners back to 1901. Click on the year and it will show a photo and a short description of why it was awarded. Click on their photos and it will give a biography of the person:

www.nobelprize.org

Several that leave me scratching my head....

2012 - European Union... "for over six decades contributed to the advancement of peace and reconciliation, democracy and human rights in Europe". >>> Huh?

2009 - Barak Obama... "for his extraordinary efforts to strengthen international diplomacy and cooperation between peoples". >>> He hadn't even done anything yet. Would he still get that award today?

2007 - Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) and Albert Arnold (Al) Gore Jr.... "for their efforts to build up and disseminate greater knowledge about man-made climate change, and to lay the foundations for the measures that are needed to counteract such change" >>> ,

1994 - Yasser Arafat, Shimon Peres, Yitzhak Rabin... "for their efforts to create peace in the Middle East". >>> Yasser Arafat > The TERRORIST!?

Perhaps the peace committee would do well to concentrate on more worthy individuals like Mother Theresa (1979), Lech Walesa (1983)(instrumental in helping to lead Poland out of communism) , Elie Wiesel (1986)(Chairman of the United States Holocaust Memorial Council from 1980 - 1986, and much more). Martin Luther King Jr. (1964) and Mohamed Anwar al-Sadat [President of Egypt], Menachem Begin [Prime minister of Israel] (1978)(for the peace accord forged between those two nations). And others....

Interesting.... There was no peace prize awarded for five years during WWII.

I will have to sleep on it to come up with the most worthy candidate for 2012.

Just my thoughts.

Ed

--hide--

Don't forget Al Gore. Parody keeps repeating itself.

Posts 11 - 20 of 24